UPnP port mapping question

vsrdan

Gawd
How safe it is to have UPnP port mapping activated in a router? Are there any better alternatives?

Thanks for advise in advance!

Well, as long as you trust your computers and the software you are running UPnP shouldn't be too bad. The only alternative I really know of is statically opening up ports, or get a router that supports triggered opening of ports.

Well, as long as you trust your computers and the software you are running UPnP shouldn't be too bad. The only alternative I really know of is statically opening up ports, or get a router that supports triggered opening of ports.

What did you mean by "statically opening ports"? Does that mean when a port is opened today will remain open tomorrow - even if the program decided to open a random (another) port?

What did you mean by "statically opening ports"? Does that mean when a port is opened today will remain open tomorrow - even if the program decided to open a random (another) port?

Port mapping, you specify which outside port maps to what port on a specific internal IP address.

Yes, but that's not UPnP (correct?). If UPnP is activated, I don't need to specify port numbers (that's what I have done).

Back