Sign your own drivers

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
Vista64 SP1 won't let you use unsigned drivers, so no ATI tools nor cinemacraft encoder for me.

There's a new tool Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider which lets you sign your own drivers to make them work on vista64 SP1

I tried it with ATI tools and finally got it working.

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

uhh I have installed unsigned drivers on my vista 64 ultimate sp1 install. The beta 174.74 nvidia drivers are unsigned.

While this is interesting, for the moment, I myself would stay away from such a tool. Next thing we know people will start dumping 'self-signed drivers' all over the place and in the long run that defeats the entire purpose of the signing in the first place which is to ensure the x64 version of the OS remains more stable.

People just signing shitty drivers means we get shitty signed drivers, simple. It's not a good thing... and then we start getting people needing help when everything breaks because they chose to use shitty signed drivers. See how it just snowballs out of control, fast?

That tool could also be dangerous in the wrong hands... IMO it should be removed from the internet (like that's possible :rolleyes:)

People just signing shitty drivers means we get shitty signed drivers, simple.
Probably not since this is a separate utility to enable a "testsigningmode" in Vista and self sign the driver (the operative phrase). Distributing these "self" signed drivers will not be a simple process, pretty much leaving it as a DIY task on each destination computer.

Someone won't be able to just install a "self" signed driver and have it run under x64 without also either signing it themselves and also running the utility. It might be possible to export the certificate used to sign the driver and have the recipient install that certificate, but the recipient will still also have to run the utility. Notice the pattern? :p

It's a nice hack, but it doesn't change much overall other than letting individuals use unsigned drivers with less fuss. That's kind of how it's presented. How strange!

Yah, I realize that. I also realize Vista already has the ability to do this without the need for some third-party tool I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw the coder. :D

Pressing F8 and choosing the option is one, or modifying the boot.ini parameters to "force" Vista to always allow unsigned drivers would be the methods I'd choose before tampering with the files themselves or the sigs. But then again, I'd never run unsigned drivers in the first place...

But, alas, that's just me.

I agree that this probably wouldn't be a good thing if it got popular and ran all over the place, but I have to say that it's nice to quick fix some things. As long as drivers are distinguishable I don't see what the problem is.

Yah, I realize that. I also realize Vista already has the ability to do this without the need for some third-party tool I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw the coder. :D

Pressing F8 and choosing the option is one, or modifying the boot.ini parameters to "force" Vista to always allow unsigned drivers would be the methods I'd choose before tampering with the files themselves or the sigs. But then again, I'd never run unsigned drivers in the first place...

But, alas, that's just me.

UInfortunately, that would allow all unsigned drivers to run - when I might want to allow just a specific personally-approved driver to run instead - something like Rivatuner's driver, for example.

Yeah but, it's not like unsigned drivers just sneak up on ya... they only function when you install 'em, yanno - UAC would alert you to anything tryin' to do somethin' funny in the background, right? Or would you do something silly like disable it? :D

Just kidding... I think this thing has run its course anyway.

Is it possible to use this tool to sign beta nvidia drivers so blu ray and hd dvd discs will play?

Is it possible to use this tool to sign beta nvidia drivers so blu ray and hd dvd discs will play?

As mentioned previously, all Nvidia drivers are signed already. The problem is that beta drivers lack WHQL certification, which this isn't going to help with.

I wonder, could I sign the VMWare Server drivers that cause issues on V x64- I haven't tried to install it in months, but originally I heard that you had to enable unsigned driver support each reboot if you installed VMWare Server.

A misunderstanding is that a "signature" indicates some sort of quality. It doesn't. The only thing driver signing means, is that the driver came from where it says it came from. It's sort of a PGP signature for drivers. There's nothing stopping anyone from releasing a buggy driver that's signed. However, you'll know who to complain to. 8)

VMWare *still* hasn't signed their drivers? Ugh.. even Virtualbox, which is freeware, has signed drivers.

Back