newbie config, need help

yousuf911

n00b
so basically i just built this pretty good computer with decent specs. now i just want to achieve maximum performance with my new rig. i am not really concerned with overclocking, as long as the standard settings are fast enough. i was hoping if anyone had a similar build they can give me some advice on how to set the bios and what little mods i can do to make my computer run at its best.

at the moment i have everything on system default and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to properly set up my bios accordingly with my components.i.e voltages,system clocks, cpu configuration and so on.

also any suggestions to overclock a little bit to increase performance without risk of damaging components is great too.

detailed list of system specs
thermaltake kandalf va9000bws case
650 watt antec true power trio power supply
xfx 790i ultra sli motherboard with p06 bios
qx9650 core 2 extreme processor @ 3.0ghz
true 120 heatsink with 120 mm fan
Corsair TWIN3X 1333MHz DDR3, 2048MB, DHX ,Kit w/two 1GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-27 1 GB (TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX G) ( 3 1gb sticks )
zotac 8800 gts ( g92 ) video card
x fi platinum sound card
160 gb raptor hard drive
2 terabyte hard drives for storage
Vista OS

Current temps C"
system 90
CPU 42
aux 39

First thing is to go into the bios and verify the memory has been detected and is set to run at the advertised (by the manuf) speeds which are 9 9 9 24 (you put 27, a typo maybe ? )

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX.pdf

Second read the bios section of the manual as many times as it takes, google anything you cant understand or post back, to understand what all the options do.

Third read this. it is for the older 680I board but the baisic bios settings and method of OCing the board is the same. It is by Nvidia so the info is pretty solid.
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf

Develop a plan that includes testing and taking notes and only test/OC one section of the system at a time and learn its limits or reaction to things like increased voltages and frequencies. For example test the cpu with the memory locked (unlinked) so that changes in frequency do not affect the memory and determine what the cpu will do (temps and proper operation during stress testing) with increases in frequency and voltage. Then look at the memory sub system. Then look at the northbridge voltages. Then move to the video card. Once you know what each sub-system will do you can set a cpu speed goal and probably reach it easily.

Meanwhile you have been using the machine for a week or two and know it is stable and is ready to be investigated.

The worst thing you can do is start messing with stuff you do not understand. It probably would not hurt anything, just be a waste of time.

thanks for the input, what i find odd is when i increase anything like fsb to 1600mhz or processor to 11 multiplier ( 3.66 ghz ) i get a blue screen when windows starts, or a few seconds after the desktop loads it just turns off. any suggestions?

Bump up your voltage.

Overclocking isn't an exact science. You're going to have to play around with it. Other users that have the same components can give you a ballpark figure of where you should be, but you might not hit as high as them, or you could hit higher.

Thats a power hungry board, up the voltage to nb , 400fsb should oc the ram nicely within doable
ranges

quick ? shouldnt a 45nm cpu like the one i have qx9650 bundled with a thermalright 120 extreme heatsink be running cooler then 42'C

quick ? shouldnt a 45nm cpu like the one i have qx9650 bundled with a thermalright 120 extreme heatsink be running cooler then 42'C

Idle or load? If that's a load temp, the heatsink is running great. Also, what's your ambient temp?

The 790i isn't exactly a beginner board. Anyway, what is that ram config exactly? Do I read three 1GB sticks? You should try two in one bank first and they should be identical.

the 42'c is the idle temp, it jumps to about 58'c when i run prime 95 for like an hour. the ambient temp is pretty cool i have a window air conditioner so my room temp is about 70'f or less atleast. secondly yes i have three identical 1gb sticks.

That is actually pretty hot for a TRUE. Are you sure you have it mounted properly? Try doing the washer trick to increase mounting pressure and see if that helps.

Back