single rail 12v with 18a, is that enough for 8800gt ?

N

nösferatu

just noticed some sort of screeching sound coming from my recently purchased eagle 8800gt when playing 3d games, do i need to buy new psu?

rig in sig, please help.

ouch....am i risking my hardware if i insist to use that psu in a long run? or will it be just stability issue?

so new psu is a MUST now?
jeez, that's a lot of hard-earned cash to drop on 8800gt.

According to eVGA, the minimum amperage required for the entire system is 22A on the +12V rail. So yes 18A is a bit anemic for your rig.

In the long run, yes you are risking your hardware since the PSU is being pushed to its limits here. Keep pushing the PSU and it will die. In addition, some PSUs will start giving improper voltage and power to your hardware when pushed to their limits. So it's not worth the risk to your rig.

However, are you sure that screeching sound is from your video card? Next time you play a game, leave the case side open and try to locate the source of the noise.

i did leave my case open and the screeching was very noticeable.
now that you say it, is there any chance that other component actually making that screeching?

i know that 22a required at least, but i've heard that they said 22a min. just to make safe-sure because there's a lot of poor quality psu on the market.

don't think my wife will let me drop another cash for a new psu.

nösferatu;1032296155 said:
now that you say it, is there any chance that other component actually making that screeching?
It could be from the power supply, the video card, HSF, the motherboard itself. You're gonna have to locate the source yourself.

I'm confused: when a video card says it needs 26A on the 12V rail, is that on a single rail? Because I have a corsair 620hx and it has 3 12V rails, but each one is only 18A. So a 620w isn't good enough for a 9600GT?!

The card makes that noise when it doesn't have enough power, that's normal. You'll notice it if you unplug the PCI-E power connector and try to boot the system as well. Looks like you're gonna need a better PSU.

I'm confused: when a video card says it needs 26A on the 12V rail, is that on a single rail? Because I have a corsair 620hx and it has 3 12V rails, but each one is only 18A. So a 620w isn't good enough for a 9600GT?!

No that's not on a single rail. It means that the video and the system will need at least 26A out of the total amperage on the +12V rail. For example, the Corsair 620HX has 50A on the +12V rail total. A system with the 9600GT only needs 26A out of that 50A. So the 620HX is more than enough for the 9600GT.

see what happens when u run ur cpu at stock. An OC'd cpu uses mucho power.

The 26A recommendation is for the entire system and not just the video card. Even then the recommendation is on the high side to account for generic psu's. FWIW the Corsair HX series list three 12V rails, but both the HX520/620 are in fact a single rail design with a single ocp/ovp point. Even Corsair's smallest psu (VX450) would easily power a 9600GT.

A quality psu with one 18A and one 14A rail with a combined wattage of 348W would also have enough power to run a 9600GT and a C2Q.

it's not uncommon for smaller watt PSUs like HTPC pre-builts w/250-300w PSUs which can power 8800 series cards.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I didn't realize the 26A recommendation was for the entire system not just the card.

thanks for everyone's help, the screeching is gone now, i just noticed that it was coming from cooler master aerogate II's built in hdd fan.
so i just lowered the fan.

still thinkin' that i'd new new psu that has more amp on the 12v, duh.

Back