Proper Way to update ATI drivers

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
What is the proper way to update the ATI drivers? This is my first time back to ATI in a long time and wasn't sure the best method. Do I only uninstall the driver portion through the uninstall manager and then install the new driver? or do I just uninstall the entire Catalyst suite then clean the old stuff out, then install the new Catalyst suite.

Thanks

This has been discussed a lot lately just search the threads. Some say that you should uninstall drivers, reboot, DCP, reboot,install new drivers, reboot.

Some say do the same, but you don't have to use Driver Cleaner Pro.

Some just install over the top ( i don't)

I always used DCP in the process but now that I use ati cards and ati tells us to just uninstall with their software, reboot, and just install the new drivers thats what I do. I guess if I had problems doing it that way I would then uninstall using DCP after using the ati software.

Just my opinion. Search the forum for other answers

My Process:

Uninstall from manager
Reboot
Install
Reboot
Set Fan speed in overdrive
Get on with life

You'll want to read the Tweakguides entries for removal of old drivers. Removal of old ATi drivers (and proper installation of new ones) can be found here, while removal of nVidia drivers (which is what I assume you need to do) can be found here. He does explain how to do it manually as well as point you towards programs that will do it automatically.

It's very important to make sure old drivers are completely removed when switching between nVidia and ATi. Windows XP is not good about removing the old drivers; I don't know if they improved that in Vista.

My Process:

Uninstall from manager
Reboot
Install
Reboot
Set Fan speed in overdrive
Get on with life

Must be nice not to be obsessive-compulsive. :D I uninstall the driver and CCC, reboot to safe mode, use DriverSweeper AND DriverCleaner Pro, reboot and install the new drivers and CCC.

Then I defrag. :eek: Oh well, at least I know they are a clean and tidy as they can be.

Well, for the 8.11s, I just installed them over my previous set. I used to uninstall, reboot, then use driver cleaner but someone told me there's no need to do this. The Catalyst install manager is supposed to take care of cleaning old files while installing.

No problem.. yet :p

I always do a complete uninstall. Not the express. A complete FULL uninstall of the entire ATI software suite. Reboot. Then install and reboot.

I've had the same install of Windows XP Sp2 for years...people that format c: or uninstall everything are tools.

I've had the same install of Windows XP Sp2 for years...people that format c: or uninstall everything are tools.

Well I'll gladly be a tool who has zero issues with driver installs since I moved back to ATI nearly 3 years ago with 3 different Crossfire setups. X1950 Pros, HD3870s, HD4870s. Haven't yet had a true driver install issue.

I don't knock anybody for how they do their driver installs. But I sure won't change my ways when it has been working for me for so long.

Well I'll gladly be a tool who has zero issues with driver installs since I moved back to ATI nearly 3 years ago with 3 different Crossfire setups. X1950 Pros, HD3870s, HD4870s. Haven't yet had a true driver install issue.

I don't knock anybody for how they do their driver installs. But I sure won't change my ways when it has been working for me for so long.

Ditto from another "tool".

Well, for the 8.11s, I just installed them over my previous set. I used to uninstall, reboot, then use driver cleaner but someone told me there's no need to do this. The Catalyst install manager is supposed to take care of cleaning old files while installing.

I just run the installer. I don't uninstall anything. I've never had a problem.

Same here, no purpose to reboot 3x...

I do the same.

Same here. +3

+4

Some of you are really paranoid.

This isn't the mid 90's anymore. Upgrades work as they should. If they didn't once or twice in your case, it's likely some other cause like bad OC or hardware.

Files are simply being overwritten, there's no magic involved

agreed. uninstalling ati drivers rapes my box. only success ive had upgrading drivers so far with 4800 series is installing over top of old ones.

TBH, I have simply upgraded drivers on all my machines and never had a driver problem (including SLI 6800GS and 7800GT's). I've had disagreeable hardware (DFI mobos :( ), but drivers have never been a problem (at least VGA.

1. Launch driver, click uninstall.
2. Reboot into Safe mode
3. Launch Driver cleaner pro, remove all ATI components
4. Reboot
5. Install driver
6. Reboot
7. Configure ATI CCC to you specifications

Some of you are really paranoid.

This isn't the mid 90's anymore. Upgrades work as they should. If they didn't once or twice in your case, it's likely some other cause like bad OC or hardware.

Files are simply being overwritten, there's no magic involved

You're absolutely right. I won't disagree with you. But I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Since my last (and first) attempt at upgrading ATI drivers, I can't run the ATI' exe's anymore. I just get "ati install manager has stopped working". Had to use the CMD to force the new ones to install after searching 4 hours. I still can't run the exe's even now - same error message.

I read it's somethign to do with "broken .NET framework" in Vista, and that I have to repair vista to fix the framework.

Back