Weird booting issue .... I'm befuddled.

J Macker

[H]F Junkie
Alright guys....

Stuck in the new Q6600 and upgraded the PSU to the Antec 850w, new Ram, mobo...

Major problem though...

From a cold boot, the fans spin up everything turns on, but no post. Then it powers down. About 1 more second, it powers up again, posts, then boots like normal.

From a restart, there doesn't seem to be any issue.
To me, it sounds like an overloaded psu, but I can't see any reason why it would be.
Oh yeah, and it's plugged into an APC Back-UPS Pro 500, with no battery. (just a fancy filter until I get to the battery shop)

:confused: What's going on? :confused::confused::confused:

List of drives:
(1) old Lite-on cd/dvdrw
(1) 320gb seagate 7200.10
(1) 400gb wd
(1) 500gb Maxtor
(1) 300gb Seagate

Antec 900 case with:
(4) 120mm case fans
(1) 200mm case fan

Yah, thats apparently somewhat more normal than you'd think with these boards.

Yeah, apparently thats a "feature" of the P35 mobo chipset. Don't worry about it. From what I can tell so far, it doesn't seem like that double boot is doing anything harmful to the PC.

So again, don't worry about it. It's just a big annoyance.

Heh, I don't see this problem on the half a dozen gigabyte boards I've worked with, but I have seen it on the IP35/IP35-E boards I've worked with... strange.

Heh, I don't see this problem on the half a dozen gigabyte boards I've worked with, but I have seen it on the IP35/IP35-E boards I've worked with... strange.

Same here. I've seen two IP35-Es do that out of a batch of three. Though, I haven't had the chance to play with a Gigabyte P35 mobo, yet.

It's not underpowered. Why don't you just send it back for a replacement? .... assuming you have warranty. If my board comes in with this known issue, I'm sending it back to the egg for a replacement.

My mobo's done this same thing for a while now. I always assumed it had something to do with the BIOS and CPU detection needing to restart the Post process to take into account for multiple cores. It never happened when I had a single core CPU in there.

A new BIOS update was released (after 10-17-2007) that should fix the dual boot issue.

Yea this has been out for atleast 6-8months. It is a double post thing that has been fixed. Just update ur BIOS the the other guy said. This is a great mobo i jus dont know how to overclock it. :eek:

I flashed the BIOS to the newest, and the problem still persists. I hate Abit.

I've had better experiences with MSI, Gigabyte and Epox than Abit and Asus.

The same thing occurs in several ASUS boards I have worked with throughout the years, notably the P5LD2 and the newer P5K series.

With the newer bios fix on Abit boards, it should only double boot if you change the bios.

Like Danny Bui said, it's a P35 chipset feature. I believe the board attempts to boot as a self-test to see if it will boot ok (or if the settings "take")...or something like that. If it succeeds, it boots again normally.

Again, with the newer Abit bios, it only does this if you change bios settings; it doesn't do it on every power on.

Back