alt+tab 8800GTS 320mb fixed with latest nvidia drivers yet?

the_transporter

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know if the problem is fixed yet with the latest nvidia drivers? The problem affects the 320MB series of the 8800GTS only (from what I know). The game will start to chug after a while and the FPS will drop drastically. Alt+tab out of and back into the game will allow the FPS to return back to normal. I read that nvidia knew about this problem on Tech Report and they are fixing it, yet I still have this problem, especially in World in Conflict. Any tentative date for this fix? TIA

for the longest time i had no idea what you folks meant by this problem...then i bought a gts320 :p

i've got the 163.67's installed and haven't had to alt-tab out of anything since i installed them last week... the problem seems pretty random to me though(i know it's not random :confused:), so i don't trust these drivers completely yet.

Try using a PS2 keyboard and mouse, unplug all USB devices you possibly can and see if the problem stops.
USB has been found to be very naughty on some systems.

yeah, i have a bunch of usb audio recording devices hooked up to my comp... could be it, doubtful though, since it seems to be a documented problem with the 320mb version and nvidia is working on rectifying it... it's been linked and discussed before, i'm not gonna link it again. as a comparison, i never experienced anything like it with my 7600 sli setup which i just replaced a month ago and my complex network of audio junk hasn't changed.

honestly, it happens so infrequently that it rarely bothers me... but i had an instance tonight playing the seattle level of world in conflict single player campaign. started boggin right during the last scripted sequence when the sniper fired... gotta say that pissed me off alot. went through the whole game flawlessly over the past couple days without so much as a hitch @ 1680x1050 and then bam, slide show during an important fmv sequence.

alt-tab fixed it as soon as i did it but it kinda ruined the atmosphere, for shame.

oh well, for the $250 price tag, i can live with a couple of nuances.

Try using a PS2 keyboard and mouse, unplug all USB devices you possibly can and see if the problem stops.
USB has been found to be very naughty on some systems.

not a chance i'll be going to a ps2 mouse. already there on the keyboard.

i don't believe usb is the problem though it'd serve me well to disconnect some stuff while gaming, just to be sure.

Apparently the 163.67 drivers (and above, presumably) fixed this issue. From the release notes:

What’s New in Version 163.67
New Features
• Improved performance of the graphics memory manager on GeForce
8 series GPUs running DirectX 9 applications in single‐GPU
configurations.
These improvements solve cases of reported performance slowdowns in
some 3D applications with high graphics settings and resolutions.

Edit: Though, interestingly enough, Firing Squad is saying that this issue was resolved in an undocumented fix in the 163.69 drivers.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_vista_driver_performance_update/default.asp

One undocumented issue that has been fixed in ForceWare 163.69 is the random slowdown bug that affected GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB cards. As a result of the bug, in some cases performance would suddenly drop dramatically. Users would have to alt-tab out and then back into the game (clearing the card’s video memory) to resolve this issue.

ForceWare 163.69 fixes this issue, so gamers with GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB cards who have encountered this issue will definitely want to give the new driver a try.

I'm probably going to update to the 163.69 drivers this weekend myself. Well, unless a new Win xp 32 whql driver is slated for release within the next week or so. If you're on Vista though, the 163.69s are already whql, for what it's worth.

Edit: And for those who are interested, the 163.71s WHQL drivers for XP were released today.

Back