Help me hit 3.6ghz on Q6600 G0

BassKozz

Limp Gawd
I've hit a roadblock and I need help getting over it...
Check out my spreadsheet here or click on the image below to see the screenshot:

I've successfully gone from stock to 3.0ghz w/out even touching the voltages.
and load temps didn't go above 45°c, and then I went to 3.3ghz by only raising the vCore 0.04v, and rasing the DDR2 voltage by 0.1v. And load temps @ 3.3ghz didn't go above 48°c. But now I am having a hellava time getting to 3.6ghz.

I can boot to XP fine at 1.325v, but I can't run Prime95 Small FFTs for 15minutes even at 1.425v. I've even bumped the:
CPU VTT to 1.27v
MCH to 1.29v
ICH to 1.09v
ICHIO to 1.55v

I am afraid to go much higher on the voltage (over 1.425), should I not be?
My box says 1.35v MAX:

What I can't understand is how a simple voltage bump of 0.04v can get me from 3.0ghz to 3.33ghz, but a whole 0.11v can't get me from 3.33ghz to 3.6ghz :confused:
Is there something I am missing here?

Voltage adjustment is not a linear incremental adjustment with clockspeed increase. Sometimes it takes a lot more voltage than you feel comfortable just to get those couple extra Mhz.

Take a look here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1138241

and see that people @ 3.6ghz on a quad are anywhere from 1.32 to 1.58 volts to get stable.

Up the Vcore incrementally and check the temps until you are comfortable.

Your temps seem real low to me (unless you are using something other than air to cool). What temp program are you using to measure your temps? If you are using Speedfan, make sure you add 15 degrees or you are not reading the correct temp....

I'm at 3.2 on a Zalman CPU fan and I see temps up around 59 - 60.

Voltage adjustment is not a linear incremental adjustment with clockspeed increase. Sometimes it takes a lot more voltage than you feel comfortable just to get those couple extra Mhz.

Take a look here:

and see that people @ 3.6ghz on a quad are anywhere from 1.32 to 1.58 volts to get stable.

I agree... you're temps are pretty low.. That, or my temps are pretty high ( but I really just don't care anymore.) Im at 3.2ghz with 1.2875v in bios, and I get around 58/58/55/55 on full load via prime95 stressing all cores. This is with an unlapped cpu and unlapped TRUextreme 120...

Anyhow, to get to 3.6... I had to raise my volts signigicantly. I went up to 1.45v, and it still was not prime stable, so I just stopped trying. My idle and load temps rose signigicantly too. I also had to increase my nb voltage, pci volts, and fsb volts. @ 3.2ghz.. i could just leave those volts at stock...

That being said, you probably have to raise your nb volts some. Also, I forgot where I read this, but its been stated on the intel spec sheets that the max safe volts for a q6600 is around 1.5v, so you should be fine above 1.35v.

Take a look here:

Anyhow, to get to 3.6... I had to raise my volts signigicantly. I went up to 1.45v, and it still was not prime stable, so I just stopped trying. My idle and load temps rose signigicantly too. I also had to increase my nb voltage, pci volts, and fsb volts. @ 3.2ghz.. i could just leave those volts at stock...

That being said, you probably have to raise your nb volts some. Also, I forgot where I read this, but its been stated on the intel spec sheets that the max safe volts for a q6600 is around 1.5v, so you should be fine above 1.35v.
Thanks for the input,
Will keep on pushing the vCore, and I'll report back my findings... ;)
Your temps seem real low to me (unless you are using something other than air to cool). What temp program are you using to measure your temps? If you are using Speedfan, make sure you add 15 degrees or you are not reading the correct temp....

I'm at 3.2 on a Zalman CPU fan and I see temps up around 59 - 60.
I agree... you're temps are pretty low.. That, or my temps are pretty high ( but I really just don't care anymore.) Im at 3.2ghz with 1.2875v in bios, and I get around 58/58/55/55 on full load via prime95 stressing all cores. This is with an unlapped cpu and unlapped TRUextreme 120...
I used CoreTemp and CPUID HW Monitor to measure core temps.
I am using a lapped Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme :D

IDLE:

LOAD:

3.5hrs of Prime95 Blend Test and still holding strong...

Well you got me jealous. Although for temp testing, the blend isn't the best choice. Go with small FFT's. Under blend I wander from low 50's to high 50's. So I'm still jealous of your temps :)

Well you got me jealous. Although for temp testing, the blend isn't the best choice. Go with small FFT's. Under blend I wander from low 50's to high 50's. So I'm still jealous of your temps :)
The load screenshots above is after 15minutes of Prime95 small FFT's, I threw the blend test screenshot in there to prove that it's stable ;)

BTW, I was able to break 3.6ghz :D

IDLE:

LOAD:

But I am not happy with 70c for the PWM, that can't be good...
So I am going to throttle back and try out 380x9 (3.42ghz).

Check out my spreadsheet for the full bios settings, temps, and voltages ;)

Very nice! I assume this is with the Abit IP35-Pro? This is the build I am looking to do, though I don't know that I will get that kind of overclock with 8 GB of OCZ SLI pc-6400 RAM (cost me $110 shipped after rebate - figured what the heck!). It would be nice to get 3.2.

Thanks for the spreadsheet - that will be really handy once I get my MB.

dan

Very nice! I assume this is with the Abit IP35-Pro? This is the build I am looking to do, though I don't know that I will get that kind of overclock with 8 GB of OCZ SLI pc-6400 RAM (cost me $110 shipped after rebate - figured what the heck!). It would be nice to get 3.2.

Thanks for the spreadsheet - that will be really handy once I get my MB.

dan

Yup this is with the "Server Rig" (see sig), using Abit IP35-Pro Rev 1.1 BIOS 14, and I did bolt mod it too... I don't know how much of a difference this made because I didn't preform before/after tests.

Your welcome for the spreadsheet, and good luck :)

Do you happen to have active cooling on your PWM? or did you just do the bolt mod?

I had to run 1.4v to get my q6600 to 3.6ghz, at the moment I have it at 9x334 just because I don't really need it at 3.6ghz and also because I want to do the bolt mod and maybe figure out a better way to cool the PWM.

I can't remember the exact numbers but I remember seeing 80c+ on the PWM at 3.6 with no real cooling on the PWM, but when I installed a small 60mm fan blowing on it the temps were still around 65-70c and up. I could really feel the heat from it being exhausted by my 200mm antec on the top and the 120mm on the back both on the highest speed.

ballistic,

I too had to use 1.4v to hit 3.6ghz, actually the exact voltage was 1.4350v. Nope no fan being used, I just did the bolt mod, althou others have added 30mm or 40mm fans to the PWM and NB Heatsinks, but I didn't want to... I also stepped back to 3.3ghz as I mentioned because the PWM is at a much more reasonable temp 32c and the vCore is also much less 1.3150v, plus I don't think I'd notice or miss the extra 300mhz that much anyways because I am upgrading from a PIII to this :p

Did you lap your heatsink/processor?
Just wondering, because those temps are amazing. Either that or you live inside a freezer!

Back