BB Frozen? Reheat Gateway P-171X FX $1699

DrakonSan

Limp Gawd
Got iced on the BestBuy P6831 FX deal? Looked good but didn't want to void your warranty with the CPU upgrade? Here's a reheat on an upgraded version of that laptop!

Consider: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667906.php

Preserve your warranty, and get a 1080p capable screen with the Penryn T8300 processor for the same price as the original BestBuy deal + processor upgrade. Contact the Gateway Representative below to get the above laptop with minimal bloatware for $1699. He also offers free shipping or half-price extended warranties.

Mine is set to arrive 3/11.

Rico Baeza "the Suave"
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm CST
Phone: 800.846.2042 Ext 23600
Fax: 605.232.1925
[email protected]

How the hell did you get all that for so low?

I'm only seeing the crappy model below for $1599

Smaller screen and 2.0 ghz cpu.

Edit: JOKE REMOVED

Actually, you'll notice that the arrival date is a month away. According to Rico "the Suave," this delay is what makes the massive discount possible. I imagine that as you get closer to what would be a normal ship time (1-2 weeks) from the expected arrival date, the discount will be less justifiable, and the deal will be reduced/go away.

Edit to your edit:

Ensure you're looking at the P-171X FX. The standard base price is $1999.99

2.0GHz is way faster than the 1.66 or whatever that the BBY one was....

I used blackmail from a chat session, MWA HA HA! :D

Actually, you'll notice that the arrival date is a month away. According to Rico "the Suave," this delay is what makes the massive discount possible. I imagine that as you get closer to what would be a normal ship time (1-2 weeks) from the expected arrival date, the discount will be less justifiable, and the deal will be reduced/go away.

wtf? This is not a hot deal then..

I guess, I wish I could find a model with a 1920*1200 wuxga screen, the p965 chipset, 1.5ghz core 2, and 512 megs of ram, all with the 8800GTS...

for like $1100

Screen is a killer for some people I know who's interested.

They'd upgrade the other crap themselves.

why can't you change cpu? jsut keep it and replace it back for service? there is no seal on the socket to break. jsut hold onto the chip and OG parts and return to origional condition before reutning for service. there is no seal to break on anything in the machine so unless you ebay or lose the origional parts what is the biggie?

wtf? This is not a hot deal then..
Comparing Alienware's m15x with Gateway's XFX:
Dell/Alienware | Gateway
15.4" Glossy WUXGA < 17" Glossy WUXGA
512MB 8800M GTX > 512MB 8800 GTS
T7700 2.4GHz (Merom) < T8300 2.4GHz (Penryn)
4GB DDR2 @ 677MHz > 3GB DDR2 @ 667MHz
200GB @ 7200rpm 16mb ? 250GB @ 5400rpm 8mb
$3,249.00 < $1699

I'd say it's pretty hot.

I guess, I wish I could find a model with a 1920*1200 wuxga screen, the p965 chipset, 1.5ghz core 2, and 512 megs of ram, all with the 8800GTS...

for like $1100

The real selling point with this is that you get the upgraded screen and processor without voiding your warranty. Good if you live by Murphy's law. If you don't care about either of these and are comfortable upgrading the processor yourself, then, of course, the original BB deal last week to get the stripped down version for $1250 is better. Maybe even the non-sale price at $1350 could be argued for.

why can't you change cpu? jsut keep it and replace it back for service? there is no seal on the socket to break. jsut hold onto the chip and OG parts and return to origional condition before reutning for service. there is no seal to break on anything in the machine so unless you ebay or lose the origional parts what is the biggie?

The BB price is now $1700 for a stripped down version. Upgrading the CPU to a T9300 penryn will put the price over that of the XFX and you'll still have a smaller resolution screen.

I'd say it's pretty hot.

I always seen "hot deals" as those that are good and available to all without having to 'black mail the products company to get a discount'.

If there was an instant rebate coupon of some sort then it would make sense.. but what you say you need to do in order to get the discount makes it not a hot deal as its obviously YMMV.

Unless that gateway representative told you that its ok to let others know to mail him for a discount, it probably isn't.

I always seen "hot deals" as those that are good and available to all without having to 'black mail the products company to get a discount'.

If there was an instant rebate coupon of some sort then it would make sense.. but what you say you need to do in order to get the discount makes it not a hot deal as its obviously YMMV.

Unless that gateway representative told you that its ok to let others know to mail him for a discount, it probably isn't.

