Fallout 3 frame skipping/stuttering fix!

LittleMeEgo

Limp Gawd
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=893209

This makes the game MUCH smoother guys. I suggest you all try it because this frame skipping is somewhat subtle. Once you see how much smoother the game is with this tweak you will understand!

Make sure you have vsync on if you do this. Please report back your results.

Edit your FALLOUT.ini (Dont forget to make a backup)

VISTA: "C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.ini"
and change iFPSClamp=0 to iFPSClamp=60

XP: "C:\Documents and settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.ini"
and change iFPSClamp=0 to iFPSClamp=60

Use 60, or even better, set it to what your refresh rate is at the resolution you use in-game.

The micro wierd stutter is non existant now, but the game feels slower and the lip synching is off.

I fixed the problem of stutter by forcing vsync off. Yes, the game options list vsync, and it looks like you can turn it off, but in reality you cannot.

I managed to do this by going into CCC display settings and forcing vsync to be off for all games. Now the game runs wth a consistent frame rate. Further, because the low frame rates only happen outdoors, tearing is minimal.

Now, maybe your idea and my idea of stutter are different. But if you're not satisfied with this fix above, try undoing it and just forcing vsync off.

Sweet, the stuttering is gone. Turning off vsync via the CCC won't work for me, or at least it doesn't in the version I have (8.10), but this is a nice little fix. Only bad thing is you do see the slow-mo effect happen quite a bit when the framerates start dropping. I guess I could remedy that by turning down the visual settings a little, but it's not bothering me too bad at the moment. I wish I had known about this fix before I played through the whole game, that damn stuttering is annoying as hell. You'd think Bethesda would try to find some way to address the problem, as that's a pretty big negative on two otherwise great games.

I don't understand why bethesda hasn't realized how serious this problem is...takes away so much from the game

If you're using a 3xxx or 4xxx series ATI card, make sure that PowerPlay isn't kicking in.

My setup would drop the clocks down to 2d speed seemingly at random, which of course had a serious hit on framerate, especially outdoors. Created and edited a Catalyst profile that locked the speed at 3d, and the performance problems went away.

If you experience "slow motion" with that tweak, there is a way to set the clamp to 30fps,

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=902594

That should keep you from dipping below the cflamp (If your fps go below what it's set at, IE the ifpsclamp 60 = 60 fps, then you'll get slow motion).

This does indeed fix the slowdown problem if it's bothering anyone else. It does get very annoying, so I'm using this now. Just be sure to set the iFrameclamp value to whatever you set the framerate to, or it will stutter like a son of a bitch. Some guy in that thread said it was unnecessary to set the frame clamp when using the frame limit, but that makes the stuttering even worse, at least it did for me.

If you're using a 3xxx or 4xxx series ATI card, make sure that PowerPlay isn't kicking in.

My setup would drop the clocks down to 2d speed seemingly at random, which of course had a serious hit on framerate, especially outdoors. Created and edited a Catalyst profile that locked the speed at 3d, and the performance problems went away.

can you elaborate a little more on how you do this? I got an ATI 4870

can you elaborate a little more on how you do this? I got an ATI 4870

x2

I've got an 4850 that every one in a while going outdoors the FPS will drop really bad even though I was in that same spot earlier in the game with no problems.

No bueno, this fixes the micro-stutters but just trades it for strange slow-mo lapses. Doesn't make any sense. I can be chugging along at 60fps, but when I run into action, as my framerate goes down, the game speed scales with it.. The slow-mo is overwhelmingly annoying at 30-40fps.

No bueno, this fixes the micro-stutters but just trades it for strange slow-mo lapses. Doesn't make any sense. I can be chugging along at 60fps, but when I run into action, as my framerate goes down, the game speed scales with it.. The slow-mo is overwhelmingly annoying at 30-40fps.

Spartan, you need to set the FPS cap and "iFPSClamp= " setting to your minimum frame rate or you will get slo-mo.

For me, the minimum framerate I observed while running fraps was 33fps, so I set the FPS limiter cap to 30 and "iFPSClamp=30" in the fallout.ini file.

If you set the cap to 60, when ever your frame rate goes below 60fps, your game will go slo-mo.

If your framerate constantly goes below 30fps then I can only suggest lowering the res a bit so you can set the FPS cap to 30. You probably wouldnt want to set it to any less than 30.

Mr_zen, ah.... sounds like a goofed. Will try setting it to clamp at 30 then. :D

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=893209

This makes the game MUCH smoother guys. I suggest you all try it because this frame skipping is somewhat subtle. Once you see how much smoother the game is with this tweak you will understand!

Make sure you have vsync on if you do this. Please report back your results.

Use 60, or even better, set it to what your refresh rate is at the resolution you use in-game.

Yes, mate. This works superbly for me. I have posted in the thread on the Bethsoft forum too. I set my FPS to 50 and clamp in ini, amazing difference, the game is smmoooooth.You can apply the FPSLimiter to many games with the right cmmand.

