Playing with the MSI K9A2 CF

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
First impressions:
The front panel connectors are upside from what is shown in the manual. The stuff is also too small to read. After I figured that out she booted right up, detected ram as ddr800. Straight into windows no issues. I put this sucker together without repairing windows or anything (Cant find my CD) but it booted right up into windows lol instead of the normal blue screen or boot loop. Went from ULI1695 to NF4 to 790X sofar on this windows install with zero repairs or maintanance. The windows gods have shown me grace today.

Pressing Del did not get me into bios. *edit it does get me into bios, just im using an USB mouse and I get an error from lack of PS2 mouse. Makes it harder to get into bios*

Overclocking, first impressions:

3ghz was a breeze. 3100 not happening. I suspect the bios wont let me go over 300HT since past that it just doesnt post while 3000 would post and get into windows (though not 100% stable) at stock vcore. But 3100 wont at any vcore. I would test to see if 301 would crash me but Im tired of moving the clear cmos jumper.

Time to look for a new bios verison.

Edit*
Latest bios 1.20
Tried 300HTx10, stable. 303 = no post
Not a limitation of the chip as with the 10.5 multi, It can post at 3150

Will continue playing with this after I recieve the bracket for my XP90c. My chip requires ~1.5 or so to hit 3ghz and I wont go higher than that on stock cooling.

7600GT. But it doesnt matter now. The mosfetts just fragged when I tried to game with it. Great board there MSI!

Your mobo just died??? Dang man, that sucks! Not the greatest cooling or what?

Over on xtremesystems someone said he had seen a pattern of this. Looks like I should replace it with something else.
Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers tested for this kind of crap before release? Makes me sick knowing they sold me something that didn't work for more than a few hours. Wasnt even priming it or anything, just loaded up wow (~50% cpus usage) and ate some pizza while sitting in town.

For your crispy viewing pleasure.
HPIM0375.JPG

What the.... are those two mosfets like... popped? If that's burned, damn, that is BURNED. Took me a second to find what I was looking at, because at first glance they are nice and rounded, I thought they were capacitors :confused: :eek:

That is dual channel in this board. Manufactuers like to try to mix you up with the colors ;) just have to look in the manual to see what theyve decided dual channel is.

My problem now though is trying to decide between RMAing this and getting a replacement (ClubIT is out of stock) or RMAing it for a refund and buying an Asus M3A. The M3A has a crappier bios, less features, and costs the same... But waiting and possibly getting another toaster motherboard doesnt sound fun either.

With one exception, I have had really good results with MSI, but I didn't really do any overclocking either. You might want to try again.

Back