High CPU usage, svchost.exe and kernel32.dll the culprit.

aliensRreal

Limp Gawd
Kernel32.dll is causing high CPU usage. According to Process Explorer the svchost.exe task and thread kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22 are the problems. When suspending kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22 the usage goes to normal and the PC is completely usable. If kernel32.dll is replace will this issue be fixed or can this process be denied access to the system without troubles?

Currently, kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22 is under suspension through Process Explorer, but that will only last until a reboot.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,
Chris

When does this happen usually? Start up? After you run a specific program? After a few hours? And what OS?

This is Windows XP and this problem starts at load and continues until kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22 is suspended, but with it suspended internet access in IE does not function. Everything is being completed via logmein so the whole connection is obviously not down.

Also, there are two services associated with this svchost.exe, Term services and dcom launcher.

Do a sfc /scannow through the command line to check if the system files have been corrupted.

It works with either. It's more likely to repair quicker with safe mode but does just as well with normal mode since it requires you to reboot anyways.

aliens, I have the solution.

Go into msconfig (type in run). Go to startup and disable all of those items, then click on processes and click hide microsoft processes, then disable all of those. Reboot the system, see that the cpu is fine. At this point, start selectively re-enabling items and rebooting, until you determine which is causing the high cpu usage. (those 2 files you listed are windows files that are being effected by an application).

aliens, I have the solution.

Go into msconfig (type in run). Go to startup and disable all of those items, then click on processes and click hide microsoft processes, then disable all of those. Reboot the system, see that the cpu is fine. At this point, start selectively re-enabling items and rebooting, until you determine which is causing the high cpu usage. (those 2 files you listed are windows files that are being effected by an application).

I thought about doing that, but again, concerned about boot issues or hindered usage. I am not very familiar with services and as a result do not know anything about them.

Couldn't I just set a permissions statement denying all access to that file? Process Explorer has that option. Again, hindered usage and boot issues scare me from doing this.

I thought about doing that, but again, concerned about boot issues or hindered usage. I am not very familiar with services and as a result do not know anything about them.

Couldn't I just set a permissions statement denying all access to that file? Process Explorer has that option. Again, hindered usage and boot issues scare me from doing this.
You can't block kernal32.

A program is running that is causing the OS (kernel32) to run a repeating thread. By disabling startup programs, your not hindering yourself, because you're going to turn them all back on once you find the one that is causing the issue. How are you hurting yourself.

You turn off all startup items. Then you go to processes, click on hide the Microsoft ones, so you're not hindering anything OS related, then disable the rest of the startup processes. Once you reboot you'll see that you're cpu is not being used like that anymore. You then start turning the applications back on one or two at a time, untill you notice the issue comes back. Then you know that program is what is causing it.

You can't block kernal32.

A program is running that is causing the OS (kernel32) to run a repeating thread. By disabling startup programs, your not hindering yourself, because you're going to turn them all back on once you find the one that is causing the issue. How are you hurting yourself.

You turn off all startup items. Then you go to processes, click on hide the Microsoft ones, so you're not hindering anything OS related, then disable the rest of the startup processes. Once you reboot you'll see that you're cpu is not being used like that anymore. You then start turning the applications back on one or two at a time, untill you notice the issue comes back. Then you know that program is what is causing it.

Alright, will check into this. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've got the exact same problem, so I'm listening in.

aliensRreal, did you try the suggested solution? Did it help?

BR Lauritzen

I started off by killing the process using the individual strand of svchost that was causing the issue using Process Explorer. Once that was completed my customer needed to get back to work so the temporary fix was left alone. After a week or two he said things were no longer very slow and the problem seemed fixed.

Back