I tried the FPS limiter and i cant get it to work, placed 30 on the clamp and limited the game to use 30fps and ran the batch file.. im still getting 60fps ( already enabled V-Sync )

Vista x64 here if it matters.

I just enabled Triple Buffering and it eliminated my micro stuttering. Now if I can find a way to eliminate the jerkiness when it's loading terrain.

I don't understand why bethesda hasn't realized how serious this problem is...takes away so much from the game

And if I could find a way to eliminate all the random CTD's then I'd really be on to something if we want to talk about one of at least several even more serious problems than the subject of this thread.

Overclocking: Fallout 3, as with most games, can be extremely sensitive to overclocking. If you've overclocked any components on your system and are having problems such as crashes, reboots and graphical anomalies, the first thing to do is set everything back to default speeds and try running the game. If you don't experience the same problems at default speed, or they're reduced in severity, then your overclock is the primary culprit. Either permanently reduce your overclock and/or increase cooling to regain stability.
I think this is the majority of the issues. But Bethesda really pulled an epic fail with the codec thing. They KNOW millions of people use 3rd party codecs, but they do it anyways. I just ran a little script that removes all the codecs, no more ctd on exit.

Overclocking: Fallout 3, as with most games, can be extremely sensitive to overclocking. If you've overclocked any components on your system and are having problems such as crashes, reboots and graphical anomalies, the first thing to do is set everything back to default speeds and try running the game. If you don't experience the same problems at default speed, or they're reduced in severity, then your overclock is the primary culprit. Either permanently reduce your overclock and/or increase cooling to regain stability.

I suspect there's some truth to this and it might even be my problem although the caveat here for me and many others is: I don't have any problems with any of my other games.

My qx9650 is air cooled and OC'd to 3.61 GHz no problem. My RAM is PC8500 and I have it at max spec of 5-5-5 15 timings at 1066MHz. That's the extent of any overclocking on my rig. I suppose I can't rule anything out for all the random CTDs I get with this game but the whole thing is kind of ridiculous.

I don't think I'm doing anything real "over the top" on my rig at least as best I can tell.

The thing about it is: There's a whole lot of other people with a myriad of different configurations in the exact same boat I'm in having all these CTD issues and such.

The fault lies with the game.

Q-BZ is right, the CTDs are caused by the game. Turn on VYSNC and 90%^ of them go away, but then you have to deal with laggy mouse movement. It has something to do with small spaces or entering/exiting them.

I just enabled Triple Buffering and it eliminated my micro stuttering. Now if I can find a way to eliminate the jerkiness when it's loading terrain.
you said that with regards to Dead Space too and I just dont get why you keep saying this. triple buffering from the driver control panel doesnt do anything in DX games. that function is for openGL games only. you have to use a 3rd party app such as rivatuner to force triple buffering for DX games. :confused:

you said that with regards to Dead Space too and I just dont get why you keep saying this. triple buffering from the driver control panel doesnt do anything in DX games. that function is for openGL games only. you have to use a 3rd party app such as rivatuner to force triple buffering for DX games. :confused:
It's funny you keep coming back to this. If you notice, in the control panel it SAYS when something is not effected by a setting. For example, "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames". It says "Only works in DX" Then, Extension Limit says "For open GL" ... why would they be labeling all these as one api or another, but not for Triple Buffering? Did they just forget or feel lazy that day? I think not. :rolleyes:

All in all:
Extension Limit
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames
Error Reporting

Those settings say which API they effect or don't effect, but it says nothing about Triple Buffering only working in OpenGL.

http://www.driverheaven.net/windows...tx-triple-buffering-clarification-needed.html

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=169586

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=32814

http://www.gamehourz.com/D3D-triple-buffering-Half-Life-D3D-games-ftopict209719.html

http://forums.ngemu.com/software-discussion/66736-force-triple-buffering-d3d-games.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Buffering

None of that says it's OpenGL only anymore and people talk about using it in DX games.

I'm not going to go on. At one time Triple Buffering was only OpenGL because of driver issues. It's not an issue anymore. Just admit to yourself you were wrong and move on. I don't understand why you are so persistant with this where all evidence from the past 6 years says otherwise. 2002 and previous information talks about Triple Buffering only with OpenGL but it was cleared up with the WHQL drivers where it can be used now in D3D if games are designed to allow it.

But maybe we're 2 different people, as long as your right in your mind, it doesn't matter if your wrong in real life. I'd rather be told I'm wrong about something (shown facts of course) then know the truth from that point on. I don't want a reputation for spreading lies or misinformation. I've been wrong before and corrected and hope to be corrected on all future errors. I don't want to be right, I want to know what's right. You seem to be more concerned about being right, than knowing what's right.

