Firmware update available from Seagate now!

Annnd so far there's one success story posted on the seagate forums. I'm still planning on waiting a couple days, see if there's any other hidden surprises.

Update: now there's several success stories on the seagate forums, and one failure... with a 500gig. I'm still patiently waiting for more feedback.

As an aside, someone called the drive a "brickuda" which made me laugh.

Here's the forum to check for success rates... http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board?board.id=ata_drives

I succesfully applied the firmware update to the following drives:

1x 750GB w/ AD14 firmware
1x 500GB w/ SD15 firmware
7x 1000GB w/ SX15 firmware

The data is still accessible and the 7x1TB were in a raid and
the raid was detected normally by the raid card.

To flash them, I used a second computer to direct attach
a sata cable from the onboard sata port to the hotswap bay -
this way power was never cut to the drive at any time.

Still waiting for an update for the 1.5TBs.
I did update them with the earlier SD1A firmware, but AFAIK
that only addresses the stuttering issue.

Hope this works.

I been losing faith in Seagate lately.

I'm still worried as to whether I'll be able to OCE my ST31500341AS RAID 5 array with any more 1.5TB drives that will probably be CCxx drives. :(

Please more comments. I need to do this to 2 drives right now that are somewhat important to not lose my info on.

Where is the ES.2 firmware update to SN06? Why do we have to contact them for that one and not the 7200.11?

So far I've successfully flashed my 1TB from SD15 to the new SD1A, and it works... I have a 750GB SD15 that is my boot drive for my HTPC, so I want to make sure everything is backed up before flashing it.

I have two 1.5tb drives SD17 upgraded to SD1A. Am I going to have to update them again?

I got 2 more 1.5s in from Tigerdirect today, both came with CC1H firmware and seem to be running good, got copies going to both, getting good speeds and already got over 200GB on each....

i just noticed my maxtor drives have the same numbers as the seagate drives. Are these affected as well??

highly suggested, SD1A was bricking drives

The support site is showing that the firmware is still in validation. Does that mean the SD1X firmware isn't the right one?

I should probably wait for the official update but I really would hate to lose all of my media.

Just did all 3 of my 7200.11 500 gigs. Had 2 in raid 0 and one on pass through on an areca 1210 controller. Unplugged all the harddrives and pluged one in at a time to motherboard to flash. So far everything is cool and the controller picked upt he raid again no problems.

I'm terrified because just today one of my 5 drives in my array isn't starting up. Looks like this update is just in time, hopefully I can flash them to safety. I have SD15 on my drives, I'll let everyone know how it goes...

*edit* :(:(:( O no, another system doesn't see it with the firmware update cd, I tried another disk and it detects it...now what do I do?!?! The drive sounds like it spins up, but nothing can detect it, damnit :(

Updated my 1TB SD15 w/o issue to the new firmware. Everything looks to be working good.

The Seagate site says that the firmware is "In Validation" -- no download link...
22 Jan 09 - 9:00 PM EDT

i don't see what the holdup is with the maxtor updates, aren't they just rebranded seagate drives?

I'm trying to download the ST31000340AS firmware but the ISO file I download only has the README.txt and DriveDetect,exe files in it..is anyone else having this issue???

The iso is just that, a disk image. You have to burn it to a CD and then boot with it... Works fine.

Just noticed that these are .ISO files I was downloading. Thought there were zips and needed to burn the inside .img file. All 4 of my hard drives are affected too! 1 500gb seagate, 1 1TB seagate, 2 1TB Maxtors!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to download the ST31000340AS firmware but the ISO file I download only has the README.txt and DriveDetect,exe files in it..is anyone else having this issue???

The iso is just that, a disk image. You have to burn it to a CD and then boot with it... Works fine.

I burned the ISO and it did not function. I mounted the ISO via daemon tools and the contents are README.txt and DriveDetect.exe and nothing else.

I burned the ISO and it did not function. I mounted the ISO via daemon tools and the contents are README.txt and DriveDetect.exe and nothing else.

I've run it as a boot image, it runs freedos, which you don't see from within windows. It can then detect any applicable drives, and flash from there. You can't update the firmware from within windows. Course, it's no use to me, since it doesn't detect the drive that died on me today :(

Got m 500GB Seagate flashed and working. Now waiting for my 2 1TB Maxtor drives to have flashes available.

I'll have to give this a shot for my 1 TB Seagate hard drive (7200.11). I heard about this bug and supposed fix from this thread, but I'll wait another day or 2 to make sure the firmware update didn't introduce a new bug.

It sounds like in the seagate forums that this won't fix drives that your bios can't see anymore.

Back