Finally finished my new 2.1 setup!! *PICS*

AntiTrust

n00b
Long time lurker, haven't posted in quite a while.

So about two weeks ago, my Klipsch 5.1 Ultras played their last note, as they were blown to bits during a power surge. Toasted the sub, control module, etc...done. I started looking around for some replacements, and listened to all the "other" 5.1 setups I could...Creative, Logitech Z-5500, 5300e, etc....none of them quite did it for me.

I mostly use my speakers for listening to music, as well as some occasional gaming, so they had to sound perfect, be fairly inexpensive, and reliable.

So after much reading and listening and reading some more and listening some more, i finally decided on the following.

Two Behringer MS40 near-field monitors with an M-Audio Studiophile BX10s studio subwoofer. Yes, the sub is overkill...but it sounds sooooo good. At anything above 15% gain, it will bring the house down, but I have it setup juuust right after a couple hours of tweaking.

I almost bought the Swan M10 setup, but I need more bass in my life and I got a smoking deal on all the gear.

The setup sounds absolutely incredible...crystal clear, awesome soundstage, and detail I hadn't heard before...I am very happy. Thanks to everyone for their advice, I spent days reading everything I could before making my decision.

What say you?

Audio02.JPG

Audio01.JPG

Audio03.JPG

Very cool! I bet you've the best sounding 2.1 here on [H].

I love that BX10 sub and almost chose it over the H-100 I eventually bought.

Very cool! I bet you've the best sounding 2.1 here on [H].

I love that BX10 sub and almost chose it over the H-100 I eventually bought.

I was a bit apprehensive about the sub, it's clearly meant for bigger setups...but after a few hours of listening, I'm happy.

It plays SOOOO clean...no distortion, no resonance....wow.

I'm wondering about getting something similar - what do the speakers sound like without the sub?

I'm wondering about getting something similar - what do the speakers sound like without the sub?

They actually sound pretty good. I ran them for a day with no sub, and was impressed. They have decent mid-bass and incredible mids and highs, but are missing the lowest end of the spectrum.

If I were going to run just a 2.0 setup, I would probably buy the 8" version of the Behringer monitor, or the KRK Rokit 6. Both of those monitors have a bit more defined low end.

Dayton makes an 8" HT subwoofer that is perfect for s setup like mine, and can be had for $100. The only reason I bought the M-Audio was the screaming deal I got on it, and it's potential for disturbing fault lines.

They actually sound pretty good. I ran them for a day with no sub, and was impressed. They have decent mid-bass and incredible mids and highs, but are missing the lowest end of the spectrum.

If I were going to run just a 2.0 setup, I would probably buy the 8" version of the Behringer monitor, or the KRK Rokit 6. Both of those monitors have a bit more defined low end.

Dayton makes an 8" HT subwoofer that is perfect for s setup like mine, and can be had for $100. The only reason I bought the M-Audio was the screaming deal I got on it, and it's potential for disturbing fault lines.

Ah excellent, thank you very much :p

And I don't think you really need to justify a sub like that ;)

Ah excellent, thank you very much :p

And I don't think you really need to justify a sub like that ;)
You could pick up an 8" sub to give you a nice bass boost without the thunder of bigger/more pricey subs.

You could pick up an 8" sub to give you a nice bass boost without the thunder of bigger/more pricey subs.

Thanks, getting a sub would be nice but dayton's and the like are very difficult to find in England, and similar subs seem very expensive in comparison - like $100 for a dayton that would suit me or £100 for another sub that would suit me :eek:

Soooo I guess I'll just wait and pick up an old random sub cheap off ebay at some point...

I am very jealous of the price you found your sub for. I got my B&W asw600 for 230, but I'm thinking your sub has a more refined sound.

how much did this run?

The MS40's usually retail for anywhere from $129-$199 for the pair, I paid $100 for them brand new in the box, found them on Craigslist.

The BX10s usually reatils from $350-$500, I paid $150 on Craigslist. Stole it.

The MS40's usually retail for anywhere from $129-$199 for the pair, I paid $100 for them brand new in the box, found them on Craigslist.

:eek::eek: NICE!!

very cool... the best part about having a nice setup like that is having a place where you can actually play em.

very cool... the best part about having a nice setup like that is having a place where you can actually play em.

I wholeheartedly agree....if I was in an apartment, there's no chance I would spend the money on such a setup, it would be a total waste. I might invest in a nice set of headphones, but that would be about it.

I can rock these things at all hours of the night at my house, as long as the girlfriend doesn't bitch too much. She can sleep through anything, though...

I made quite a bit of noise getting crossovers and levels set just right....

*slaps AntiTrust upside his head* The f*ck you mean by "the sub is overkill". No such thing if it sounds good! And the gf bitching about the noise? Please, hand her some ear plugs and a glass of stfu. J/K! kinda sorta

Seriously though, nice setup. My 5.1 Ultra amp snap, crackled then popped its way out of service not too long ago, so I'm in need of a powered sub myself. If I didn't care about surround sound while gaming I'd go with a much higher quality 2.1 setup. Anyway, I'm looking up that M-Audio unit you have and that Dayton sub everyone keeps talking about. How does your M-Audio compare to the Klipsch sub? Anyone here able to offer their opinion on the Dayton vs Klipsch sub?