It's funny you keep coming back to this. If you notice, in the control panel it SAYS when something is not effected by a setting. For example, "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames". It says "Only works in DX" Then, Extension Limit says "For open GL" ... why would they be labeling all these as one api or another, but not for Triple Buffering? Did they just forget or feel lazy that day? I think not. :rolleyes:

All in all:
Extension Limit
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames
Error Reporting

Those settings say which API they effect or don't effect, but it says nothing about Triple Buffering only working in OpenGL.

http://www.driverheaven.net/windows...tx-triple-buffering-clarification-needed.html

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=169586

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=32814

http://www.gamehourz.com/D3D-triple-buffering-Half-Life-D3D-games-ftopict209719.html

http://forums.ngemu.com/software-discussion/66736-force-triple-buffering-d3d-games.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Buffering

None of that says it's OpenGL only anymore and people talk about using it in DX games.

I'm not going to go on. At one time Triple Buffering was only OpenGL because of driver issues. It's not an issue anymore. Just admit to yourself you were wrong and move on. I don't understand why you are so persistant with this where all evidence from the past 6 years says otherwise. 2002 and previous information talks about Triple Buffering only with OpenGL but it was cleared up with the WHQL drivers where it can be used now in D3D if games are designed to allow it.

But maybe we're 2 different people, as long as your right in your mind, it doesn't matter if your wrong in real life. I'd rather be told I'm wrong about something (shown facts of course) then know the truth from that point on. I don't want a reputation for spreading lies or misinformation. I've been wrong before and corrected and hope to be corrected on all future errors. I don't want to be right, I want to know what's right. You seem to be more concerned about being right, than knowing what's right.
LEARN TO READ YOUR OWN LINKS... triple buffering still only works in opengl from the cards control panel unless you use a 3rd party app like rivatuner just like I said. well if you actually LOOK at those links they talk about using rivatuner or dx tweaker which is EXACTLY what I said can force triple buffering. good job on posting those links to make a complete fool of yourself though especially since you were trying to discredit and insult me. :rolleyes:

i recently bought the game (01/12) and everything was fine for the first couple hours.
then it started to stutter to the point where it became unplayable.
so bad it was like playing the game thru powerpoint.
it wasn't an occasional momentary pause, it was as though the game was on a 5 second delay and runnning at 2 fps.
things would run fine for about 15-30 min of play, and then *WHAMMO* the game would become unplayable.

so i proceede to check the usually suspects of troubleshooting, ocp, google, official forums, all that good junk.

there were approximately 9023456364572389y289574236y34875923570v92374v58v3 y34
different responses to this issue.
after a stiff drink, i went with the simpleist, and (after making the requiste backup copy), i just added the "iFPSClamp=60" adjustment to the fallout.ini file.

i havent had a single reoccurance in over 20 hours of gameplay. there is a rare occurance where the game will run slow for a few seconds when loading excessive amounts of new terrain, but the horrible, unplayable, super stutter was gone.

sometimes the simple solution is the best fix.

I've played this game for 60 hours on Ultra settings and it seems to play for awhile then after an hour or so start to get really laggy even though the FPS is high. If I exit and come back in the same location the FPS was high again. But the stuttering comes back. I finally decided to turn down the setting to High and it's perfect now, plays fine for hours without any issues at all.

For those who have issues with the increasing lag, turn down your graphics 1 notch and try again. I couldn't tell the difference in the graphics so it's completely worth it and now it's great!!!!

I tried everything.Everything thats mentioned in this thread and various other methods from other forums.Patching fallout, newest Nvidia drivers, Fps limter, editing the ini file , The tweakguide, overclocking CPU and GPU beyond what i thought was enough, and even trying to ultimately optimize my PC .And though all this did help my framerate I still had the stutter.Anyway to the point.
If you tried all this.Try disabling your sound card in device manager.you can also try some of the audio edits in the ini file.
Test the game, exit, then re enable it. and repeat. I noticed a significant diffrence.
My frame was still the same but i'd say about 85% of the stutering was gone, if not more.
Im using a Asus P5n-d mb and the realtek onboard audio.i recall seeing something about realtek audio in another thread.I tried the new drivers for It, did not help the stutter at all while enabled.Im gunna get a nicer pci sound card.I dont know if this is the direct problem or just related to it, but when I test the a new card ill update this thread.

The game still crashes to desktop randomly all over the place for me or freezes in game randomly. There's no discernable cause for it and everthing else runs perfectly on my machine. No question about it: This game is hopelessly broken. I even made the mistake of springing for the Operation Anchorage expansion because I had this fantasy that maybe there would be some "fixed code" in there but OA comes with its own set of problems in addition to what I already have.

I'll never buy a Bethesda game on day one ever again.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=942035&hl=

There's my thread and you can hit my screen name and see my post history there for even more of it. There are LOTS of people in my shoes and I think the only answer at this point is for me to uninstall the game, free up my hard drive, move on to other games completely and maybe check back in about 6 months or so.

It's just completely hopeless.

Back