Anyone have a picture of a 16:10 display side by side with a 16:9 display?

Gundam

Weaksauce
Yes I know I can rig something up to see the resolution difference in MS Paint or Photoshop, but I wanted to see a picture of two physical monitors with the same screen size, but with different aspect ratios (ie: 24" LCD 16:9 vs 24" LCD 16:10).

Following image is also photoshopped; 16:9 is a photo of an actual monitor, I made the 16:10 screen by using some math and photo editing. I derived the screen area with a bit of math, then used the frame of the 16:9 monitor around the derived blue screen area to make up the monitor. I think this should be very close to the real thing. :)

1610169ha2.jpg

Math (for anyone who is interested):
Screen dimensions (blue area) of the actual 16:9 screen = 517x291 pixels
New width of the 16:10 monitor = [517 / Cos(A)] * Cos(B) = 503
New height of the 16:10 monitor = [291 / Sin(A)] * Sin(B) = 314
A = Arctan(9/16) , B = Arctan(10/16)

If it's a TN panel, you're not gonna see the top 1/8th of the monitor on the 16:10 due to viewing angle blackout so you might as well get the 16:9 heh

If it's a TN panel, you're not gonna see the top 1/8th of the monitor on the 16:10 due to viewing angle blackout
Sure, TN panels have bad viewing angles, but unless you have some serious problem with your eyes there is no reason for not seeing the top part of a 16:10. don’t exaggerate.

The image on my hanns-g HG281D is just fine too. Was such a great deal for $250 (used). Had it for over a year now.

R0ach doesn't know what he's talking about. 16:10 is perfectly fine for viewing things. Sure, when viewing 16:9 movies, there will be black bars on top and bottom but who can't live with that?

You can also go here and see just about any game compared side by side from 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10... even a few 15:10's.

I personally think 16:10 is the best compromise, but the industry in currently in a big 16:9 push.

HansG 28 inch TN, the official monitor of the Chicago Cabrini Greens housing projects

Meh, I live in Austin, and I really don't care if its the official monitor of anything. It sure beats the shit out of the 19" westy I was using considering the DVI input on that thing died after 10 months.

Its a good monitor. with my HDMI switch from monoprice its perferct for my pc and my ps3.

Back