Did you need extra equipment to hook it up to your computer like a receiver or something?

Looks like a sweet setup. Enjoy.

Did you need extra equipment to hook it up to your computer like a receiver or something?

Wouldn't be needed. The MS40 and BX10s have their own built in amplifiers.

In that case where do I buy these MS40s? Keep running into MS20 pairs when I search :rolleyes:

How are the MS20s? I love their size is their sound okay?

I haven't heard them myself, but you could try checking your local pro audio stores. They may have them and/or something compable from other brands in terms of price and quality on display you could listen to. You'd be looking for "active" or powered studio monitors (the active means it has the built in amplifiers).

Though, if you wanted the ms40s from an online store, here's a few suppliers:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMS40

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MS4...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232124427&sr=1-7

Amazon's been good to me in the past on returns, and I've heard good things about zzounds also. Though, I've never bought from them.

There might be some cheaper suppliers here too. No idea on shipping fees or return policies there, though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the MS40 and they work great. I love them. Right now I have them hooked up to my TV since I have the Swan M200MKII for my computer. The bass on the MS40 is sweet, if a bit muddy. But what do you expect from a 2.0 setup that's only ~$100?

[H]adouken;1033603519 said:
In that case where do I buy these MS40s? Keep running into MS20 pairs when I search :rolleyes:

How are the MS20s? I love their size is their sound okay?

I have the MS40 and they work great. I love them. Right now I have them hooked up to my TV since I have the Swan M200MKII for my computer. The bass on the MS40 is sweet, if a bit muddy. But what do you expect from a 2.0 setup that's only ~$100?

How do you compare the MS40 vs. the M200MKII?

Also, John, would the MS40 be wall-mountable? Or would that mess with the way it would sound?

How do you compare the MS40 vs. the M200MKII?

Also, John, would the MS40 be wall-mountable? Or would that mess with the way it would sound?

The MS40 are a bit rough around the edges, but they are great for rock when the nitty gritty guitars and the snare sizzles come out. Great for gaming and music too. The Swans, on the other hand, are more laid back and have a warm, detailed but veiled sound signature. A tad light on the bass, too. They are both great speakers, but for musical purposes, I chose the M200MKII because I listen to rock, classical, blues, and everything else that appeals to me. They are great for movies and games too, but I think the MS40 trumps them in that department due to the bass and more loud and forward sound signature.

The MS40 are a bit rough around the edges, but they are great for rock when the nitty gritty guitars and the snare sizzles come out. Great for gaming and music too. The Swans, on the other hand, are more laid back and have a warm, detailed but veiled sound signature. A tad light on the bass, too. They are both great speakers, but for musical purposes, I chose the M200MKII because I listen to rock, classical, blues, and everything else that appeals to me. They are great for movies and games too, but I think the MS40 trumps them in that department due to the bass and more loud and forward sound signature.

Wow, sounds like a difficult choice then. Nice explanation. What if I threw in the D1080MKII in the mix? I've heard the 1080 isn't good for dance/techno music...and I would be using it for all kinds of music as well as movies and games. Which would you guys say is a good all-around set if I had that in mind?

Wow, sounds like a difficult choice then. Nice explanation. What if I threw in the D1080MKII in the mix? I've heard the 1080 isn't good for dance/techno music...and I would be using it for all kinds of music as well as movies and games. Which would you guys say is a good all-around set if I had that in mind?

If you're going to get the D1080MKII, plan on getting a subwoofer. They kind of have a sort of AD700 sound signature in that it is severly bass lacking but has sweet mids and highs. But I have no doubt these will sound great with a sub... much better than the Swan M200MKII or the MS40 by themselves.

How did you wire your speakers from the sound card for the 2.1 setup?
I have a 2.0 setup (other speakers) that i want to add a sub to, i saw these and want to get them. I didn't see a line out or sub out on the speakers.

I meant in terms of wiring. Opened up my MS20 (2.0 setup) box and found there's no RCA or SPDIF cables in there and had to order one.

Quick question, if I use an RCA Y-cable (white, red, black) to put the white and red into the MS20s, where does the black go? Into the green sound port of the motherboard or the black port?

Check ur motherboard's sound output diagram and look for the Front L/R output. Normally its the green one. Standard audio connectors almost never match PC audio connectors.

You could always plug it into the headphone in if you were really lazy. Lol.

What about KRK Rokit 8s? I'm on a XFi XtremeGamer/Z5500 combo looking to upgrade my sound...

$150... that's quite a deal. I've been eying the BX10s on amazon and it's currently selling for $362.74. Envy.

Update 01: I like how bx10s is now selling for $392.65 through amazon...

Update 02: I saw someone snag one of these off eBay for just above $80. It was local pickup only... lucky (cali)

Last edited:
Good setup, glad you see why 2.1 with good bookshelves + dedicated sub outright demolishes "computer speaker packages."

I may have to get me some of these. But, I'm confused on how you connected your sub.

Back