SETI@HOME Causes Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeyrjmr

[H]ardness Supreme
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-613739.html

According to their web site, SETI@HOME has 2.5 million participants.
That's 2.5 million computers that would otherwise be in low-power sleep.

Assuming (conservatively I think) these machines each pull an extra 25 watts per average hour to do this number crunching, that means SETI@HOME is responsible for consuming on the order of 54,788 MegaWatt Hours (MWh) per year. Assuming that heat must be removed the the computer's environ 50% of the time (warm weather), and assuming an inefficiency of 3:1 for the heat energy evacuation (some data center person help me here, I have no idea), that figure rises to the order of 136,969 MWh per year.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, electric utilities account for 40% of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions, roughly 2/3 of sulfur dioxide, 22% of nitrogen oxides, and roughly 1/3 of mercury emissions.

Also according to E.P.A, in 2006 the U.S.A.'s 50 dirtiest power plants (i.e. fossil fuel plants, not nuclear plants) generated a combined total of 272,359,846 MWh and spewed into our air 340,887,591 Tons of CO2 (not to mention SO2, Nitrogen oxides and mercury).

At that rate, SETI@HOME's contribution to the environment is on the order of 171,431 Tons of CO2 per year.
Cut the number in half if you want -- it's still a shitload.

(Granted, I've made two assumptions there: all SETI@Home users are in U.S. and the saved power could be cut from these dirty plants -- both untrue, but convenient for simplification and adequate to get an order of magnitude result.)

I don't mention the other similar projects (e.g., Folding@Home, etc.) because they seem productive to me. It's a personal judgment, I know. But I question the value of pumping hundreds of thousand of tons of greenhouse gasses into the air looking for extraterrestrials. People really just use it because it's a cool-looking screen saver.

I mean, anybody with any common sense knows the flying saucers and gray men with big eyes are actually time-travelling humans from the future and not extraterrestrials!

... In before shitstorm ...

1176857845213.jpg

We're one of the billions of the billions and maybe of the billions planets out there... I say there are life out there but are they smart, oh hell with it I've no idea but they all cannot be any smarter than Relic himself... They all already have the mojo in their history books... Just be careful when u go to space... OKAY GUYS?

Bah, who cares, we got all the tech we needed out of the Roswell crashes.. every few years the goverment gives a little peice of it to either AMD, IBM, or Intel.

Bah, who cares, we got all the tech we needed out of the Roswell crashes.. every few years the goverment gives a little peice of it to either AMD, IBM, or Intel.

Hey, u shouldn't know that !!! i gonna call the men in black!! :D

What's the problems with the ET's?
They aren't bothering anybody, they blend in well.

I believe they used alien technology in the PS3 and Q6600. That's why they fold so fast.

Give me a break on this alarmist bullshit. Even assuming the worst calculations, SETI only puts ~170,000 tons of CO2 in the air, with 2.5 million participants. And he wanted to show the order or magnitude of the problem. Okay, let's look at the magnitude.

Let's take those 2.5 million participants, and assume they each drive an average passenger car. Each of those cars generate an average of 5 tons of CO2 a year. That comes to 12.5 million tons compared to 170,000 tons. The averaged cars generate 75 times more polution than the worst case scenario of SETI.*

Buddy, climb down out of your SUV and get some perspective. :rolleyes:

*http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/420f05004.htm

so does folding@home, or world of warcraft, or anti virus software.....who really gives a damn....if you think that the end result of whatever you're running is worth it, then using a bit more electricity isn't going to stop you

so does folding@home, or world of warcraft, or anti virus software.....who really gives a damn....if you think that the end result of whatever you're running is worth it, then using a bit more electricity isn't going to stop you

world of warcrap beats SETI@HOME. Oh noes gobal warming! give me a break.... :rolleyes:

Actually you need to take a closer look at Bell labs:

http://semiconductormuseum.com/HistoricTransistorTimeline_Index.htm

And:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p38662850n8w446r/

Did you know the very first transistor was made from elements that were not known to exist in 1947?

