The Saga of The [H]orde

relic

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2007
That day began like every other, chilling tendrils of morning's cold grey mists enveloping as I awoke. The dank air washed a pallor over the bleak landscape, and as well, it seemed, to the haggard faces of the people. Yet with the mist's icy touch also came my destiny, no more inescapable nor less relentless.

At first it was little more then a barely decernable speck in the distance, a dark smudge on the horizon so insignificant as to perhaps be no more than a trick of the grey morning light. The people went on about their business, as always, fearful and alone.

By noon the smudge had become a line, still reaching back to the horizon. The people looked up occasionally, exchanged quizzical glances and went on about their chores. After so much suffering, curiosity was beyond them, surely this new thing would just bring more sadness.

Reluctantly the enveloping haze relented and the character of what approached was no longer obscured, the people stopped and finally took a moment to take in the foreboding sight, a long column of men in haphazard rows, a strange unity to their movements. In the vanguard marched a solitary bedraggled figure, gaunt and stooped, he leaned on a five yard staff with red and black banner unfurled. Behind their lone standard bearer, many wizen old men bearing heavy loads were followed by the younger, stronger ones shouldering even larger burdens. With slow, heavy steps they approach the village. Backs bent under the weight, jaws set with unerring determination, the haze shied away from the fire in their eyes. As the column drew closer the ground began reverberating with their footfalls, so deep and strong you could feel in in your breast. So spoke the prophesies, “Preceded by thunder, they will come.”

Amongst the people the murmuring began, some trembled, some cried, but most stood in silent disbelief and watched as the long line of men drew nigh. This was legend, the stuff of fairy tales and stories told to comfort frightened children, but today the myths breathed and the mists were no match for the awesome strength of living legend. A young urchin scrambled along the dirt path leading through the center of the hovels, her shrill voice calling words no one else dared speak; “'tis The Horde, truly them, truly, The Horde cometh!”

“The Horde cometh.” Words of fable and myth, spoken by a frail waif. Simple words, they now brought strong men to their knees, tears streaking the dirt on their faces. It could not be true, there was no salvation, there was no end to the suffering, there was no Horde. Yet, here they were, the very earth itself trembling under their heavy steps, the woes of a thousand thousand thousand carried with unyielding spirit on strong backs.

No one understood The Horde, they were said to be stalwart heroes, volunteers all, bearing the burdens of the world on their shoulders. They came out of nowhere and left without word, hauling away the pains of those they encountered.

This is the Saga of The Horde, told by myself. Please allow me to introduce myself, I am known as 'relic'. On that day I took my place among the legendary . I shouldered my burden, the woes of my village, and I bore them away to leave behind a better life for my kinsmen.

Later there was a time when it was I that led the march and proudly carried our black and red banner, now I assumed my place and my burden a few steps behind. For a brief time I shall stop my endless march and recount to you our story.

Thus shall I commence; The Saga of The Horde.

I am the one known as relic, self-appointed chronicler of The Horde. I will attempt, to the best of my ability, to record the verbal traditions of The Horde's past as well as the current. Much of our history is remembered in fable and myth as told by the alde-tymers, the keepers of the spoken history of The Horde.

Being less than adept at the smithing of the written word I shall beg your pardon for my uneducated ramblings. As faithfully as possible I shall reproduce in written form the often conflicting stories of these verbal accounts.

Long before The Horde took up it's march there existed a fellowship of heroes from a land called Aich de Sea. These were The Horde's founders, although it was a long and winding road that carried them to the creation of The Horde and it's fabled travels. These fellows partook in glorious battles with the monsters of their time and sought may ancient mysteries.

The search for Eettee'.

An arduous and, some believe, an ultimately hopeless quest for a magical beast, a beast which dwells in that firmament which holds the heavens in their place. Eettee' was never found. Indeed the very existence of such a beast has never been satisfactorily proven and it may be no more than a flight of fancy. The heroes of Aich de Sea spent many long years searching for the elusive creature without success. It may be that, like the Grail and the Dragons, Eettee' has faded away into the mists of ancient fantasy. Still, strange glowing lights in the night sky, mutilated livestock, and occasional accounts of hostages taken and released with strange descriptions of arcane rituals conducted with magical wands traditionally known as Ain-al-Proabs, keep some searching for the secretive Eettee'.

