For members who like, and are still looking at buying a 9800 GX2!

TalonMan

[H]ard|Gawd
Me and my 8600 GT will be parting ways soon, and won't be waiting on the G100/200. I don't believe in the mid year release of the G100. I think it will be at the end of the year if we are lucky. I just am not willing to wait that long...

I have a Maximus SE that doesn't support SLI. I love the idea of the GX2 and the speed increase it should offer me over my 8600 GT. I do have some consirnes that it may have some SLI issues, but am an optimist, and believe Nvidia will not drop the ball this time around. I think there are more running SLI now, more than ever. I don't see many posts of guy's that actually are currently running an SLI setup, and complaining about it. I am aware it isn't nearly as efficient as it could be. I also enjoy the idea of looking for speed increases, as new improvements get made to the drivers. My money says that nVidia has their best and brightest working on that very issue.

I have heard the card might cost around $679.00 retail. Am I happy about it... No. Will I be willing to pay that much, yes. I have never owned a super fast GPU. The 8600 GT is currently the fastest card I have ever owned. I just completed my first ever build using a Q6600, and have the CPU and NB cooled by water. I had my heart set on getting the fastest GPU out at the time when I was ready to buy. I have drooled at the Ultra for a loooong time now, but don't want to buy an 18 month old card just due to principle. I don't have anything against the Ultra, but wanted the new king no matter how much faster it was, over the Ultra. I think the reported 30% minimum speed increase over the Ultra will be met. Sure I wish it took the same huge leap over the other cards, like the 8800 GTX did, but I realize that this will not happin this time around. I think the GX2 will be king until the end of the year, or early 2009.

I also favor the OC cards, and buy into the thinking that not all GPU's like CPU's, can OC the same. The OC GPU's are as close to a Cherry Picked card as us commoners can get. I also think that there is actually a testing process that takes the cards that wouldn't take the OC, and sets them back down to stock speed. That is the one I don't want. The OC'ed cards also might have better cooling installed. I like that allot! :)
You also dont have to mess with Rivatuner making me hit accept twice on boot-up with Vista Ultimate, to allow my OC to engage. I would rather just have the card set to run about as fast as it can.

I will wait for a review or two to be posted, I am not in that much of a hurry to spend $700 bucks. Baring any searous problems, and counting on it being faster than an Ultra, I will be jumping in. I could save 100 bucks mabey getting another speed deamon single card, but believe I would be happier with the GX2 and my 24" monitor.

You can't blame a guy for wanting the fastes GPU for once in his life.....

So who is thinking they also will probably be getting a GX2 besides me? :)

Please no negitive GX2 posts, there are plenty of other threads you could voyce your opinion... I am looking for other positive GX2 members who actually think they will be getting this card too. ;)

Hmm... something positive about the GX2...

I guess its rather large and intimidating looking and could be used as a weapon in a pinch.

Thanks for doing exactly what I asked you not to do and crapping on my thread. :mad:

Your not even considering buying one either....

Please read the OP closer next time.

I have a MSI 8800 Ultra at the moment, and I currently have these modern games

STALKER
Call of Duty 4
UT3
HL2: All
TimeShift
Kane & Lynch
DiRT
Crysis
Sega Rally Revo
Lost Planet
Bioshock
Gears of War
Call of Juarez
Crysis

Only the last two don’t run well at maximum or very close to max settings at 1920x1200. So it really depends on what the 9800GX2 has to offer in terms of Crysis performance and perhaps power usage.

At $670, if the 9800GX2 is only giving 30% over the 8800 Ultra on average, I’ll probably pass, especially if I have to disable SLI for dual monitors and other desktop issues I have had with SLI in my 7950GX2 days.

We should know soon enough.

Thanks for doing exactly what I asked you not to do and crapping on my thread. :mad:

Your not even considering buying one either....

Please read the OP closer next time.

On the contrary, I am currently in the middle of a new build and if the GX2 gives $700 worth of performance, then I may buy it. I was making a joke, so you sir can lighten up.

Hmm... something positive about the GX2...

