Areca 12x0 owners - help!

arnemetis

2[H]4U
I'm getting an Areca 1220 card soon for a 5 disk raid5 array, but from the looks of it and reviews it seems that tiny fan and heatsink make a lot of noise. I'm interested in seeking out a replacement heatsink and fan, but I've had no luck finding centerline dimensions for the heatsink mounting. Could someone measure the center to center of the pushpins that hold on the heatsink and post it here? Has someone already done this and found a good replacement? I'm building a water cooled computer so there will be very limited airflow in the area. Thanks in advance!

i have an ARC-1220 the fan is inaudible as far as im concerned.. plus it overheats if you swap it for the fanless heatsink included in the package...

i will measure for you when i get home from work ok... not for about 6 hours though.. bear with me ;)

posting my pic today..
http://members.iinet.net.au/~gaspah/Complete.jpg

I have a 1210, and I am using the active cooler. The fan is inaudible to me, and my case is pretty quiet overall. I am not sure, of course fans may differ, but I wouldn't worry about the fan till you actually test your's out.

I can measure it tomorrow when I get back to work, unless gaspah comes through earlier.

Incidentally I will use this thread to point out that I am unable to flash the firmware on my 1210 using the web interface, all I get is a HTTP Protocol error, just as described here: http://faq.areca.com.tw/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=280

Except the beta version will not run at all, it generates java (java is the devil!) errors, even though I have the latest everything installed. Ah well ...

I've got a 1210 as well and would agree with the others that the fan is inaudible. The only noise the card makes is the beeping when powering on etc. I honestly wouldn't even bother with the fan. My comp isn't close to measure the heatsink right now or I'd get you another measurement if that pic isn't enough.

I have the 1280 and the fan seemed silent for me. If you are a silence nut, I suggest you look at another card or rethink the whole concept of trying to run an array in your quiet pc.

I'm not a silent nut :D I'll have 8x yate loon 120's so this thing will not be silent, just quiet, What I did NOT want was some whiny high pitched fan, which seems to happen with a fan of this size (ie annoying chipset fans). After seeing everyone here deem the fan inaudiable, I think I'll pass on modding it. Thanks for all the input!

Back