The Quest for the Holy Prime

Another of the grand historic quests undertaken by the bold adventurers from Aich de Sea, the Quest for the Holy Prime was successfully completed by those stalwart fellows. Unfortunately the mystery only deepened when it was discovered that there were many Holy Prime rune sequences. As soon as one space was filled on the Pillar at the Temple of Prime another new space would appear. Deepening the mystery, no one could decipher the meaning of the Holy Primes and by and large interest wained as no use was found for the runes. To this day the secret of the Prime runes is unknown, it may be that there is no use for them and the quest was merely a journey without conclusion.

But grand deeds for one's own sake or the approval of one's fellows rang hollow for those brave souls. The smoldering yearnings for deeds greater than one man began to burn fiercely. No one knows for certain which great hero made that first fateful step. Though once taken, there was no doubt about what shall become. Determination was chiseled in hard set jaw and stern knit of brow. “This world will change, and I will change it.” Few words were needed as the first past his fellows and they fell in behind. “This world will change and WE will change it.”

Thus began The March of The Horde.

Slain dragons and stormed castles now seemed trivial things, for alone they were mere heroes, together the very earth itself trembled with their passing. As they marched the mountains boomed their footfalls and the forests bowed to their titanic strength. Pestilence and blight were dragged sniveling from their lairs and locked into heavy chests born by mighty thews. With monumental fortitude the ills of the world were hounded. For untold ages the scourges had pillaged the lives of the people, now the hunter was the hunted.

Betides the scourge of the scourges, plague cowers, for comes The Horde.

Renowned by their deeds, gird by fierce determination, shielded by honor against their foe, their ranks swollen with the heroes of every freehold and dominion, The Horde marched onward. Men and deed became legend and the sagas began, a bard long forgotten recorded their pledge. And so was written The Creed.

If thou art affliction
We, justice commence
Naught purlieu shall shelter ye
Nor span ward ye
Nigh be destiny manifest

Thou hast plagued our charge
We are aegis, we are bastion
For those powerless to resist ye
We shall opugn thee
Preceded by thunder, The Horde cometh

Subbed.

Also, this narrative will not be complete without Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Thread.

[Sorry for interrupting. :(]

more reservations...I get long winded occasionally

Well, like many great chronicles posted by the scribes of old at some point said chronicler (yes, that really is a word) must be fact checked. I will anoint and appoint myself to this oft overlooked and unappreciated task. I shall endeavor to persevere in my task of keep as accurate as possible what will be laid out before you.

Allow us to start here:

Being less than adept at the smithing of the written word I shall beg your pardon for my uneducated ramblings

While one must appreciate the humble beginnings of this missive one must also look to truth and being a seeker of truth I find the above statement is somewhat misleading.

Reality and previous experience would suggest that Sir relic is a silver tongued devil capable of charming a snake out of its skin and many a young sheep from their virginity.

For those who many have missed the subtlety of the above, relic is a Bullshiter extraordinaire. That said, it is the only fallacy I can uncover as of this moment;)

Well, like many great chronicles posted by the scribes of old at some point said chronicler (yes, that really is a word) must be fact checked. I will anoint and appoint myself to this oft overlooked and unappreciated task. I shall endeavor to persevere in my task of keep as accurate as possible what will be laid out before you.

and so it is written that on this day September the Twenty-Seventh in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Eight, we have entered and accepted this humble missive into the official record of this merry band of souls that will forever and from this day forward be know as The [H]orde.

Having been submitted by the self appointed chronicler of the [H]orde, relic, the scribe, foretold unto us by the ancients and confirmed by the self-anointed fact checker of great fame and merit who was given unto us with the name of Sheppard and known to the common amongst us as BillR. We do hereby approve and accept this virgin missive as the true and unadulterated record of the birth of this band of merry souls that will from this day and forever more be known and recounted as The [H]orde.