I guess its rather large and intimidating looking and could be used as a weapon in a pinch.

When you ask children not to do something, its the first thing they do!:p Dr.Fill

I have a MSI 8800 Ultra at the moment, and I currently have these modern games

STALKER
Call of Duty 4
UT3
HL2: All
TimeShift
Kane & Lynch
DiRT
Crysis
Sega Rally Revo
Lost Planet
Bioshock
Gears of War
Call of Juarez
Crysis

Only the last two don’t run well at maximum or very close to max settings at 1920x1200. So it really depends on what the 9800GX2 has to offer in terms of Crysis performance and perhaps power usage.

At $670, if the 9800GX2 is only giving 30% over the 8800 Ultra on average, I’ll probably pass, especially if I have to disable SLI for dual monitors and other desktop issues I have had with SLI in my 7950GX2 days.

We should know soon enough.

With already having an Ultra, I can see your position won't be nearly as clear as mine with my 8600 GT. I myself won't have that tough of a decission to make. ;)

I got a 24" monitor awaiting to be delivered! I don't think my single 8800gt is gonna like 1900x1200 res. However, I think that that much money is definately a waste, but I may pick one up after they reach atleast msrp.

That is if, it is more bang for your buck then buying:
a sli compatible psu
sli motherboard
and another 8800gt

I just want to mention something that I am pretty sure was mentioned in the other thread....

I don't see why the price is such a big deal. If the 9800 GX2 is basically 2 8800GTSs the prices work out to be just about the same. 8800GTSs are going for about $300 without rebates and with the 9800GX2 looking to cost around $600 I don't see why that is a problem. Even if it costs $650 you still have the bonus of the 9800 GX2 only taking up one PCI-E slot.

The price seems right to me as long as it performs as well or better than 2 8800GTSs in sli.

I just want to mention something that I am pretty sure was mentioned in the other thread....

I don't see why the price is such a big deal. If the 9800 GX2 is basically 2 8800GTSs the prices work out to be just about the same. 8800GTSs are going for about $300 without rebates and with the 9800GX2 looking to cost around $600 I don't see why that is a problem. Even if it costs $650 you still have the bonus of the 9800 GX2 only taking up one PCI-E slot.

The price seems right to me as long as it performs as well or better than 2 8800GTSs in sli.

The price isn't so much the problem. It's the performance delta that wouldn’t be worth it to people with 8800 GTX/Ultra’s especially if a new high end is coming at the end of the year, and with only one or two games (Crysis) being an issue in terms of performance anyway.

We shall see soon!

I'm THINKING ABOUT IT... but only if we get a good waterblock that's not ~200$...

Man, I'd sure like to double my graphics power!

My sources say:

9800 GX2 - 3rd Week of March

9800 GTX - last Week of March

9500 GT - April / May

More to come.

I'm THINKING ABOUT IT... but only if we get a good waterblock that's not ~200$...

Man, I'd sure like to double my graphics power!
I am looking for some searous techno shock myself over my 8600 GT. I have to believe from my perspective I will get that. I am not sure what % speed increase the GX2 wiil have over my current card, but it should be sbustantial... :cool:

I will be getting one but only if the performance is reasonably better than my 8800GTX, I don't mind spending good money on my hobby but I won't throw it away needlessly either. Now, what constitutes reasonably better, is another story and something I will have to judge once the benchmarks start rolling in.

I respect that.... ;)

I think we are all hoping for the best on the speed of the card.

The determining factor for me are benchmarks and how much the card costs.

This card is starting to seem like an ugly girl that no one wants but as soon as someone gets with her, she's amazing (if you get my drift). ;)

Not to crap on the parade or anything, but for $240 you can get a lightly OCed G92-8800GTS. $240*2=$480. $680-$480=$200. The cost of the 9800GX2 vs. the cost of two G92-8800GTS's is basically the price of an nVidia mobo.

The determining factor for me are benchmarks and how much the card costs.

