ganged vs unganged for the memory ddr2 setting?

tgg

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a new asus board 780v chipset and in the bios for the memory settings theres ganged vs unganged which is the better performing one?

It is amd's version of Nvidia's Locked vs unlocked architecture.

basically allowing you to use your ram in dual channel vs single channel.

Ganged = dual channel mode for ram. All cores get access to 100% of the ram.

unganged = single channel. Each core gets access to a stick of ram.

In theory, the unganged mode is better as each core will get access to data quicker. In theory.

Some limitations apply... and i dont know muchelse.

Edit: sorry, it also alows you to control the clocks indipendantly from eachother.

got his from Darkvette

Yah, there has been debates and tests and a lot of it is theory based and circumstantial but personally I am using ganged.. at least I think I am I have to go into my bios to check but i'm too lazy. Until I see more definitive answers all I can say is test both if you want but you might not notice much unless you benchmark it.

Your memory buss is 128 bit wide and in a ganged mode data can travel either one way or the other but not both directions at the same time.
In a unganged mode the memory buss is split up into two 64 bit busses so data can be sent in both directions at the same time.
This improves performance.

Ganged and unganged are both dual channel memory modes, as long as you are using pairs of RAM. Ganged means you will run one large 128bit dual channel bus, and unganged means you will use 2x64bit dual channel bus. Which is better depends on what apps you use. Heavy multitasking will benefit from nonganged. How multi threaded apps handle ganged or nonganged I'm not sure, but I would guess better performance from nonganged, unless the app requires maximum memory write.

Back