Just bought a Hannspree HF289H 28" LCD

dslrjunky

2[H]4U
I got it @ bestbuy with 12% off RZ membership card, I want to know what panel it is i cant seem to find any info yet in the wild, even on hanns website it is not showing up,even at bestbuy they still have the old one I checked google only 1 came up and that guy even mistakenly link it to the old hanns-g review with 800:1 contrast ratio 1xhdmi and 1xvga :rolleyes:,
the one i got has 2xhdmi 1xvga 1xcomponent 1xrca 2xaudio connections (headphones,speakers) 2400:1 contrast ratio, different menu layout, no info on viewing angle even on the box or manual and has a xtune (calibrating software i guess).. i need info on the panel if any of you guys can help me, if it is decent or not, as i want to avoid restocking fee at all cost....

If you view the lcds vertical angle and see color shifting at a limited angle then no doubt it's TN. I am pretty sure it is TN. If it was something other than a TN panel, It would cost alot for a 28" non TN lcd.

I bought one yesterday too, I wanted another one but there aren't any available to order. So far very pleased with it though.

yep very please, i think it is much better than the older one, I'm not quite familiar with contrast ratio though... but PQ is much better on this even on certain angles...

If you LCD height adjustment is like mines, then...there should be a flat plastic piece in the back that you press in. While pushing that flat plastic piece, you then adjust the monitors height to your desired setting.

There is a plastic button in the back right? If so, you have to press it and adjust at the same time. Make sure you press it all the way in.

yep a protruding plastic tab...try it again...do i push down to the base or push towards the back of the monitor?

Well by default, your LCD looks like its all the way down. When you press that pastic piece in, you grasp the LCD panel and pull up 90 degrees. Or what you do is have your left hand grasping the bottom of the panel and you have your right hand pressing the plastic piece in. Once you press that tab in and holding it in then with your left hand pull or push the LCD panel vertically up 90 degrees. If it's too hard then maybe its at its full height and you need to push it down instead.

my monitor has a gap between the base plate @ around 1-4in the monitor is raised @ about 6-8in from the table, my desk is those 2 layer L-shaped desk.. Thanks hardwareguru!! yeah i think it is hard to adjust, not that i need it but it is really hard to adjust..!!Thanks..

Yah, I gotta help out my fellow Hanns 28" LCD owners. LoL. I love this display. For the price, it does deliver!

2400:1 you sure that's not the Dynamic Contrast Ratio? Also, did yours come with any stuck pixels?

The display is a TN panel.

2400:1 you sure that's not the Dynamic Contrast Ratio? Also, did yours come with any stuck pixels?

2400:1 is definitely dynamic contrast, 800:1 is the real contrast ratio

Manufacturers like to use dynamic contrast to sell their products because people that don't know any better will get the one with the bigger number.

The contrast is definately improved with the new version. I noticed the dark grays had a "Black-Hole" effect on the old version while looking straght on (best way to describe is a dark shade of gray appearing darker than the black background it is next to). The new one does dark grays much better. For example on this test , I would stop seeing the gradients clearly at 10 on the old, and would it start to give to give the black-hole appearence at 5. (Blocks 6-9 showed some odd results... the gradients could almost be seen depending on if you viewed slightly off-center but quick started showing signs of black-hole, however all 4 looked a lot like each other dead-on.) On the same test and with the new version I could see the gradients all the way to 3. With X-Contrast turned on it changed to 2 (On-The-Fly Contrast Setting).

Oh, and no stuck pixels than I can see as of yet!

I decided to go to BB and check this 28" out. I was very skeptical that this monitor would fill the gap between my current Dell 24" and my friends 3007 which is beautiful, but I find it difficult to read text on the 30" at the 2560 resolution. Text at lower res on a 30" looks like crap and using accessibility wizard for larger text provides mixed results.

Any, BB had a Hanns-G HG281DJ on the shelf (none in box) with a 10% discount for a price of $500. I decided I'd bring it home to test out and figured I could return it and order one in a box later if I liked it.

