matx, SLI, and c2d. What mobo

stain.

[H]ard|Gawd
Title says it all. What's the best microatx sli/c2d board out there?

IIRC this doesn't exist, no SLI for intel core2 in matx form factor.

I remember a Shuttle SFF with SLI a while back, though I don't really recall if it was C2D-ready or AM2 based...

More recently, there were news of another Shuttle SFF, this time with X38 (I think) and CF support.

Besides that, you can get CF-enabled mATX mobos from Gigabyte. Check the G31 and G33-based models, the "M" variants. Your worst problem there will be getting an mATX case with space for 5 expansion slots instead of 4, if you want to use two dual-slotted VGA cards... lol

As for SLI, no luck, as far as I know.

Cheers.

Miguel

The only SLI matx board was on S939 only I belive. The gigabyte G33 board had a PCI-e x16 and a physical PCI-e 4x slot so I dont know if crossfire would work.

For SLI, your only option was the eVGA/Jetway s939 board.

For s775, you can only do Crossfire.
Asus P5B-VM
Gigabyte G33M
The two best options.

For s775, you can only do Crossfire.
Asus P5B-VM
Gigabyte G33M
The two best options.
Actually, the P5B-VM has the BIOS battery right next to the open 4x slot, which effectively stops you from using any expansion slot bigger than 4x. At least as far as I can tell and have read about it. It appears as it can be fixed, by desoldering the BIOS battery and resoldering it on the back of the board, though... :p

The G33M by Gigabyte, as well as its younger brother, the G31M, don't have that kind of limitations. The G31 chipset, as far as I've read on reviews (most notably one about a G31-based ECS board), seems a very decent chipset, actually. Gaming performance at stock on the ECS board was a little higher than a 650i-based board... :confused: I guess the Gigabyte board would give similar results.

Cheers.

Miguel

Back