DVI Refresh Rate?

Zake202

Gawd
I have a 19" Hyundai L90D+ LCD monitor.

Link for it here:
http://www.hyundaiq.com/pro_l90d+.asp#

I recently got a DVI cable for it, and I'm wondering if I should be running 75Hz Refresh Rate or 60Hz?

I run at 1280X1024 resolution, which is native for this monitor.

From my understanding, using a DVI cable on an LCD won't get you 75Hz even if it supports it. That it will drop down to 60 no matter what it is set at. Is that correct?

It seems only analog will run at 75Hz?

Anyway, any clarification or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yep, LCDs are 60hz only. Which is alright as they do not function or refresh like a CRT does. There is no point or way for it to actually use 75hz.

Some LCD monitors can support 75 Hz properly. The only way to know for sure is to try it. If motion becomes smoother and the monitor reports 75 Hz, then it's working properly. If motion becomes jittery, then it's skipping every 5th frame, in which case you'd want to use 60 Hz. You should be able to tell the difference just by moving the mouse cursor or moving windows around. If you can't, just leave it at 60 Hz to be safe.

Dainas said:
Yep, LCDs are 60hz only. Which is alright as they do not function or refresh like a CRT does. There is no point or way for it to actually use 75hz.
None of this is true. Where are you getting your information from?

None of this is true. Where are you getting your information from?

From what everbody says everytime some dope wants to know why they can't set their LCD to 85hz to reduce 'eye strain' :eek: Besides what is not true? And besides why would I even care since nothing you can say has any application in practice. LCD do not refresh their image like a CRT does.

They're not 60 Hz only. Some can run at higher refresh rates, and they refresh from top to bottom at the refresh rate just like a CRT. The only difference is the image is always on and doesn't fade between refreshes, so there's no flicker.

A higher refresh rate is beneficial for gaming, especially with vsync enabled. The refresh rate affects motion smoothness. There's a reason why 120 Hz HDTVs are coming out. The difference is noticeable.

They're not 60 Hz only. Some can run at higher refresh rates, and they refresh from top to bottom at the refresh rate just like a CRT. The only difference is the image is always on and doesn't fade between refreshes, so there's no flicker.

A higher refresh rate is beneficial for gaming, especially with vsync enabled. The refresh rate affects motion smoothness. There's a reason why 120 Hz HDTVs are coming out. The difference is noticeable.

I was under the impression the 120Hz HDTVs simply added duplicate frames since the source is 60Hz. Theres no sort of interpolation going on that I'm aware of, but I've only researched it very briefly.

I tested the 75Hz option I have and it seems even in wow it caps off at 60.

I use Ati Tray tools, and I also noticed in there it says 60Hz max.

My final question is, will I notice any difference between 60Hz and 75Hz when playing WoW?

My FPS usually runs under 60, which makes me think 60hz won't be noticeable.

NKDietrich said:
I was under the impression the 120Hz HDTVs simply added duplicate frames since the source is 60Hz. Theres no sort of interpolation going on that I'm aware of, but I've only researched it very briefly.
There is interpolation. An image processor adds intermediate frames.

Another thing I should mention, for optimum smoothness with movies, the refresh rate should be a multiple of the frame rate. A 24 fps movie would be smoother at 72 Hz than at 60 Hz. A 25 fps PAL movie would be smoother at 75 Hz than at 60 Hz. That's another area where higher refresh rates are beneficial.

Zake202 said:
I tested the 75Hz option I have and it seems even in wow it caps off at 60.
Some games have frame rate caps, in which case having a higher refresh rate won't really benefit you.

In that case, it probably wasn't running at 75 Hz. Check what the monitor reports. You'd probably have to add a custom resolution.

In that case, it probably wasn't running at 75 Hz. Check what the monitor reports. You'd probably have to add a custom resolution.

I'm pretty sure when using Analog my computer can support 75Hz, but under DVI can only support 60Hz.

I didn't have anything customized. Wow and Tray tools both reported 75. *shrugs*

Wrong, i have used 75hz on LCD's with DVI. I actually wouldn't even want to play most games on an LCD unless i could use 75hz. Those extra 15 frames of headroom make a large difference, especially in terms of smoothness with v-sync on and reduced tearing with v-sync off..

There's a very noticeable difference when using 60hz vs 75hz via DVI on an LCD (that can support it). If you turn on vsync than maybe not...but for games such as quake3, warsow, ut99 (all the best multiplayer games of years past really), they really need higher hz and no vysnc to have the game feel as fluid and responsive as possible.

There's a very noticeable difference when using 60hz vs 75hz via DVI on an LCD (that can support it). If you turn on vsync than maybe not...but for games such as quake3, warsow, ut99 (all the best multiplayer games of years past really), they really need higher hz and no vysnc to have the game feel as fluid and responsive as possible.

most games now are internaly capped at 60FPS, DOOM3 engine for example which is used in numerous titles. Also having a higher HZ together with V-SYNC means your average framerate must exceed 75FPS. If it doesnt performance will drop to 37FPS, 18FPS etc...

V-SYNC should be OFF at all times.

I know what vsync does. Notice the games I mentioned aren't internally capped at 60hz. I don't understand why you were replying to me really?

75hz look better than 60hz. It takes 1 minute of moving around in a game to notice the difference.

60Hz and 75Hz on an LCD shouldn't make a difference, unless you aren't getting a steady framerate. Enabling vsync will look smooth at 60, 75, whatever Hz as long as the framerate is synching properly with the refresh rate. With LCD they shouldn't really even call it refresh rate, it more like a query rate, as it only serves to be how many times the LCD repaints the screen. There is nothing to refresh on an LCD because the image doesn't fade to require "refreshing". The only reason CRTs do it is because after the image is painted, it quickly fades and has to be redrawn-- and LCD can sit there and display a frame as long as it's powered on without having to query the frame buffer.

To me, I can see that it's just drawing one frame over the other because it creates a blurring effect that is very visible when compared to CRT due to retinal persistence. Increasing the amount of frames it paints over to 75 wouldn't get rid of that..

The only thing that might be affected by internal refresh rate would be content that has to be scaled up, like 24 or 30 fps film, if it's not evenly divisible then it will have to cut frames and could cause hiccups. Anything else is just the figment of the imagination, seeing as how worst case scenario response time for LCD doesn't even allow for 75 frames per second (13.33ms), no matter what manufacturers claim.

If the lcd can support 75 hz with DVI use it you will notice smoother gameplay on fast games like quake, unreal and source my 22" only supports 60hz on 1600 x 1050 so i have to use 1152 x1080 for 75hz so this games can be played at a high level....

Back