SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

Commander0Zero

Limp Gawd
Instead of hijacking others threads with talk about this monitor how about we reserve all talk and questions here. It looks like there is a good amount of interest in this panel. I received mine today and will post pictures hopefully tonight. Below are the specs from Office Max site where the monitor was bought by most.....

* 24" Widescreen SXGA TFT LCD Display
* 1920 x 1200 Native Screen Resolution
* 1000:1 Contrast Ratio
* 6ms Response Time
* 500 nits Brightness
* 2 x 2 Watt Stereo Speakers
* 170 degrees Horizontal, 160 degrees Vertical Viewing Angle
* 40,000 Hour backlight lifespan (typical)
* 15-pin mini D-sub VGA and DVI-D connections
* AC 100-240 Volts, 60 / 50 Hz Voltage, 100 Watts (max) Power Consumption
* 1-Year Limited warranty on LCD, parts and labor.
SOYO S.A.F.E. Program

Just got home plugged monitor and it looks like a keeper. I do have one dead pixel in the mid left of the screen. I wonder should I attempt to swap it out for another screen or should I keep what I got overall I'm satisfied? I'll post pics later.

Just got home plugged monitor and it looks like a keeper. I do have one dead pixel in the mid left of the screen. I wonder should I attempt to swap it out for another screen or should I keep what I got overall I'm satisfied? I'll post pics later.

Sounds good with the pics :)

1 dead pixel? Unless its so obvious you cant look at the screen without noticing it, I would keep it.

Could you do a test for me? I don't know where I heard this, but I heard that this monitor has problems running HD content and XBOX360/PS3. Could you test any of those for me?

Thanks for making this thread :) Will be watching it;)

I really like this monitor, but I've had to exchange it twice to get one that fully works (so far). The first one I got did have one dead pixel in the lower left corner that I hardly noticed. After about a day of use though, a whole row of pixels went out suddenly. The second monitor had a very low buzzing noise that was hardly noticable at first, but actually got quite a bit louder as I used the monitor and became extremely annoying. I just got home with my third one and it seems to be fine. I haven't found any dead pixels and there's no buzzing noise at all. At least Office Max is 100% hassle free with exchanges. This second time the guy didn't even ask me what was wrong. He just asked if it was defective, wrote on my receipt that it was exchanged and handed me the new one.

The color on this looks great uncalibrated and gets even better when calibrated. I thought the color on my TN paneled LCD was fine, but this looks so much better.

I'm hoping I've just been extremely unlucky so far and that this third one will work for me. I haven't noticed any widespread reports on here of these crapping out on people so I'm still optimistic overall.

too bad officemax jacked the price up $100, at least online

They didn't jack it up, it was on sale for $100 off last week. They may do it again in the future as this wasn't the first time they've had it for that price. There's a nice big thread about it in the hot deals section.

Is there a work-around to be able to use BluRay/HD-DVD's on a monitor like this that isn't hdcp (Might have those letters wrong but you know what I mean :)) ?

They didn't jack it up, it was on sale for $100 off last week. They may do it again in the future as this wasn't the first time they've had it for that price. There's a nice big thread about it in the hot deals section.

i stand corrected

I'd love to get this monitor but until someone figures out how to use the 360's 1080P mode I won't buy it.I'm leaning towards the Cheap-ish Acer 24" Not sure at this point.

I love the one I got. No dead pixels and very nice deep colors right out of the box.

i ordered one online and picked up one locally cause i couldnt wait.

color looks great out the box, but i lowered the brightness so my eyes doesnt burn.

i lowered to 25 but some details are lost compare to at 50 brightness.

First off I suck at photos. Second I have a whole new respect to those that post photos for the community. It's time for me to do my share. Here is my opening Salvo. Be gentle on the photo work but this gives an idea of out the box picture no calibration. If you have any tips on the photography or something you want to see in particular I'll try my best I'll throw the XBOX 360 tomorrow enjoy.

I Hate UPS this thing wasn't even taped up!!!!

1473164301_8c8d8943e3.jpg

1474017926_8f21cccc3c.jpg

Some Wallpapers I threw up for you guys
1473165997_78296df837.jpg

1474028038_0fd5ee8e46.jpg

1473178287_ffc6a6f567.jpg

Close up of above image to show banding? Take it how you want looks fine to me.
1473176803_5251169905.jpg

Quake Wars Demo
1474019988_425028db13.jpg

1473169497_2171cc494a.jpg

Possible ghosting. I really didn't put this monitor through the FPS paces so I wouldn't pass judgment on just this pic. Could be crappy camera work on my part. Putting it in here for full disclosure.
1474021186_e3ebfb47be.jpg

Just a extreme closeup of Ironman to show colors and deatail. I guess :)

1474026488_6c1c36a139.jpg

Not really a review but the monitor does impress. Keep in mind it is bare bones only DVI and vga inputs and not HDCP complient. But for me I did not need all the extras. The picture look good to me out the box although I am not as [H]ard as others.