Boy am I surprised! This thing looks much better than I expected. The text are just the right size and very crisp. I haven’t had a chance to try many games yet but WoW looked pretty good with no signs of lag or tear. It's definitely an improvement over my Dell 24", so I’m crossing my fingers that I'll still feel this the perfect compromise for 50% MS Office work/ 50% gaming after a few more days of experience

Questions for the OP….is the model you mentioned a newer version of the HG281D? I cant find it anywhere on the web or at BB online. Should I return this one and get the newer model?

Also, what monitor and video card settings do you have?

More tests reveal some bright spots on left center edge, top center edge, and left center edge on a black screen. Not a guru so not sure how to judge how bad it is.

Yah me too. I felt the same way to. Coming from a 22" TN, 24" S-PVA monitor, I wasn't expecting this Hanns 28" to be good. But, based on numerous positive user reviews on this monitor, I bought it just to find out for myself. It really does deliver. It certainly was better than my Westinghouse 22" Games such as UT3, Crysis, COD4, Stalker and GOW looks very good. Image is crisp and saturated. Overall, very good for a TN panel.

I decided to go to BB and check this 28" out. I was very skeptical that this monitor would fill the gap between my current Dell 24" and my friends 3007 which is beautiful, but I find it difficult to read text on the 30" at the 2560 resolution. Text at lower res on a 30" looks like crap and using accessibility wizard for larger text provides mixed results.

Any, BB had a Hanns-G HG281DJ on the shelf (none in box) with a 10% discount for a price of $500. I decided I'd bring it home to test out and figured I could return it and order one in a box later if I liked it.

Boy am I surprised! This thing looks much better than I expected. The text are just the right size and very crisp. I haven’t had a chance to try many games yet but WoW looked pretty good with no signs of lag or tear. It's definitely an improvement over my Dell 24", so I’m crossing my fingers that I'll still feel this the perfect compromise for 50% MS Office work/ 50% gaming after a few more days of experience

Questions for the OP….is the model you mentioned a newer version of the HG281D? I cant find it anywhere on the web or at BB online. Should I return this one and get the newer model?

Also, what monitor and video card settings do you have?

Lance, I just returned the 281 for the 289 (Thanks OP for the heads-up). The screens are vitually identical except for 1 major difference noted in Post#17. Run the test I linked there and let me know if your results are the same as I posted. For me it was enough to return the old for the new.

How are the view angles? Would this be suitable for watching DVDs on in a bedroom with multiple people? Would the IQ look really bad coming from a 2005fpw? I'd really appreciate any info.

Lance, I just returned the 281 for the 289 (Thanks OP for the heads-up). The screens are vitually identical except for 1 major difference noted in Post#17. Run the test I linked there and let me know if your results are the same as I posted. For me it was enough to return the old for the new.

Isnt that test more of a set-up guide? I thought it was to help you set contrast/brightness/gama. I'm able to set mine up to see the squares by adjusting contrast.

Have you seen any spec differences?

and where did you see the 289? I can't find it anywhere on the net.

289H is really the way to go if you are set to buy a 28", also some sales guy think this is a high price item for them, so dont be scared to pull out the 12% RZ coupons or 10% movers coupon from USPS, they might just bite...worst case say no to it and then move on to another sales guy, that's what i did when I got shut down the first time (funny thing is I talked to another guy on the same dept. he said yes on the coupon, but the guy was too busy to ring me up, but gave me a 10% discount anyway and ask the guy that shut me down to give me 10% off and both of them are not a mgr or supvisor)

just a reminder the display on the floor is the old one (95%) the one i picked up was the (289H) only one in the store (irvine calif.) so they dont have any display yet...

How are the view angles? Would this be suitable for watching DVDs on in a bedroom with multiple people? Would the IQ look really bad coming from a 2005fpw? I'd really appreciate any info.

Not great angles. Good for straight on gaming and work.

also I have a HDMI switcher I used this for PS3, CATV and PC. My old one when I turn off the CATV/PC/PS3 the monitor would have a "check cable no signal" and then it would shut-off / standby mode. This one it wont shut-off but black screen and a "check cable no signal" every 2-3 min. anybody has this issue?Thanks....

One day more with this thing and I am really starting to believe this is the perfect size for people who want a monitor for 50% MS Office work / 50% gaming. The 1920 resolution + size is GREAT!

I'm a bit concerned for its handling of the darks, and for those 3 light spots in the left, right, and top center edges. Anyone have comments on this?

