Custom Slim Tower build

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Instead of posting about every component seperately in their own subforums, I figure I'll post my whole build idea here and see if anyone has any ideas ;)

I'm looking to build a slim tower workstation/some-time gaming PC, something like the new Dell Studio slim desktops. My conundrum comes because I want to put a full-height (Radeon 4750) video card into it, but most of the cases I've seen have half-height expansion slots. Can anyone recomend me a case/mobo solution for such a system?

The SFF cases from Dell, etc. are basically for office use, the few low profile video cards that are available are not really powerful enough for serious gaming. The SFF PCs often do include a x16 PCIE slot, but they're for people wanting multi-monitor setups.

If you want something fairly small that will hold a full-length video card then you could look at something like the Silverstone SG01/02.

I sell a slim designed case called the Vinster, they are made to travel with a scratch resistant power coated finish, aluminum construction weighing about 2lbs. I can stand on my pc and nothing budges. Check them out @ www.Killerrigs.com i havent updated my site lately due to me getting a new job and also being a full time student. These are def custom only about 15 cases were ever made and they always get an "interesting" reaction when ever i travel or go to lan's. The specs in my sig are what i am currently running in mine.
We can def work something out if your interested :)
207.jpg

about2.jpg

antec 900 vs Vinster M@X

IMG_0032.jpg

Do you have pics of these cases' insides? Or the back? I'm just curious what the rest looks like.

Kinda slick though. Must have taken some effort to figure it all out.

Those are pretty sick! I like the backpack idea on that last pic. But I'm building my own (I love the challenge). :p

Haha, those rigs are a joke.

I like the case design, but $872 for the base model with a shitty 8500GT and an E7200? I think not.

Like he said, he hasn't updated the site in a long time, iirc when I first joined he hadn't updated it in at least 2 months, making it around 5 months since he updated it. Prices change. I'm sure if you asked him he'd tell you what they're really worth.

Raz1r:
As i posted above "i havent updated my site lately due to me getting a new job and also being a full time student." Once things are settled or if i have someone that is interested I will update it, as of now my life is very hectic.

djBon2112 Its actually a lan strap by GearGrip, it was made for shuttles but it fits the vinster perfectly. This case is definitely for people who like a challenge it is very rewarding in the end when you actually get to travel, or go to lan's with it. always get a lot of attention and questions, people just love seeing it and love it even more when i tell them my specs. Pictures do this case no justice. if you are interested the case it self is 189.99. But i wish the best of luck to you.

Raz1r:
As i posted above "i havent updated my site lately due to me getting a new job and also being a full time student." Once things are settled or if i have someone that is interested I will update it, as of now my life is very hectic.

djBon2112 Its actually a lan strap by GearGrip, it was made for shuttles but it fits the vinster perfectly. This case is definitely for people who like a challenge it is very rewarding in the end when you actually get to travel, or go to lan's with it. always get a lot of attention and questions, people just love seeing it and love it even more when i tell them my specs. Pictures do this case no justice. if you are interested the case it self is 189.99. But i wish the best of luck to you.

Drakan290 The complete build are very reasonably priced, not much more as if you were to go somewhere else like ibuypower and what not.

OMFG! That case is the most awesome little case I have ever seen. I have a couple quests for you. Does it use a mATX psu? What are the hdd's mounted on?

O wow sry for the double post..

nickkelbackk The power supply is a 1u server power supply. Almost all of them are extremely loud but we go with seasonic which are EXTREMELY reliable and quiet. The hard drive is mounted to the side of the case and a bracket.

If you like a tower-like case in a SFF setting you could look at the SG03. They'll fit any size video card and most ATX size psu. Someone here put a 1000w unit into one. They arent as short as the cube cases but they are shorter than the smallest mid tower ATX cases. It will fit inside a standard gym/school locker. Hard to find a cube that'll do that. I use a Geargrip harness to tote mine around.

Edit: Just a FYI size comparison to give you an idea.

Darkz's KillerRig case is:
Height - 11.5"
Length (depth) - 11.5"
Width - 5.5"

SG03 Case is:
Height - 14.4"
Length (depth) - 12.3"
Width - 7.9"

Volume

Vinster/Killerrigs: 727.375"
Silverstone Sg03: 1399.248"

The sg03 is almost double in volume. The silverstone is almost 3 times heavier.

Weight

Vinster/Killerrigs: 2lbs
Silverstone Sg03: 7.7lbs

Also the materials used in the Vinster are lighter and more durable(Powder Coated Aluminum In and Out). I have had my Vinster for about 5 years now and it still looks brand new and i have traveled to lans all over the country. I have stood on my case and even let somebody Key it to see if i was lying about the powder coating. There is no way the sg03 or any sff case really that can take that kind of abuse and look flawless.;)

That thing is definitley getting a bookmark from me, maybe down the road when I get some money I'll pickup the case. I really like it, would be cool if there was a model with a window though.

Back