Bootable format utility?

rapid

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a bootable app that can format a drive on its own (so without requiring an OS).

There's plenty of bootable apps that can wipe a drive, but those I've found don't seem to have formatting capabilities. I was hoping there would be something out there that could atleast do FAT32 but my google searches haven't found anything. So has anyone ever come across an app that could do this? :)

I'm looking for a bootable app that can format a drive on its own (so without requiring an OS).

There's plenty of bootable apps that can wipe a drive, but those I've found don't seem to have formatting capabilities. I was hoping there would be something out there that could atleast do FAT32 but my google searches haven't found anything. So has anyone ever come across an app that could do this? :)

Maybe this could help

Just make sure the Win98 format command is on that startup flash drive.

PartedMagic - not to be confused with Partition Magic which should be avoided these days at all costs. Hasn't bene updated in nearly 5 years, Vista can't stand it, etc.

PartedMagic is where the Gparted project sortakinda left off and some new people took over development, so it's "new," and regularly updated because they stay on top of things.

And, it can work from CD, USB stick, or even across a network using PXE boot functionality.

Download and burn The Ultimate Boot disk iso. It has a few formatting utilities from HDD manufacturer's. Last time I had Gparted format a HDD it messed it up. Good for destroying parttions but not so sure about formatting for Windows. Will have to check out the PartedMagic though. Ultimate Boot Disk has lots of useful tools besides formatting tools so should be in every power users tool box.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Back