First off I suck at photos. Second I have a whole new respect to those that post photos for the community. It's time for me to do my share. Here is my opening Salvo. Be gentle on the photo work but this gives an idea of out the box picture no calibration. If you have any tips on the photography or something you want to see in particular I'll try my best I'll throw the XBOX 360 tomorrow enjoy.

I Hate UPS this thing wasn't even taped up!!!!

1473164301_8c8d8943e3.jpg

1474017926_8f21cccc3c.jpg

Some Wallpapers I threw up for you guys
1473165997_78296df837.jpg

1474028038_0fd5ee8e46.jpg

1473178287_ffc6a6f567.jpg

Close up of above image to show banding? Take it how you want looks fine to me.
1473176803_5251169905.jpg

Quake Wars Demo
1474019988_425028db13.jpg

1473169497_2171cc494a.jpg

Possible ghosting. I really didn't put this monitor through the FPS paces so I wouldn't pass judgment on just this pic. Could be crappy camera work on my part. Putting it in here for full disclosure.
1474021186_e3ebfb47be.jpg

Just a extreme closeup of Ironman to show colors and deatail. I guess :)

1474026488_6c1c36a139.jpg

Not really a review but the monitor does impress. Keep in mind it is bare bones only DVI and vga inputs and not HDCP complient. But for me I did not need all the extras. The picture look good to me out the box although I am not as [H]ard as others.

I'm not a photo geek or anything, but I do have a suggestion. Put an ambient light behind the monitor. Then take pics from angles showing the complete bezel and stand. I would like to see some like that. Not just straight shots, but from the side, below and above. If you would be so kind anyways :p

If you don't mind, I would like you to go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

And download the "The Discoverers (IMAX) 1080P" Version. I downloaded it to see what it would look like.Didn't know how bad TN panels were till now, I noticed it had horrible color blending in some instances, especially near the end with the sun going down over the horizon. I guess you could say "color banding". Would you be willing to take a pic of that for me? Again thanks for this thread and the many pics :)

I'm not a photo geek or anything, but I do have a suggestion. Put an ambient light behind the monitor. Then take pics from angles showing the complete bezel and stand. I would like to see some like that. Not just straight shots, but from the side, below and above. If you would be so kind anyways :p

If you don't mind, I would like you to go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

And download the "The Discoverers (IMAX) 1080P" Version. I downloaded it to see what it would look like.Didn't know how bad TN panels were till now, I noticed it had horrible color blending in some instances, especially near the end with the sun going down over the horizon. I guess you could say "color banding". Would you be willing to take a pic of that for me? Again thanks for this thread and the many pics :)

I'll give it a shot after work today.... The pics are also too small for real detail (noticed that after I posted do'h!!!) sure I'll download the Discoveries movie. Also I agreee with the lighting the problem, the corner I'm in in my basement I only have a lamp and it puts a glare on the screen that the camera picks up like crazy. I'll post some more stuff this afternoon.....

I'll give it a shot after work today.... The pics are also too small for real detail (noticed that after I posted do'h!!!) sure I'll download the Discoveries movie. Also I agreee with the lighting the problem, the corner I'm in in my basement I only have a lamp and it puts a glare on the screen that the camera picks up like crazy. I'll post some more stuff this afternoon.....

Nice!:cool:

Here is a Halo 3 screenshot at 720p. Couldn't get 1080p to work. Also this is a 1080p WMVHD movie. Once again my camera work isn't the best but the monitor is really good looking. Both pieces of content looked great and the 1080p content looked wonderful. Also fyi I've read on other forums that the switch between vga and dvi causes the panel to lock and it needs to be power cycled. This did not happen to me at all. Now it would be nice for an easier way to change outputs other than the OSD but so for those that change frequently this may annoy you. Also worth noting after I turned off my xbox 360 the monitor automatically switched back to dvi port. Enjoy the pics.

20071004_0033.JPG

1486293666_ff9043572e_b.jpg

1485440255_4c122f52e6_b.jpg

1485440081_0c4797b48d_b.jpg

1474019988_425028db13_b.jpg

Hi there Commander0Zero I saw that lcd at officemax for $299.99 and it hard to beat a 24 at that price:eek:. I wanted to know if there is anyway of getting 1080p on that lcd with the xbox 360:confused: Cuz I would use it for pc gaming and xbox 360 as well also what other fast pace fps have you tried out is there any ghosting that is very noticeable? I got to say it looks bad ass in person I use a 20" dell fp2001 right now and would like to make the move to a WS lcd.

Yeah, it sounds pretty nice. I'd like to see it just to compare the quality to my Acer AL2216WBD. Anyone noticed a difference between the two?

