Annoying HD4870 Issue

XboxodX

Gawd
Okay, I saw a thread on here about this, but since the search function is disabled, I can't find it. Anyways, I can't use the DVI port on my monitor with my 4870, only the VGA port. I have a Viewsonic VX2035wm. It a 20.1" monitor with a resolution of 1680 x 1050. I've tried fiddling with all the options in the CCC. The "Reduce DVI Frequency on High-Resolution Displays" and "Alternate DVI Operational Mode" options do nothing. I really don't know what to do. This was happening with the 8.6 hotfix drivers, so I decided to move to the 8.7 betas to see if they would fix this and they obviously don't. Any ideas?

This was happening to me as well. I have a dell 2407 and what i did was connect the monitor using the vga to dvi adapter and while I was in windows I unplugged the vga cable and connected the DVI and it worked. So far no more issues. I don't know if you tried hotswapping the cables while in your windows.

Yeah, that didn't work either. I really don't know what to try next short of a full reformat and reinstall.

Yeah, that didn't work either. I really don't know what to try next short of a full reformat and reinstall.

Hello, I had the same problem and it's not the video card it's the monitor. Unfortunatly I was never able to fix it and people were sending the monitor for rma. search in the display forums.

Hello, I had the same problem and it's not the video card it's the monitor. Unfortunatly I was never able to fix it and people were sending the monitor for rma. search in the display forums.
I remember a thread around here where that guy had the same monitor as me and the same problem and he managed to fix it. I just can't find it without the search function.

That could be it. My EDID became corrupt once with a GTS I had to reset it. I did the same thing before I swapped the cables. Maybe check with viewsonic ?

Okay, I have concluded that something is wrong with the drivers. The 4870 works fine with this monitor using the DVI cable until the drivers load when vista is booting. Maybe I should have stated this before. I can use the DVI cable, but when the radeon drivers load, something happens and I lose the video signal. I've tried searching on google, but I came up with nothing. Ideas?

Did you try uninstalling the drivers via device manager, rebooting and then manually installing them in device manager by having vista browse the specific ati folder on the c: drive ?

Yeah, that didn't work either. I might of borked the installation a while ago and it's raised it's ugly head now. I've been getting BSODs so i'm gonna reformat and reinstall pretty soon and see what happens.

Did you use driver cleaner between install of drivers???

I have 4870s in Crossfire,the hotfix drivers and x64 Vista and see no problems on a Dell 2407.

I had the same issue with a 9800gtx. The display would work fine until the NVIDIA drivers loaded. I had to hack the EDID in the NVIDIA drivers search this site for how to hack. I don't know the solution for ATI, since all my ATI cards have not had the problem. Maybe Moniotr INF from viewsonic will help.

Did you use driver cleaner between install of drivers???

I have 4870s in Crossfire,the hotfix drivers and x64 Vista and see no problems on a Dell 2407.

Of course. I always clean out the old drivers before installing new ones.

I had the same issue with a 9800gtx. The display would work fine until the NVIDIA drivers loaded. I had to hack the EDID in the NVIDIA drivers search this site for how to hack. I don't know the solution for ATI, since all my ATI cards have not had the problem. Maybe Moniotr INF from viewsonic will help.

I already have the driver for the monitor installed. Since I can't search the site, what exactly am I looking for?

Here is the link for the drivers:

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/drivers.cfm?category=1&formName=monitor

NVIDIA EDID

Google search results

http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1231737

http://analogbit.com/node/23

Viewsonic EDID update utility ?
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers2.htm

Someone else with simular issue?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1307069

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1128872

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&q=viewsonic+EDID+repair&btnG=Search

This one looks promising

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1040780&page=2

Found This on GURU3D
You should all register in official AMD/ATI froums there are many useful threads over there.
All of you guys that switched sides from nvidia-ATI and having DVI monitors blanked read this maybe it can help you:

Ok, after almost 24 hours of work, I finally fixed my DVI output with my ATI 4850. Like many, I had the problem where there was NO DVI input at all (no BIOS screen, no Windows nothing), but the system would run fine with an Analog VGA connection. Even if your DVI is working up until Windows, I think this is a potential solution.

I strongly suspect most if not all of us that have the DVI problem mentioned have used an NVIDIA card with the monitor in question. I say this because there are many reports on the Internet that NVIDIA cards have editd or corrupted the EDID (think of it as monitor firmware) of monitors and this is precisely what I believe happened in my case. I had one monitor that had an 8800GT attached to it and it did not post with either my ATI 4850 OR 3850 video cards. I had the exact same model of monitor attached to the computer with the 3850 and it posted both ATI cards and the 8800GT without problem.

So essentially, to solve the problem, we need to fix the corrupted EDID. To do this, you MAY need to have access to the exact same monitor that has a functional EDID. You will AT LEAST need access to another video card or system that will post to the DVI port of the affected monitor. Also, before you begin, you must take note that a different EDID exists for both your DVI and VGA ports, so don't update the EDID with the wrong plug attached (like I did), otherwise you'll be in bad shape.

Three programs I used to help me are as follows:

Viewsonic EDID Editor: http://www.viewsonic.com/support/dri...oad.cfm?key=87

Phoenix EDID Designer: http://www.tucows.com/download.html?..._id=329441&t=2

EnTech PowerStrip: http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Now, before you go any further, a simple test to see if actually your EDID is a problem is to install Viewsonic EDID Editor and use it to read the EDID. If it says it cannot read the EDID, then your EDID is a problem. I suppose it could read a corrupted EDID as well, but I'm not sure.