So let it be written, so let it be said, so let it be done.

I submit this claim to you my brethren, the band of merry souls known as the [H]orde, for acceptance into the official record, humbly as your self-appointed court jester known to all as the Wanderer.

Reality and previous experience would suggest that Sir relic is a silver tongued devil capable of charming a snake out of its skin and many a young sheep from their virginity.

For those who many have missed the subtlety of the above, relic is a Bullshiter extraordinaire. That said, it is the only fallacy I can uncover as of this moment;)

again, let us approve and accept the wisdom of said Sheppard that it has been shown to us the great folly of attempting to bullshit a bullshitter.

Mr relic, you have once again shown yourself as bein' one of the "pillars" of this great folding team ([H]orde team 33) and as BillR said you are a "bullpooper extraordinaire" (I think that means you'd be a good politician or a good used car salesman :eek:)

I do wish you'd be more careful in your use of the word "fruits", you don't want the "political police" to lock you up or, heaven forbid, make you go to bed without dinner (only kiddin :p)

Foldin' and WCGn' for a CURE

Subbed.

Also, this narrative will not be complete without Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Thread.

[Sorry for interrupting. :(]

And there was much rejoicing! ....yay...

Jeasus H. Christmas relic! That sent shivers down my spine and brought a tear to my eye!
Long live the Bard! For much hope is derived from, wisdom contained therein, the written words that we are priveleged to behold from the silver tongued one. For sorrowful shall be the day of thine passing into the mists of time and legend of which thou have spake...

Next update added, if you're interested.

I only tell the tale, it is you who must dare to live it. :p

Let be known the Chronicles of relic the bard have been recorded and fact checked and are hear by granted entry to the official “The Saga of The [H]orde” book of “The Saga of The [H]orde.;)

I creep into the back room with a stealth hammer and chisel and quietly chip away in one corner ..........

The [H]orde cometh and the dragon will be slain.

Luck .......... :D

Wow. Blast from the past. I remember reading this my first year of folding.

Brings back memories, he was the first name I remember from my lurker days, back when I was on another team

fitting to have this resurected (sp) 2 days before I mow the bard himself
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Relic was top 10 many years ago along with a few other fellows in here

What F@H needs is more relic. We all miss you old friend.

This must have been way before my time, but what happened to Relic? Did he just quit folding?

I cant tell you how many upgrades i have gone through in the 10 years i have been doing this. building new and giving away the older stuff to family and friends. 95% of folders just get spend $ out or cant run them at work anymore.

I cant tell you how many upgrades i have gone through in the 10 years i have been doing this. building new and giving away the older stuff to family and friends. 95% of folders just get spend $ out or cant run them at work anymore.
Yup, happened to me twice in the past decade although not at work. That's one of the reasons I am very vocal ad naseum on the budgeting aspect of the project. Few people who haven't done this as long as we have understand or fully appreciate the entire picture. It takes years and one's perspective slowly begins to change, especially if one permits doubt to creep inside deepening fractures in one's methodological framework.

This was very inspiring and I appreciate the bump as I must of missed it when it was posted the first time around, I suppose I wasn't spending much time in the forums back then. To hell with costs, I can't find a job, but I shall fold on until the electricity is turned off or the police drag me away from my unpaid apartment! :D (I can cover 3 more months of bills from now, so I've got some time before that, relax everyone.)

This was very inspiring and I appreciate the bump as I must of missed it when it was posted the first time around, I suppose I wasn't spending much time in the forums back then. To hell with costs, I can't find a job, but I shall fold on until the electricity is turned off or the police drag me away from my unpaid apartment! :D (I can cover 3 more months of bills from now, so I've got some time before that, relax everyone.)

Now THAT is [H]ardcore!

Think ye, that he is a myth? Mayhaps a fable or simply lost to history?
Nay, my brothers, the Bard still watches.

Think ye, that he is a myth? Mayhaps a fable or simply lost to history?
Nay, my brothers, the Bard still watches.
By the gods man! Where hast thou beenst?? :eek:

Back