This card is starting to seem like an ugly girl that no one wants but as soon as someone gets with her, she's amazing (if you get my drift). ;)

I do, and think that allot of current non-GX2 fans will change their opinion down the line as benchmarks come out. I am intreasted in the [H] review to see the real world frame reates the card will be able to hit in games. The 3DMark06 scores may be lower than we would like to see, but that is just fluf anyways, and want to see what actually happens then the rubber meets the road. I hope she is a runner!

Not to crap on the parade or anything, but for $240 you can get a lightly OCed G92-8800GTS. $240*2=$480. $680-$480=$200. The cost of the 9800GX2 vs. the cost of two G92-8800GTS's is basically the price of an nVidia mobo.

Yes, You do have a valid point. I would not try to make the case that this is the best bang for the buck, but did want the single fastest GPU I could get for once in my life...

I can't run SLI either. (On 2 GPU's)

For me it would be the speed of (1) G92 8800 GTS -vs- the speed of the GX2.
I am not ready to sell my Maximus yet. ;)

TalonMan, I fully understand you wanting the fastest card for once.

I did that with my 8800GTX last September. And boy am I happy about it. It makes no $$$ sense, but you know what? If you can afford to splurge a bit in your hobby I say go for it. (BTW, I do know the Ultra was faster).

So, I will be watching for you to post some benchies once you get this board.

If 9800GX2 is faster (or close) than SLIed 8800GTX I will probably get one. If not, I will probably get another 8800GTX and SLI them. They are now going for $350 bucks AR and with a game included ;).

Thanks buddy! :)

If I do snag one of these cards, you can count on some benchmarks being posted.

But isn´t 512mb video ram to little for graphics whores with a high resolution texture fetish?

Sorry for threadjacking but I also have a new build coming in shortly.

I have the dfi x48 board on preorder and was considering the following:

2 3870x2 in crossxfire
or
1 9800gx2

I know that the 3870x2 will cost me about $150 more on top of the 9800gx2 but is the performance difference worth it? It is not an nvidia chipset so sli is out of the question.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Hello TalonMan

I'm the one that will on 90% buy one but I'm waiting for 18. of march and see the benchmarks that will start to roll over the internet. But i have to say, it won't be such a huge step.... I do have 8800GTX on stock speeds now.

My current system:

c2d e6850
Gigabyte P35-DS4
4 GB of 800MHz RAM
Asus 8800GTX
Thermaltake Armor Jr. BWS

My plans are:

c2d E8500
Gigabyte EX38-DS4
MSI NX9800GX2 - overclocked version
4 GB of 1066 MHZ RAM
Thermaltake XASER VI 4000SWA
And as a bonus... Creative X-FI extreme gamer fataliti pro ( I'm on onboard sound atm.)

All the upgrade will be made just for one reason - Age of Conan:Hyborian Adventures;)

Wait until May when the much faster next ATI/AMD card is out. The first real next gen card, said to be clocked at 1050 mhz+ and so forth.

http://bbs.chiphell.com/viewthread.php?tid=14737&extra=page=1

If you buy a 9800GX2, you'll be nothing but sorry in a few weeks as you see your $650 card get dusted. Besides, X2 cards are never a good idea, they're always very inneficient. Buy a $200 8800GT to tide you over if you must.

I might pick up an EVGA 9800Gx2 later during april or when it is out and since MSI OC 9800Gx2 is 532Euro 9800Gx2 is not that expensive i first thougt it would be.
GT200 is now rumored june so step-up seems just about perfect there and worth a longshot if 9800Gx2 is good in real life, the game 3dmark cant i care less about than i do so ATI may score high there but as usual fall to the ground when it counts.
I dont trust ATI for one second after the R600 scam/hype they build up for nothing that R700 will be something that kicks ass, only kicks 3870X2 not GT200. OK it might kick ass in the popular game 3Dmark, but not in real life so depending on how it performs i might just get me a 9800Gx2 before GT200.

Suit yourself :)

Please do spend $650 on that awesome Nvidia exclusive 9800GX2. Buy two! You'll be thrilled for weeks! I recommend you buy 4 actually.