The blackmail comment is removed because the internet is seriouse business. It was a joke, hence the following of :D

Rico "the Suave" did indeed authorize the release of his contact information, otherwise I would not have posted it here. I may have a low post count, but I'm not a wanker.

for like $1100

If your buying a gaming laptop the 1920 x 1200 screen stinks in my opinion. The 8800 GTS will in no way run most of the newer games maxed out at that native resolution. My XPS M1730 scores 9000 in 3dmark06 and can't even run COD4 at maximum settings. I need to change the resolution down to 1680 x 1050 and still can't max it out :(

Mac

My XPS M1730 scores 9000 in 3dmark06 and can't even run COD4 at maximum settings. I need to change the resolution down to 1680 x 1050 and still can't max it out :(

Mac

But then again, your M1730 has what?.. a 8700M GT? Theres a significant difference between the 8800M GTS and 8700/8600.

But then again, your M1730 has what?.. a 8700M GT? Theres a significant difference between the 8800M GTS and 8700/8600.

I have 2x 8700m's in SLI. The 8800GTS score around 7200 in the Gateway the 8700's in SLI gain me 2000 more points. I myself would rather have a single 8800 card, The GTX is alot faster then the GTS at around 20+% Faster.

Mac

I have 2x 8700m's in SLI. The 8800GTS score around 7200 in the Gateway the 8700's in SLI gain me 2000 more points. I myself would rather have a single 8800 card, The GTX is alot faster then the GTS at around 20+% Faster.

Mac

It really depends if the games you play make full use of SLI. At best, you get near double performance, and that's great. At worst, there's no increase and a single card is better. I've never had much faith in SLI for this reason, and I agree, synthetic benchmarks aside, I'd prefer to have a single card over SLI...

It really depends if the games you play make full use of SLI. At best, you get near double performance, and that's great. At worst, there's no increase and a single card is better. I've never had much faith in SLI for this reason, and I agree, synthetic benchmarks aside, I'd prefer to have a single card over SLI...

If this was still $1299 I would be in for one.....at $1700 no thanks :(

Mac

If your buying a gaming laptop the 1920 x 1200 screen stinks in my opinion. The 8800 GTS will in no way run most of the newer games maxed out at that native resolution. My XPS M1730 scores 9000 in 3dmark06 and can't even run COD4 at maximum settings. I need to change the resolution down to 1680 x 1050 and still can't max it out

Mac

Good point actually and always worth considering, however many like me will want to hook up to 1080p (1920x1200) TV and from what I have read on 8800 benchmarks with reduced AA or medium detail every game will be playable at this res.
But I think every laptop gamer knows that they are will have to comprimise to some degree. This deal represents a very very good comprimise!

I will let you know when I get mine.

Mac

It was never 1299, the FX is actually listed at $2000!
Check out the review on cnet and perhaps you might reconsider that opinion.

even if you could now you won't later. in 6 months the next wave of games will make it practically impossible to run 1900 x 1200.

now I do like the higher contrast ratio and the bigger desktop.

correct me if I am wrong but if you hook up to HDMI on HDTV can't you run the res at what you want on that monitor regardless? as long as it supports it?

even though the laptop screen does 1440 x 1900 i should be able to run my HDTV res at 1900 x 1080 and make that my primary display. shouldn't I?

correct me if I am wrong but if you hook up to HDMI on HDTV can't you run the res at what you want on that monitor regardless? as long as it supports it?

even though the laptop screen does 1440 x 1900 i should be able to run my HDTV res at 1900 x 1080 and make that my primary display. shouldn't I?

Correct. That's what I'm doing with my current laptop. Limited to 1400x900 on my 17" screen but using my external display (Westinghouse) as my main monitor (1920x1200). :)

even if you could now you won't later. in 6 months the next wave of games will make it practically impossible to run 1900 x 1200.

yes but this is has been true since I saved up for a DX2 66Mhz!

The question here is "does this represent good value for money", not "can I play any game that comes out for the next year at full res", if thats what your asking go buy a desktop.

I have been comparing a lot of laptops and believe me the package is great, I paid less than for an Asus g2s and that has a poxy 8600! :D

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8617721&st=g2s&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1192835691910

yes you are correct thats true. personally I prefer the higher res displays, I was using 1600x1200 about 5 years ago on a dell laptop and have never gone back, plus I like to play FSX where high res is as important as fancy gfx features :)

What do you guys think about the 8800GTS in there being a soldered product?

I would have preferred they kept the hard drive as a 200 gig 7200 RPM and gave you the option between the T8300 and T9300 also.

Would have also preferred the memory be 4 gigs to give an effective 3 gigs of dual channel instead of the two (although I am sure that isn't making a huge difference).

Slot load DVD for the P171X-FX was a nice update from the BB 6831FX version.

There are actually quite a few reps who can get this for 1599 plus tax for you.

Mac

I picked one up last week for $1199 plus a free game :) Great laptop for the price but the viewing angle on the screen is somewhat dissapointing and the Gloss lack looks cool but scratches very easily and is a fingerprint magnet and then some !

Mac

Back