I am really liking mine. I've been running it as much as posible just to get it past the burn-in stage, so hopefully it won't cause problems later. BTW, no dead/stuck pixels, no hummmmm, no streaks, no light blead, just really nice PQ.:D
It would really be a shame if the electronic production quality control screws this thing up.:eek:

Must admit I love my Soyo. It has 1 dead pixel towards the left ( still wondering if I should attempt to exchange). Other than that no backlight bleeding great size and image quality. It does xbox 360 over vga at 720p great ( I really don't understand the obsession with 1080p on a 24inch screen). personally for me the pros far outweighed the cons. I will say purchase the warranty better to be safe than sorry. There are 24 inch monitors that probably out perform it as far as features and if you're will to spend 200 to 300 dollars more go for it. but as far as just image quality and color I bet this Soyo once calibrated can compete with the higher end models.

I have been considering this LCD and I am definitely going to ask the officemax guy to set up whichever monitor I buy so I can check for dead pixels etc

funny thing is I have an entire row of dead pixels on my current (15 year old) monitor and I never even notice them, but even one dead pixel on my shiny new monitor would burst my bubble! :rolleyes:

I notice no lag whatsoever, it's just as fast as my Acer 22" was in FPS games. And dang, that game looks a lot more vibrant on this thing.

Well, I pulled the trigger and I have to say this thing is AWESOME.

I went from an HP w2207 TN panel to this and the difference is staggering.

No dead pixels, no backlight bleed, unbelievable blacks, stunning monitor.

Yeah, the difference between TN and this (I think P-MVA) is incredible. BTW, what brightness/contrast/color settings do you use? I'm running it at 10 brightness/65 contrast/38,38,38 RGB. And it STILL seems kinda bright, haha. Much brighter than my Acer.

Oh wow, looks like I've finally got something to upgrade from my 2001fp that wont take too big a hit on my slim little wallet.

What about aspect scaling with this monitor? 1:1 display? Both of these are very very important for me to make a switch to an LCD and this is at the right price to try. Seems hard to believe that this is not a more important issue with people. Any way, look forward to hearing what the scaling options are.

Oh wow, looks like I've finally got something to upgrade from my 2001fp that wont take too big a hit on my slim little wallet.

I came from a 2001FP, and I'm very satisfied. This display has far exceeded my expectations. Since the price is so low, it might be worthwhile to get the OM no hassle warranty. Durability is the only concern I have now since I couldn't ask for anything more visually.

I just tried it, the monitor does let you scale 1:1. I'm in 1280x1024 right now instead of 1920x1200 -- the picture fills the screen from top to bottom and there's blackspace on the left and right sides.

Just got mine yesterday and the color is awesome. Although the aesthetics of the framing and back of the panel are a bit on the ugly side. Anyway has anyone been able to run the refresh rates at 75Hz? I have it plugged into dvi on a Quadro FX1400 and everytime I set refresh to 75Hz the monitor says out of range. Looked at the review from Benchmark Reviews and they have that refresh rate listed in the specs.

Also the OSD menu and volume buttons do not work unless there is a video signal going to the monitor which I think is retarded.

Add me to the club of happy owners. This one replaces my recently deceased FW-900 (RIP :() and does a pretty good job at it. This LCD is worthy.

i bought one to, and it is just as worthy as my trinitron, so far i am stunned by the display's quality for the price:eek:

By the way,

1:1 scaling is NOT automatic on this monitor. For example, if you set the scaling to 4:3 in the menu, ALL resolutions are displayed as 4:3 including 1920x1200 which will have black borders and not fill the screen.

So it does indeed have 1:1 scaling, but you have to MANUALLY select the source type in the menu each time. Annoying if you use 4:3 resolutions a lot, but fortunately I don't. :)

This monitor does not have 1:1 scaling as far as I know. The best it does is manual ASPECT RATIO scaling, giving you a choice of 16:10 or 4:3 in the menu. For computer use, this isn't an issue because drivers can be set to output with "centered timings", which is 1:1. For other sources, unfortunately, you're stuck with the two options given. This means if you want to use a PS3 or 360 on it, you'll have to bear a little vertical stretching of the 16:9 picture to 16:10. Also, I've noticed some weird flaws with this monitor regarding fairly standard resolutions. For some reason, it gives corruption on the far right of the screen when using resolutions such as 1280x800. 1920x1080, 1280x960, 1400x1050, etc.

Despite these flaws, I thoroughly love this monitor. It's just such a better deal than anything else out there if you only want to use it as a computer monitor. You don't have any of the problems associated with TN panels, and you're not having to fork over an extra $300 for a measly 2 inches (Dell, BenQ, LG). I owned the LG for a while, but decided to take it back because I decided that all I really wanted was a good PC monitor (and oddly enough, it had problems syching with some of the above resolutions as well, but it would just sit there and flicker every so often). I'll keep the PS3 and 360 hooked up to the 42" :)

Back