That would be stupid because new cards are coming in June. Maybe even one from your precious Nvidia (though I doubt it).

If you buy a 9800GX2, you'll be nothing but sorry in a few weeks as you see your $650 card get dusted. Besides, X2 cards are never a good idea, they're always very inneficient. Buy a $200 8800GT to tide you over if you must.

I'm in the same boat where I'm building a new PC in approx a week or two. So far its the graphics card I'm stuck on. I've considered the GX2 as an option for sure as it will be the fastest on the market although I also don't think I'll bite as I think the cards comming out mid year with a new architecture should smoke them somewhat. As such I'm kinda looking at a cheap 8800GTS or GTX as a more likely candidate to tide me over. (perhaps the GT but I'm unsure if itll cope as well at 1900x1200 or just bellow that res which makes the GTS a bit better option for me at about $50 - $80 more)

If I did go anything more expensive (which I still may), such as the GX2, then I'd probably keep it a bit longer as opposed to offloading it in 6 months time like I will a GTS or GTX.

Thats where I am anyway. But if you want the best card now and want a single card, GX2 will be your best bet I say otherwise I'd likely look at just SLI'ng two cheaper cards.

Nvdia's Track Record with GX2's hasn't been the Greatest. I'm not Flameing you for your choice, so hear me out first. It's for that reason, I went with the 9600GT for the short term. "IF", and when The GX2 turns out to be faster, I also would consider it, but would most likely wait for the 9800 GTX, just because I am not a Fan of Dual Cards(Though ATI's Solution of Joining them together may Ultimately prove the better solution) mated together, it still is a recipe for Disaster, with heat being a major concern

Wait until May when the much faster next ATI/AMD card is out. The first real next gen card, said to be clocked at 1050 mhz+ and so forth.

Much faster than what?
The 2900XT? :rolleyes:

We know nothing about preformance, so don't talk like we do.

Ontopic:
I would never touch a xxxxX2 card from NVIDIA, I don't like to get the bugs from SLI....1 GPU to rule tham all, not this multi-GPU-ops-there-is-a-bug-in-game-x-crap on my PC.

I am looking for some searous techno shock myself over my 8800 GT. I have to believe from my perspective I will get that.

I don't think you are going to get that much improvement, just MHO.... You are better off ditching your motherboard if you want to stick with NV.

Suit yourself :)

Please do spend $650 on that awesome Nvidia exclusive 9800GX2. Buy two! You'll be thrilled for weeks! I recommend you buy 4 actually.

That would be stupid because new cards are coming in June. Maybe even one from your precious Nvidia (though I doubt it).
I dont trust ATI like you do after the R600 scam they pulled. I belive GT200 will be the best of the new cards and RV770 just a modern version of HD2900XT, a hype that once again after delays fails when it comes to what counts, ATI missjudged what games uses and was betting on the wrong horses in 2900/3870-series so what says that they dont make the same misstake all over again?
But IF ATI CAN deliver pure performance in games in 1920x1200+ with AA/AF AND be able to get good driver i might reconsider but ATI:s track record is not the best on this part when it comes to AA/AF and i dont think they ever will getting a luckyshot like1950XTX again when AMD calling the shots and a midrangecard generates more money than a highend card and money is what AMD needs plenty of.
ATI cards are only good in the popular game of 3dmark, a game i rarely play so i cant care less about it.
9800Gx2 is not 650, its 530-600 for an MSI OC and in my book an EVGA 9800Gx2 within 90 days before GT200 is not stupid, its only not justifyed economicly if you care about that witch i dont since i have "some" cash left over for this beast and have planed for a new GFX some time now.
I dont care what brand my next GFX is, green or red the only thing that counts in my book is pure performance like 8800GTX/Ultra has so "precious" or not Nvidia has delivered with 8800 GTX/Ultra what ATI has failed to do with 2900/3870(X2) and ATI needs 2 GPU to do what Nvidia can do with only one or not even that.

I am a little sheepish on ATI too. The [H] review of the BFGTech GeForce 9600 GT OC showed that the HD3870 was slower in actual game performance:

Perfromance on Call of Duty4 at 1920 X 1200. (My favorite res too!)

