Intel Xeon Quadcore X5355 question - 1 CPU on a 2 Slot Motherboard

Hi, I am building a Workstation PC for myself, and I have came up with the desired Specs ( well, it was 'inspired' by the specs of a Boxxtech workstation:) )

So here are the specs in question:

CPU: WS DUAL XEON X5355 2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 1.33 GHz FSB (Quad-Core)
Mother Board: Intel® 5000X

I have a few questions,

1) Although eventually I ll have 2 quadcores running( total of 8 cores ) but for a start I would only buy a single quadcore due to budget limitations. So would that actually work? Would I be able to Have the Motherboard Intel 5000x that is designed to run 2 CPUs with just one Core?

Would that impact the performance in any adverse way? (like it would be slower than just a single quadcore on a motherboard that has only 1 slot for CPUs)
And is there anything else I would need to keep in mind, like are all Quadcore 5350s the same, so if I order just one its all the same which slot I plug it in right?

If someone feels overly charitable you could also recommend a Cooler for Quadcorse Xeon processors :)

Thanks in advance

M

You can run a single processor. Hit me up if you're looking for an X5355 - I have a matched pair, from week 23 2007. I bought them to run in my Apple Mac Pro, but changed my mind.

What speed and how much?

OP - you'll have no problems running on CPU for the time being. The new Seaburg boards should be here in a few weeks if you want to wait though.

Wow thanks the suggestions guys, i ll make a note on those links.

I havent had a proper desktop PC such a long time ago, do you still put silicon between the processor chip and the Cooler unit? And if yes, do you have any recommendations there?

M

If you bought a retail cpu with the cooler, it should have a thermal pad on the bottom which is good for the first use. After that, artic silver or shin etsu (however you spell it) should work.

Back