Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 / HDAV1.3 Deluxe (NEW!) vs Asus Xonar D2X?

RamGuy

n00b
Hi,

I'm about to order my new rig at work and then I was going to order myself a Asus Xonar D2X as it was supposed to be the best gaming / desktop sound card currently available!

But now I see that Asus has released some new Xonar audio cards? The HDAV1.3 and HDAV1.3 Deluxe? But these seems to be aiming for HTPC usages? Supporting HDMI1.3 in and out along with HD-codecs etc.. for use with BluRay?

So are they any better for gaming / desktop usage than the D2X?
The HDAV1.3 is supposedly the first ever "none Creative" card fully supporting EAX5.0 through the new Asus DS3D GX 2.0? The D2X only got EAX2.0 through DS3D GX 1.0?
Would that make it better for gaming?

Both cards seems to be using the same ASUS AV200 High-Definition Sound Processor?
But as the D2X price tag seems to be the same, and the HDAV1.3 (at least here in Norway) is almost identical with the D2X price tag, that makes me wonder?

Is there something about the D2X that is superior to the HDAV1.3 when it comes to gaming / desktop usage? Or is simply the HDAV1.3 line the new king?

Because EAX 3.0 and above is Creative's proprietary tech, Asus has had to go about trying to make their own stuff that does the same thing as EAX. The new HDAV-series cards have the latest revision of what Asus has been working on, so it is better for gaming.

Considering the are almost the same price in Norway I would get the new card.

As the hardware of the DX2 and the two new HDAV1.3 is more or less identical, besides the added HDMI and HD-codec features, is it possible to get this DS3D GX 2.0 for the D2X through a new driver or something?

After reading a review of the HDAV1.3 over at Elite Bastards it seems like the D2X is superior in every possible way when it comes to analogue audio, and as my Creative Gigaworks S750 is analogue only there is simply nothing with the HDAV1.3 that is better than than with the D2X besides the DS3D GX 2.0?

So is it worth it? Is it not possible to get the DS3D GX 2.0 on the D2X?

I just got the Xonar D2X and from what I can tell it has the DS3D GX2.0 on it OR if it doesn't I can't tell yet. Besides, the Xonar D2X is more of a traditional gamers' card. The HDAC1.3 series is aimed at high end HTPC's and other users who really want the HDMI out. I would go with the more analog geared D2X. If you get it from newegg (if that is an option), there is a $30 rebate. Cheers!

Hmm.. Will the HDAV1.3 Deluxe provide my Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 speaker system with Dolby Digital TrueHD / DTS(HD) Master Audio capabilities?

As the hardware of the DX2 and the two new HDAV1.3 is more or less identical, besides the added HDMI and HD-codec features, is it possible to get this DS3D GX 2.0 for the D2X through a new driver or something?

After reading a review of the HDAV1.3 over at Elite Bastards it seems like the D2X is superior in every possible way when it comes to analogue audio, and as my Creative Gigaworks S750 is analogue only there is simply nothing with the HDAV1.3 that is better than than with the D2X besides the DS3D GX 2.0?

So is it worth it? Is it not possible to get the DS3D GX 2.0 on the D2X?

There is certain incorrect informaiton floating on the net that suggests the D2/D2X has better specifications then the HDAV 1.3. This is incorrect, The HDAV 1.3 is the current champion of analog quality in the Xonar family. The D2/D2X and HDAV 1.3 share the same DAC but the Opamps are different models. The HDAV 1.3 also has opamps sockets allowing you to modify the cards sound signature be replacing them with better models or units you personally prefer.
For gaming concerns both cards share the same option for gaming, namely the GX 2.0 drivers. There is a new version released or to be relased the GX 2.5 drivers but I am not sure on the compatibility of the newer release.
On a side note, The HDAV 1.3 will remain analog champ until the Xonar Essence STX is released. Unfortunaltey there is not many reviews of the HDAV 1.3 on the net as the card is only released in certain locations.
Hmm.. Will the HDAV1.3 Deluxe provide my Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 speaker system with Dolby Digital TrueHD / DTS(HD) Master Audio capabilities?
Yes with the latest Beta driver set, they provide non-downsampled audio for Dolby Digital TrueHD / DTS(HD) Master Audio through analog during BD playback. Prior to the last Beta release, all analog was down-sampled with BD playback.

I would hold on before buying the Hdav 1.3. There is supposed to be a new hardware version of it coming out in January that solves all the little problems that the card is having now.

They are also supposed to be going to offer a return service for anybody with the original card, just send the old one back and they will send you a new one.

I have the Hdav 1.3 and even with some of the issues I am having I still think it's the best sound card I have ever had, for gaming and for movies. Can highly recommend it.

Back