Error due to DgiVecp service failing to start

Ubtree

n00b
In Event Viewer, Service Control Manager is regularly reporting that DgiVecp failing to start.

Internet searches have found nothing about DgiVecp(other than that it may be related to an esoteric Samsung printer, but the only Samsung device that I have ever installed on the PC is a memory stick).

I can find no drivers etc. on my hard drive that could relate to DgiVecp.

I have found a 4 registry keys that refer to DgiVecp:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_DGIVECP
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\DgiVecp
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_DGIVECP
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DgiVecp
I am reluctant simply to delete these keys, since I do not know what they are supposed to do, and I am far from an expert when it comes to registry issues.

On the other hand, I would be happy simply to disable the service, but I can see no reference in the Local Services to DgiVecp.

My questions are:
  1. Does anyone know what DgiVecp might do?
  2. Should I simply disable DgiVecp by changing a registry setting? (And, if so, how do I do this?) Or is there a better way to address the problem?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thank you for the links. I had not come across the second link, but based on that I have been able to disable it in the System Hardware panel.

Many thanks.

I have actually now been able to identify, without doubt, what installation has generated the reference to the DgiVecp.sys driver: it is a Dell 1815dn (multifunction laser printer). It seems to be operating without the driver, but it would be reassuring to be able to obtain and install the file. Unfortunately, according to Dell, issues such as these are not covered by their standard warranty.

Back