And Im still looking forward to hearing where that HF289 model can be seen.

^^ with any luck should be available at your local bestbuy but i warn you they are still scarce as they are trying to flush out the old ones..

isee, what are your monitor and graphic card settings for Brightness/Contrast/Gamma settings?

I grabbed one of these on Saturday. Went into BB expecting to buy the Hanns-G for $550 but they were advertising the "Hanspree" 28" for $550 ... but the sale plaque had the model number for the Hanns-G. So, I just had to bargain with them to get the one I wanted.

After some discussion, the clueless clerk scanned the Hanspree model and told me it was $599 and it appeared to be the only one in stock. He told me he wouldn't be able to give it to me for $550 because it was an updated version of the Hanns-G, and that was the one on sale ... they had several Hanns-G models in stock.

I was able to get the manager to come over .... they whispered to one another for a minute. When he came over to me to ask what the problem was, I told him that they were mis-advertising the sale and I wanted the Hannspree for $550. they both insisted that Hanns-G was a model name, and Hanspree was the company that makes them - when the boxes clearly say "Hannstar Corp."

After about 15 minutes of arguing semantics with them about all the Hanns' names, they finally gave me the Hanspree version for $550. If they're so worried about the $50, then they should take more care not to mislabel their sale items.

In any event, I'm loving this thing so far. It's very bright and dwarfs my dual 22s. Color is much more even than on the 22s and there is far less backlight bleed. Will try to post pics sometime tomorrow after work if I can.

lesson learned that way too before... now I always ask discount on the sales guy that works in that department they can usually ring you up in there anyway and overwrite for a discount, also start from the bottom of the ranks when asking for discounts or price adjustment..

Isnt that test more of a set-up guide? I thought it was to help you set contrast/brightness/gama. I'm able to set mine up to see the squares by adjusting contrast.

Have you seen any spec differences?

and where did you see the 289? I can't find it anywhere on the net.

Yes, the test is to help set-up, but the 281 just ...well... sucked for dark tones. You could adjust for it somewhat, but you could never get it just right. I also want to point out that if looked from the sides you could see the different squares, however looking straight is where the difference between the 281 & 289 really stand apart.

The 2 I compared side by side where definately different in the dark grays/blacks. Otherwise in lights and midtones you couldn't tell the 2 apart.

289 at Best Buy....big neon green & white box.

I am having some reservations about it though... I'm really missing the fixed aspect ratio, which this monitor does not do when hooked up with the DVI>HDMI cable. If it did it would be the perfect monitor.

I just bought the HF229H 22" from bestbuy.

Has 1 deadpixel. Bleeds pretty good on the bottom

Seems pretty nice. Xbox360 won't run in 1280x768 cannot get it to fill the screen at all. 1920x1080 or 1280x1024 is all that really works. What causes that? auto-adjust wont fix it.

Going to take it back.

Just to let everyone know that this monitor is now up on Best Buy's website. Interestingly, it's price (579.99) is somewhat lower than the older H281 unit (599.99)...:D

If you order through the BB website and receive a defective unit, can you simply exchange it at a local BB store?

Picked one up also in the POrtland, OR metro area. None of the stores had them in stock except for one store (luckily near my work). Thewy are definitely flushing the old ones out.
I actually got lucky as I returned the 281 to the store I purchased it and they had only TWO monitors in the that section. I talked to a manager and he said they were getting a whole new shipment of newer monitors. He overrode the return policy (I was a week over anyways, but I had been out of town), and I waited a couple weeks. Sure enough, not advertised, but there was the new 289. Like the 281, slightly different styling, dimmer blue led light, way better menu, way more connections (something I sorely missed from the 24" Gateway 2400HD). I had to massage a stuck pixel, but that took 5 seconds to revive. A stuck one appeared right after that and can't get it out, but it's out of the way on the right upper corner, and if I can't get a program to loosen it up, then I have an excuse to return it for a new one...definitely not a deal breaker...light bleed minimal and not nearly as abd as a 2400HD.

My local BB only had a display model and nothing in stock so I ended up ordering through BB's website. Here's hoping it's not back ordered.

I just check and notice the resolution is 1900 x 1080?

If i am correct doesn't it make it more of an lcd tv than a monitor.

Back