Sapphire HD 3870 Artifacts with Battlefield 2

Ogilvy

2[H]4U
Check out the following two screenshots from the map "Gulf of Oman" in Battlefield 2. Notice the little blips of artifacts in the upper left-hand corner. (These were hard to capture; they appear and disappear very quickly). These artifacts only seem to happen when I am flying high in the sky with a chopper or jet, usually when i'm banking or otherwise maneuvering. These are small examples. They do occur with frequency and can be larger, but usually the artifacts are on the left-side of the screen.

Anyone know what this might be? Drivers? My system?

I have a brand new JonnyGuru top-rated Corsair power supply.....all my other games run fine with the Sapphire HD 3870. (Battlefield 2142 is affected by the blips also, but it's the same engine as BF2).

These screens are from a brand-new card that I received from an RMA of the first card that was doing the exact same thing.

The card was not overclocked. My system is overclocked, but the artifacts occur at stock speeds, also.

I tried moving RAM to different slots, pulling various RAM sticks. Changing BIOS settings, changing drivers. I also tried it in Vista and XP with the same results. You name it....I thought of it.

I would like to know if anyone else with an HD 3870 and plays BF2- Are you experiencing similar artifacts?

Yeah, I get these artifacts with AA on and off. I tried to force it through the Control Center, but BF2 only runs AA with in-game settings.

Ya, I have a Sapphire 3870 and I was noticing that last night as well. I am pretty sure they are having some issues with bf2 right now as well. BF2 freezes up a lot for me as of late with this new card, hopefully they get it fixed with 7.12.

On a side note, don't you play on the CKW 24/7 Oman server?

I'm going to guess that there are some driver issues and will be ironed out in the 7.12's. We will see what happens.

Ya, I have a Sapphire 3870 and I was noticing that last night as well. I am pretty sure they are having some issues with bf2 right now as well. BF2 freezes up a lot for me as of late with this new card, hopefully they get it fixed with 7.12.

On a side note, don't you play on the CKW 24/7 Oman server?

I don't get the freezing, just those annoying little artifacts. They make me think I'm catching something, like an incoming jet or something out of the corner of my eye.

I've played on a lot of servers. I was on the Digital Anarchy server playing some Oman last night.

After I shot down a few of their clan-member "three star noobs", they did what they usually do with me.

They kicked me.

God forbid they actually man-up and try to shoot me down. That's too hard for them. They like raping noobs better.

Oh wells.

I'm going to guess that there are some driver issues and will be ironed out in the 7.12's. We will see what happens.

As far as I know, no one else has complained about it. I guess not too many people who bought HD 3870s play BF2.

I'm not waiting for ATi to fix it. I have yet another 8800 GT coming in shortly.

It's a shame. I only paid 219 for this card and I loved it.

That sucks that your having issues. I can try BF2 with my new 3850 tonight and see if I see the same issues. The 7.12's should be out shortly btw.

That sucks that your having issues. I can try BF2 with my new 3850 tonight and see if I see the same issues. The 7.12's should be out shortly btw.

Yes check it out please. In my experience, the artifacts usually occur when flying. So make sure you whore a jet or a chopper. ;)

Everything is looking good but I will do some more tests.

That's Operation Clean Sweep, though I get artifacts on that one, too. Start a local server with the Gulf of Oman 64-man map and fly around a bit on your own. Use your boost and do a lot of turning and banking and tell me if you see anything...

First time setting up a server, anyways, did exactly has you asked and everything checks out. No anomalies or artifacts.

Has bf2 actually frozen up on you? or is it just artifacting? mine does both...

8800 GT in route. Problem solved. :p

I wish I could keep it. I was just playing some BF2 and the blips were driving me crazy.

Its really weird that you received two cards and both are not functioning correctly, I hope you can get it straighted out.

I just picked up an HD 2900 Pro 512 MB 512-bit from the Egg. OCs easily to XT speeds and beyond and it seems every bit as good as the HD 3870 for 80 bucks cheaper.

And most importantly, I don't get the BF2 artifacts.

I'd say right now for a mere $160, if your power supply can handle it, this is the best bang for your buck out there- including the 8800 GT. I've owned them all in the last month....

Many have complained about the heat and the noise with the HD 2900's. Mine runs 75c at full load, idles at 45c and is no louder than the 3870 or the 8800 GT.

Very pleased with this card....

Back