Running OS X Leopard On A Netbook

HardOCP News

[H] News
Earlier this week we posted a video review of the MSI Wind. Overall we really like MSI’s netbook and found that it is an extremely capable device if you use it how it was intended. But what about using netbooks for stuff they weren’t intended to be used for? The gang at Wired were probably thinking that very same thing when they installed OS X Leopard on a netbook. Not only did it work, it ran pretty good too.

Because your Wind (or Akoya, or Advent) doesn't have an optical drive, though, you need an external DVD drive. Or do you? One of the holy grails of Wind hacking is installing OS X from a USB thumb drive. The MSIWindosx86 folks have done this, and it works perfectly, once you have the USB drive prepared.

The main problem (and deal-breaker for me) is that it doesn't support the MSI Wind's WiFi adapter yet. If it did, I'd upgrade in a flash.

(Yes, I realize I could buy an add-on WiFi card, but I don't want to do that).

Really want a Wind now.

I just dont use my computer as much any more and one of these things just seems so practical....

Who cares? Apple = glorified Fisher-Price activity centers for adults.

I did this a month or so ago with an eee pc 701... it ran a bit slow but everything worked after I switched out the wireless adapter with one from a dell.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain how wired expects to get away with this?

Their article not only outlines how to run the OS on a non-mac machine(which breaks the licensing agreement, no?) but from my understanding it tells you how to get the OS from a mac that is already running the OS.

Seriously...I wanna know. What were they thinking?

Oh please, will people once and for all get over the damned single clause of the EULA about installing OS X on non-Apple labeled hardware? When Apple gets a US court to rule in their favor that the EULA terms are enforceable and valid, so be it.

Going out and buying Leopard in a store in a retail box and bringing it home and installing it on what-the-fuck-ever equipment I damned well choose is my business. Been installing OS X derivatives for years now since I released the world's first generic installation DVD for OSx86 back in 2005 - we just celebrated a big 3 year anniversary of that event back on September 2nd.

Complaining about the "non-Apple labeled" clause is about as useful as whining to a cop giving you a ticket for driving 26 in a 25 MPH zone.

wow, i guess i really opened up a can of worms. then i might as well do this. why does apple have to be such nazi's about their stuff? oh and thanks for the informative replies. i really appreciate it when people opt not to give smug, fanboy responses. i dont care what you think abotu a mac, i just want my question answered. so again, thanks to those who replied with some intelligence

Back