The year of my Birth by the way, I brought that stuff with me;)

Did you know the very first transistor was made from elements that were not known to exist in 1947?

The year of my Birth by the way, I brought that stuff with me;)

dang... you really are old !!!;)
:)
:D

This is all pretty silly. All this can be said about so many things, and there are many more things that make a much bigger impact than Seti users.

People have every right to run whatever DC program that they feel is the most beneficial. You probably won't find many astrophysicists running [email protected] then again, you won't find many astrophysicists at all.

This is all pretty silly. All this can be said about so many things, and there are many more things that make a much bigger impact than Seti users.

well i use Blackle instead of Google, the same stuff, just black! :p

At first I had no idea what that post had to do with mine, but now I see. Blackle displays the google page in all black to save power by not having your monitor display all the white pixels. Interesting concept.

BillR, you're almost as old as I am - 1946 here. Damn we are old! :)

Lol, not old my friend, just well seasoned.:D

Up until now I thought I was the oldest guy here, now I don’t feel so bad. I only mentioned it as it coincided with my birthday.

The really fun part is reading some of the posts in Gen May and realizing how many youngsters here have no clue about the care and feeding of women or life in general.;)

At first I had no idea what that post had to do with mine, but now I see. Blackle displays the google page in all black to save power by not having your monitor display all the white pixels. Interesting concept.

Only makes a difference if you're using a CRT. LCDs have lower power output and don't use any less power by displaying black instead of white, IIRC.

Only makes a difference if you're using a CRT. LCDs have lower power output and don't use any less power by displaying black instead of white, IIRC.

indeed, i use CRTs because of the visual quality, no LCD or Plasma can beat them. I´m waiting until the new Carbon Nanotube Monitors come along the [SIZE=-1]Field Emission Displays (CNT-FED) !!1

[/SIZE]

Global warming isn't real, jesus christ.

sure it is.. global warming is very real, it is a natural cycle the earth goes thought...

now then.. did we as humans have any thing to do with global warming.. maybe.. just a little..

did we really dramaticly speed up the process... nope.. maybe buy a few years....tops

is there any thing we can do about it...yup.. evolve... but alas, we put safty lables on every thing we make... the chinese tryed to help...

is al gore full of shit... yes................. carbon credits..bwahahahaha

ok.. im done

wow! blame anything but the real problem like gas guzzling vehicles at war that dont need to be there :D

wow! blame anything but the real problem like gas guzzling vehicles at war that dont need to be there :D

Personally, I blame the cows....they put out far more "harmful" :)rolleyes:) gasses than any vehicles.....but hey, they taste better than cars, so they get a free pass

Im pretty sure when it gets really horrible(said global warming), the government will step up and admit they have been covering up the fact there is aliening beings out there, only reason they cover it up now is because it would induce anarchy, because it goes against what religions say and we will just all massively move to some planet 40 billions lightyears away and ill be the next spock.

End of story.

Share with us what was used, then?

The information is becoming harder and harder to find just as it isn’t widely known that Bell Labs ran the entire atomic program in the US and still might. Those links are disappearing fast on the net as are the books in stores.

That said it was a then unknown derivative of Boron that was used in the first transistor. Germanium was known about years before the first transistor. Look up Crystal Set Radio which relied on open Germanium crystals and a “Cats Whisker”.

While the link I posted credits the original transistor as being the CK-723 that is incorrect, the first commercially available transistor was the CK-722. I still have some here that I purchased as a kid long ago and those were in fact germanium based.

When the radio transmitter was invented, which used a carbon arc to create the signal they used the Crystal set to listen to the signal.

Germanium wasn’t used in transistors until much later and although cheap to produce they were not reliable and eventually were replaced with silicone.

I used seti at home pretty much from day one intill 2006 when I got this box, decided to fold.

Not that I don't think seti is a nobel cause, because it is. That and because I felt F@H had more going for it. My pentium 3 used to rip thru seti units in a bit over 9 hours with the graphical client, thought it was bitchin at the time.

Bill is an alien...explains the cattle mutilations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back