Laptop Giving 3 Random Beeps

AVAFREAK182

2[H]4U
Starting today, my laptop give 3 beeps randomly.

Anyone know what gives?

It seems to be when it moves a lot, thought maybe not. Also, when this happens, it freezes for like 2 seconds. Possible overheating?

Its a Compaq NC6220

maybe when moving you're holding down some keys?

probably not overheating though if it happens when you move it, some laptops don't react well to movement while on if not in the default position.

OK, so it IS when I move it that it beeps and freezes, then a couple seconds later is fine. HDD problem?

IDK about warranty.

I took it apart and cleaned it all out and such, there was A LOT of dust clumped in the fans and such, so I cleaned it. It's still doing it, just less.

Many times, laptop casings have a thin metal plating on the inside that can short a component if designed badly or simply worn from the stresses of being picked up. Does this happen if you move it in a certain way or certain spot?

This piece of metal can often be in a tough-to-reach spot and I would not advise you to completely take apart the notebook if you're not too experienced or confident - unless you're desperate to fix this issue.

I remember working on an HP laptop for this issue and the inside of the casing ended up a big mess of electrical tape before the problem was actually solved - of course you want to gradually take off tape where it doesn't seem needed - trial and error... very tedious work.

In conclusion... hope you have a warranty so the manufacturer can worry about it.

No it just happens when I kinda move it in general.

Okay. Well... it can still be the problem I mentioned above. Not a ton of moving parts in a laptop otherwise. I would recommend taking out the HDD and powering up the unit, and then trying to move it around...

It's a HD error. Mine does the same thing and has slowly, over the last few years, been getting worse. I suspect a cracked solder joint on the mobo or maybe HD slot interface.

If the system suddenly starts running very slowly, Windoze may have reset the HD controller to work in PIO mode. You can reset the system by deleting the HD adapter in the system/hardware page. Windoze will re-install drivers, running DMA as is proper, at the next boot.

If only he knew this five years ago, he could have avoided losing everything when his hard drive finally gave up the ghost. So many opportunities lost...

My laptop has beeped on me when it becomes overloaded and I continue to issue commands.

Back