If you happen to find an identical monitor, you can use the Viewsonic EDID Editor or Phoenix EDID Designer to save the EDID of the monitor into a file (Phoenix is much better than Viewsonic for this). Now remember, if a DVI cable is plugged in, you will be saving the DVI EDID (which is what you want). Don't save the EDID if the monitor is connected through an Analog VGA cable.

If you are unable to find an identical monitor to yours, the next step may still work.

The program that actually can fix the problem is EnTech PowerStrip. Unfortunately, you need a licensed version to do this (the trial version will not). I looked for free EDID Updating utilities on the internet, but coudn't find any, perhaps some of you might have more luck.

Now connect the monitor to the video card or computer that will actually work with the DVI port of your monitor (you MUST be connected to DVI port of the monitor). Now, install and run EnTech PowerStrip. If you go to "Monitor Information" there is a drop down menu at the bottom left that lets you update your EDID. If you're lucky, when you try updating it, it might say there is a corrupted EDID and offer to fix it for you. In that case, click OK and the problem will be fixed. If it doesn't give you that option, you need a copy of a working DVI EDID for your monitor, use that file to update your EDID and things should work after that.

Hopes this helps. I hope ATI reads this and can offer an easier solution. I think a potential solution would be to offer a fix with the Catalyst drivers that updates the EDID so their cards work properly.

I had the same issue with my Dell 2707.. I changed the cable, installed the hotfix drivers and updated vista and one of those three things fixed it.

Sorry not much help, but it was annoying :(

Okay, well I managed to get XP installed on another sata drive I own and am using my old 8800gts. The DVI port works, so it's a corrupted EDID. Does anyone have a working EDID for my monitor (a Viewsonic VX2035wm) so I can flash it? Thanks!

Okay, here's what happened. I sent the monitor for an RMA. I just got it back today and it's doing the same thing, but now with something else: the VGA port doesn't work with the freakin card! The VGA port works with my laptop, so I know it's not the monitor. I'm beginning to think that the card is bad. I'm going to put my 8800gts back in tonight and see what happens. If worst comes to worst, i'm going to RMA the 4870 to newegg, then sell the new card I get back and buy a GTX260, as i've never had any problems with nVidia cards in the past. We'll see what happens.

I would try a different DVI monitor. Sounds like your's is just not going to work. That is why I stopped reccomending viewsonic to anyone these days. They have fallen far from the tree.

I would try a different DVI monitor. Sounds like your's is just not going to work. That is why I stopped reccomending viewsonic to anyone these days. They have fallen far from the tree.
I'm using an older NEC monitor right now and it works perfectly, but I don't think that it's the monitor as both ports on the monitor work with other cards.

It is something with the way NVIDIA uses the EDID. I have heard of this too many times when people go from Nvidia to ATI. Did you run driver sweeper? It has to be something in the registry modifying the way the EDID is interpreted by NVIDIA which makes it not compatible with ATI. A reload of windows would probably fix it.

It is something with the way NVIDIA uses the EDID. I have heard of this too many times when people go from Nvidia to ATI. Did you run driver sweeper? It has to be something in the registry modifying the way the EDID is interpreted by NVIDIA which makes it not compatible with ATI. A reload of windows would probably fix it.
It's not the EDID. I was running a new install of Vista when the monitor got back and it was actually worse as the 4870 wouldn't even display using the VGA port. The monitor itself works fine with my old 8800gts (which i'm using right now) and my laptop. I'm gonna see if newegg will RMA the card for me, then i'll probably sell it and get a GTX260.

does it sound to you guys like NVIDIA is playing their "corrupt EDID" as a nice turning point for customers to go back to their "untroubled" company? A little shady sounding...

does it sound to you guys like NVIDIA is playing their "corrupt EDID" as a nice turning point for customers to go back to their "untroubled" company? A little shady sounding...
In my case, though, it's not the EDID, it's either an incompatibility between the card and the monitor, or the card is not functioning properly. This was the second time I had been burned by ATI's offering, so i'm heading back to nVidia. I've had 2 ATI cards, and both gave me issues. I've had 2 nVidia cards and they were perfect. ATI has officially lost a customer. I've sent the card back to newegg and plan to buy a GTX260 when the refund clears.

EDID is used to find out what resolution and frequency does your monitor support. Great. Boot windows using VGA cable then without unplugging it connect DVI cable. In Display Manager click Detect Displays (or doubleclick on inactive display). It should become "enabled" and appear in leftside tree as Digital Panel (DVI). Now in Display Manager use "Force" to set correct settings for your DVI display. I know it's not a perfect solution but it worked for me (unfortunately only untill next driver install). Other option is to install specific driver for your monitor, after detecting it in Dispaly Manager it should appear in Device Manager. Just change a driver for it.

EDID is used to find out what resolution and frequency does your monitor support. Great. Boot windows using VGA cable then without unplugging it connect DVI cable. In Display Manager click Detect Displays (or doubleclick on inactive display). It should become "enabled" and appear in leftside tree as Digital Panel (DVI). Now in Display Manager use "Force" to set correct settings for your DVI display. I know it's not a perfect solution but it worked for me (unfortunately only untill next driver install). Other option is to install specific driver for your monitor, after detecting it in Dispaly Manager it should appear in Device Manager. Just change a driver for it.
Believe me dude, I've tried that. Nothing I did made the monitor and the card play nice with each other. When I got the monitor back from RMA, the VGA and DVI didn't work, but they worked with other cards I tried (before, the VGA worked, but the DVI didn't). I concluded that it was the card or the drivers, or a combination of both, that was causing the problem. As I stated above, the card has already been sent back and i'll be ordering a GTX260 on monday.

Back