Xigmatek NRP-MC851 850w Power Supply @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Xigmatek NRP-MC851 850w Power Supply - No Rules Power! That makes for a good product tag line, but we all know damn well that power without rules makes for a terrible computer power supply. Does Xigmatek's NRP 850 watt PSU play inside the rules when it comes to serving up 850 watt?

If there was ever a lesson in not being complacent and assuming a particular result before testing a unit when seeing the same basic power supply design redressed by yet another brand, this was it. The Xigmatek NRP-MC851 came into testing as a promising candidate for your enthusiast dollars as it shared a CWT PSH pedigree with such units as the Corsair TX750, Thermaltake Purepower RX 600w, Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 650w, and so on. All of these previous related units have been, if not award winning, at least good units in our testing. However, whereas the last Xigmatek unit we reviewed, the NRP-HC1001, stumbled slightly in relation to other CWT PUC based units in its review; today’s NRP-MC851 fell flat on its face, twice.

HardOCP_FAIL_250-Forum.jpg

Damn, actually had some hopes for this PSU. A modular 850W PSU for $150 isn't too bad of a deal. Too bad the PSU was bad though.

Great review though! The Fail logo made me LOL.:)

Good review.

Also, I think that marks the first use of the FAIL logo. I like it :cool:

I think we've seen the logo before. It's always nice to see someone clearly say "This Blows."

Wow! :eek:

I doubt I have ever seen 3.3v ripple testing turn out as bad as what you all experienced. This PSU will never make it into any of my, or my clients, builds.

Thanks for the review guys. :)

A disappointing result. I wonder though if it may have simply been the case that you guys got two defective PSUs in a row. Considering the performance of other similar units, it's really surprising to see such bad results for this unit, which makes me think that it could be an anomaly. Either way, I definitely wouldn't consider buying this PSU unless I'm provided with some concrete evidence that this was in fact a fluke. Great review as always.

A disappointing result. I wonder though if it may have simply been the case that you guys got two defective PSUs in a row. Considering the performance of other similar units, it's really surprising to see such bad results for this unit, which makes me think that it could be an anomaly. Either way, I definitely wouldn't consider buying this PSU unless I'm provided with some concrete evidence that this was in fact a fluke. Great review as always.

Well like I said in the article we got two different units seperated by considerable distance per the serial numbers. So even if we are simply really really really unlucky that is some seemingly poor QC which would make me question getting the product as well.

Well like I said in the article we got two different units seperated by considerable distance per the serial numbers. So even if we are simply really really really unlucky that is some seemingly poor QC which would make me question getting the product as well.

Good point about the QC. Still, stranger things have happened than getting two bunk PSUs in a row. I do realise that it probably wouldn't have been practical for you to request yet another unit though.

Good point about the QC. Still, stranger things have happened than getting two bunk PSUs in a row. I do realise that it probably wouldn't have been practical for you to request yet another unit though.
Maybe after reading this article, ximatek will go back and test their own units and send another if it turns out to be a fluke.
Too bad it went this way though...

I'm hoping [H] will do a review of Thermaltake's new Black Widow retail series. I was thinking of getting one the other day, but I haven't seen any reviews.

that logo still makes me laugh like crazy.

it's gotta be the most distinctive fail graphic on the web.

hmmm a retest of a newer PSU from the other brands using this design would be very interesting to see if the quality has fallen off at the oem.

This review's results seem to mirror the FSP Everest situation, somewhat, in reverse. As repeated in the review this a platform that has consistently performed well in reviews. Yet the Xigmatek units have not done well with the latest unit failing to pass review standards.

The quote about QC at first made me think that Xigmatek's QC was at fault but QC is usually associated with the manufacturer. Paul could you please specify who's QC you meant in your statement???

This also started me thinking that these manufacturers may have more that one plant, which could easily explain the differing production quality. Or as Wolf mentioned in the FSP thread that the reason for poor performance could be the limit of the platform design. Can this be investigated or is this way beyond your resouces???

To clarify, it would be nice to know if we can track the poor performing units to a specific manufacturering plant or sellers of the power supply.

This review's results seem to mirror the FSP Everest situation, somewhat, in reverse. As repeated in the review this a platform that has consistently performed well in reviews. Yet the Xigmatek units have not done well with the latest unit failing to pass review standards.

The quote about QC at first made me think that Xigmatek's QC was at fault but QC is usually associated with the manufacturer. Paul could you please specify who's QC you meant in your statement???

It could be either, I have no working knowledge of how involved Xigmatek is with the production at the OEM level but certain brands do run their own QC in addition to that at the OEM level.

This also started me thinking that these manufacturers may have more that one plant, which could easily explain the differing production quality.

Channel Well has a number of plants making various products that ultimately go into their units.

Or as Wolf mentioned in the FSP thread that the reason for poor performance could be the limit of the platform design. Can this be investigated or is this way beyond your resouces???
To clarify, it would be nice to know if we can track the poor performing units to a specific manufacturering plant or sellers of the power supply.

It's all about time and money. Which to do what you ask would require a lot of both for us.

Back