HELP PLEASE! Is my quad core system he DEAD???

guy_uoft

n00b
Please bear with me guys, i really need help...thanks in advance.

I have a Q6600 on a P5B Deluxe Wifi AP with 4 gigs of OCZ platinum rev 2. and 4870x2
I had the Q6600 running at 3.2ghz with 355x9. The vcore was 1.4125 volts, the cpu ran 50c idle and around 71c on full load under prime95

I was playing GTA IV and all of a sudden my computer did a hard lock, the screen froze and the last bit of sound was looping over and over again. I turned the computer off, turned it back on and no post.

I thought it was just too high of a oc so I restarted over and over again hoping the bios would reset to default values as per usual. Finally it posted, but it never got to the bios post screen, it just says "Boot Block Compatible Version Ver.037" and "Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS recovery"

I have a USB key with a bios rom that I flashed about 2 months ago, so the program found the rom on usb key and now it's just saying "Reading file 'P5BD.ROM'" and it's been stuck on that line for about 30 minutes now.

Has anyone seen this before? what could be the problem? is my mobo or cpu fried? could it be that my cmos battery ran out? (don't know how that would cause a hard lock in game though...)

Please please any ideas or pointers would be very greatly appreciated

have you tried removing the cmos battery for 30 seconds with the system unplugged.. and hope you didnt corrupt the default bios on the chip..

gigabyte dual-bios ftw

I'd say if you can't get it flashed it's screwed.

update: I took out the battery, cleared the cmos, tested the battery with a volt meter and it still has 3v, so it's not dead. Nothing helped

I want to know if it's the CPU or the mobo before I try and RMA the board....

probably going to be the motherboard.. you probably corrupted the bios chip.. you could probably try contacting the manufacture and see if they have a way to fix it without rma'ing it or if you have to rma it.. just tell them exactly what happened.. just dont tell them you had anything overclocked.. but its not the cpu.. otherwise you wouldnt even get to the bios screen.. only other thing you could try is doing the jumpers to reset the bios if pulling the cmos battery didnt work.. the directions would be in the manual on how to use the jumpers to clear the bios..

Back