----------- Stream ---------Max
-- GPU ---- Processors ---- FPS

9600GT ------- 64 ------------- 120
HD 3850 ---- 320 ------------- 115
HD 3870 ---- 320 ------------- 111
8800GT ----- 112 ------------- 108

Also note on Crysis, looking at the minimum FPS at 1280 X 1024.

----------- Stream ---------Min

9600GT ------- 64 -------------- 14
8800GT ----- 112 -------------- 14
HD 3870 ---- 320 -------------- 10
HD 3850 ---- 320 ---------------- 9

Ref link: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ2Niw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I could be wrong, but it also appears to me more [H] members are having issues with the ATI drivers, than members with nVidia drivers...
Ref link: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276241

I have also heard that Crossfire is haveing some issues also...
Posted symptoms: On HDTV, and all 3D programs run at about 15 FPS all the time! Seems like the card corrects the FPS to 15 under load and even pulls it back when it goes over. 3DMark06 shows same behavior, all FPS scores are at 15! Turn Crossfire off, and all symptoms go away.

Some 3870's are having some heat issues too: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1281990

Do I think nVidia will be problem free, probably not but am guessing will be better than the ATI drivers. As shown above, I think nVidia still has the performance edge too... :)

Why don't you just buy two 8800GTS 512MBs in SLI (or heck , two 1GB versions would be cheaper than a 9800GX2) ? I don't understand.

I don't think you are going to get that much improvement, just MHO.... You are better off ditching your motherboard if you want to stick with NV.

opps .. typo. I had 8800GT. I have a 256MB 8600 GT. I hope the GX2 smokes it!! I would be disappointed if it didn't.

I am keeping my motherboard. I am a one card GPU guy, so I don't consider running an INTEL mobo a strike of any kind. ;)

Why don't you just buy two 8800GTS 512MBs in SLI (or heck , two 1GB versions would be cheaper than a 9800GX2) ? I don't understand.

INTEL mobo's don't support SLI. You can only run 1 nVidia GPU. The magic that the GX2 brings me, is the option of an internal GPU SLI situaction. The INTEL mobo's wont't care, and will run the GX2 fine... :D

My Maximus SE is an INTEL based mobo.

Hello TalonMan

I'm the one that will on 90% buy one but I'm waiting for 18. of march and see the benchmarks that will start to roll over the internet. But i have to say, it won't be such a huge step.... I do have 8800GTX on stock speeds now.

My current system:

c2d e6850
Gigabyte P35-DS4
4 GB of 800MHz RAM
Asus 8800GTX
Thermaltake Armor Jr. BWS

My plans are:

c2d E8500
Gigabyte EX38-DS4
MSI NX9800GX2 - overclocked version
4 GB of 1066 MHZ RAM
Thermaltake XASER VI 4000SWA
And as a bonus... Creative X-FI extreme gamer fataliti pro ( I'm on onboard sound atm.)

All the upgrade will be made just for one reason - Age of Conan:Hyborian Adventures;)

Looks like a sweet build.. I hope you get one too Papagaj!! If you do make sure to keep me posted. We could talk some GX2 and see how much speed we can get out of er!

I am a little sheepish on ATI too. The [H] review of the BFGTech GeForce 9600 GT OC showed that the HD3870 was slower in actual game performance:

Perfromance on Call of Duty4 at 1920 X 1200. (My favorite res too!)

----------- Stream ---------Max

9600GT ------- 64 ------------- 120
HD 3850 ---- 320 ------------- 115
HD 3870 ---- 320 ------------- 111
8800GT ----- 112 ------------- 108

Just a question- why bother including the max FPS's of the 8800GT and the HD 3850 when they're both running with different settings (the 8800GT w/2xTR MSAA and the HD 3850 with only High texture settings- which actually affects model quality as well because of its impact on normal and specular maps)? Also, why just pull the max FPS? The 9600GT still maintains a clear advantage in box min and avg FPS, and both of those matter a lot more than the max FPS.

Back