Installing Linux on a PS3

The_Law

Gawd
I finally decided to install Linux on my PS3 and I can't figure out how. I was under the impression that you could just download it onto the PS3, but I am thinking I may be wrong.

Do you have to order a DVD for $50? Somewhere I found said you can download and burn to a DVD, but my crappy laptop only has a DVD/CDRW combo, so that isn't an option for me.

Is there another way that I am just missing? If not, does anyone have an extra copy on dvd that they want to mail me? :)

You can download it. I installed Yellow Dog on my PS3, stripped out the absolutely terrible window manager that comes with it and installed XFCE. Then I installed a bunch of media software and got emulation and network stuff going.

Then I realized, Linux on the PS3 is a slow pain in the ass and quit using it.

Weeks later I further realized that the PS3 is also a peice of trash and I sold it on eBay. FUCK. :mad:

I realized, Linux on the PS3 is a slow pain in the ass and quit using it.

Weeks later I further realized that the PS3 is also a peice of trash and I sold it on eBay. FUCK. :mad:

That was helpful.

... Thanks exe16, that is what I was looking for. I can handle burning to a CD. :)

Well its sort of useful. Now you know what to expect. Its pretty slow. I tried Fedora Core 6 and it was dog slow. You really need to strip it down to just what you need, but thats what you get with only 256mb of system memory. I'm hopeful though, they are porting XBMC to linux, so thats something to look forward to.

You can download it. I installed Yellow Dog on my PS3, stripped out the absolutely terrible window manager that comes with it and installed XFCE. Then I installed a bunch of media software and got emulation and network stuff going.

Then I realized, Linux on the PS3 is a slow pain in the ass and quit using it.

And the buyier on eBay further realized he got a good deal off you, and is soon to enjoy som MG4 and Rachet, YEA RACHET!

As for Linux, I'm interested in loading this up as well, thanks for the helpful info.

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon using the Alternate PS3 CD.

Followed the instructions and got it all up and running without a hitch; but once I was inside the OS it appears my network adapter is not correctly detected. It's defaulting to wifi, and that doesn't appear to be working either.

Any ideas about this?

I decided to put linux on my PS3; however, which distro should i use? I've never used linux before.

hmm...i may try yellow dog on my PS3; however, how's ubuntu? Do all of distros utilitze the PS3 SPEs?

hmm...i may try yellow dog on my PS3; however, how's ubuntu? Do all of distros utilitze the PS3 SPEs?

only so much is actually available for use under linux. it's a 3.2ghz processor... with 256MB of ram...

and no graphics card...

so umm... it's not very robust but it's usable, it's more just for the ability to do so at all than to actually use it...

the cell sdk and such have full wifi support and stuff, gutsy messed up my ethernet though, it's defaulting to wifi and won't even detect that... umm, I've downloaded yellow dog and burned it like 3 times at 20x 4x and even 1x... god that was long... and neither way would it boot.

Finally got around to installing it last night. Messed around with it for about an hour. Then I formatted my harddrive and I will never look back. I guess it might be cool to some, but it was way too slow for me. I have never used Linux and it was mind boggling to me how even the most menial tasks required a ton of work (... at least a ton of work for someone who has no clue how to use Linux :) ). If I never open another "terminal" it will be too soon. That's what I get for being a noob and thinking I knew what I was doing.

I will just leave Linux to the pros and continue to use my system for music, movies, and games.

I installed Yellowdog as soon as it was released....and it is still on my system....and I never use it...ever.

I installed xubuntu on my PS3; however, i can't change the resolution and i'm getting no network connection. I'm hooked up to my HDTV via hdmi.. any clues?

Back-up computer for web browsing and email, I guess. The 256mb of system RAM limitation is a killer for any serious desktop usage. I sure wouldn't be using it as a primary computer, that's for certain.

It would probably make an OK server if you didn't run X.org on it, but then again, you can do much better for much cheaper. Maybe if you bought a PS3 and don't ever see playing games on it?

IMHO, the best use would be a platform for learning to program the Cell, but how many gamers care about that? Hell, how many _programmers_ care about that? Not many, to be certain.

I have never used Linux and it was mind boggling to me how even the most menial tasks required a ton of work (... at least a ton of work for someone who has no clue how to use Linux :) ). If I never open another "terminal" it will be too soon. .

hehe

im a bit of a linux noob myself, only been using it on and off since last year (now my home systems are fully ubuntu converted, only work is windows), but terminal can be a hard bullet to bite for a real noob

i think having messed around a lot in DOS on the old days really helped :), but if you are only used to windows GUI style interacting, terminal is hard

as for linux being slow on the PS3, what'd ya expect with 256 mb system memory? go install windows xp/vista whichever on a system with 256 mb ram and enjoy...

Back