Corsair 620 PSU is making beep noise

Velocities

Limp Gawd
I put my ear close to this power supply and it emitting a strange low beep noise. It didn't happen before but now it happend every now and then when I'm using my Computer. Anyone have this problem with this power supply? Does it mean it's going bad?

I want to edit and say it not like a Beep sound, but more of a high pitch noise every now and then.

Please help me, it's driving me insane.

Thank You

I put my ear close to this power supply and it emitting a strange low beep noise. It didn't happen before but now it happend every now and then when I'm using my Computer. Anyone have this problem with this power supply? Does it mean it's going bad?

I want to edit and say it not like a Beep sound, but more of a high pitch noise every now and then.

Please help me, it's driving me insane.

Thank You

It's still safe, but you should probably get it RMAd. Contact tech support through http://tsxpress.corsair.com/ and request an RMA for it.

Anyone else have this problem with this particular PSU? I only have 1 PSU, so can't just RMA it yet.

Redbeard is the official Corsair guy, so if he says RMA it then you should. You should ask them if they will cross-ship you the part; they do that on occasion but you'd need to ask them.

Thanks, I may have a faulty PSU. I will go to Corsair forum see if they will do the cross ship since I know it take awhile and I be PCless for couple weeks.

Sounds familiar, I had a Antec that emitted a low volume high pitched beep and RMA'd it. It turned out to be a flaw in all the smartpower 2.0's. I would not worry about getting another Corsair with that problem, as they are wonderful PSU's.

You could buy a cheap PSU at a B&M store to tide you over if a cross ship is not possible. It is always good to have a spare anyway.

I just run 3DMark 06 and it whine like a freakin bitch! I think the sound is both coming from the NVidia 8800 GTS as well as the Corsai, but more like the NVidia Card. There have been a bunch of people getting the high pitch beep from the NVidia 8800 GTS so it may be the Graphic Card itself and not the Power Supply. Can anyone confirm the NVidia 8800 GTS make high pitch beep when under load, like 3D Benchmark?

Thanks!

you could get in on that cooler master 650w pro for 50$ after rebate if you don't have an msi motherboard that would be an easy way to tide you over

I just run 3DMark 06 and it whine like a freakin bitch! I think the sound is both coming from the NVidia 8800 GTS as well as the Corsai, but more like the NVidia Card. There have been a bunch of people getting the high pitch beep from the NVidia 8800 GTS so it may be the Graphic Card itself and not the Power Supply. Can anyone confirm the NVidia 8800 GTS make high pitch beep when under load, like 3D Benchmark?

Thanks!

Not 3Dmark for me. Try ATi tool. It whines a low and high pitch alternativly.

I just try a different Graphic Card NVidia BFG 8600 GT 512MB and it still squeek, so I think it's definitely the Corsair Power Supply. I'm still in the process try to get them to replace another one for me, but I think it's better if I go with a different PSU. Just don't know what's a good one right now.

BTW, can you tell me why ATI Tool is not working for me. Everytime I try the 3D Preview it say "The video card you selected for overcloking in ATITool does not seem to be used by Windows. Virtual testing been disabled. To fix this, go to Display Properties, Settings and enable the monitor output of the card." My display setting is already set to use this Video Card already.

I just try a different Graphic Card NVidia BFG 8600 GT 512MB and it still squeek, so I think it's definitely the Corsair Power Supply. I'm still in the process try to get them to replace another one for me, but I think it's better if I go with a different PSU. Just don't know what's a good one right now.

I know I'm biased in this, but I really think you just got a single bad unit. We've had it happen again, we sell tens of thousands of these units, some of them are bound to be bad. If you decide to go with another brand due to your bad experience, I understand, but please know that the vast majority of Corsair PSUs don't have this issue, in fact, the total number of returns we've seen due to this aren't even close to 1% of total units.

The issue is usually caused by a component inside the PSU, this issue is sometimes called "capacitor whine", and can affect any electronic device that uses capacitors. I'd love for you to give us a chance to fix it by getting you a fully functional unit.

Redbeard, I think it's unfortunate that I have a bad one too, the whine indeed look like it from a compactor inside the PSU. I put my ear very close to it and I hear several buzz and squeak from it. I notice it happens when it draw a lot of power from the PSU during 3DMark06 and 3D Games. I have fill out the RMA form and in a process of getting a replacement. Since it's hard to decide on a good PSU, I will give the Corsair PSU another try. Hope 2nd one won't exhibit this problem.

Thanks again!

Back