460W power supply enough for an 8800 GTX?

Ionium

Limp Gawd
Given that I have just one hard drive, one optical drive and nothing else? Or will I need to rip out my power supply and get something better?

It depends on the brand, model, and amperage available on the supply's various rails. Need more info. It could be fine, it could be asking for a dead PSU/etc.

Drat, I searched newegg for all black 460W power supplies with a blue underglow that are under $80 but I could not find it.

Not to offend, but looking for a PSU based on looks is a dreadfully stupid idea. Also, don't plan to pay less than $100 for a quality supply to run that hardware.

Yeah, it's a Raidmax. Total hunk of shit. I would /not/ attempt to run an 8800 GTX off that thing. It could easily die and take the machine with it.

I know nothing about MSI PSUs. Personally, I wouldn't trust it without figuring out who the real OEM is.

Silverstone, Seasonic, Enermax, Corsair (built by Seasonic), PC Power and Cooling, Zippy (loud but high quality), Andyson, Etasis, Ultra's X3 series, the Thermaltake Toughpower line... if you're on a really tight budget Xclio is an option. I'd pretty much stick to those.

I had my computer assembled by MJP computers in oxnard, they've been in business for a really long time so I trust their judgement when it comes to computer parts :eek:

If you want to take that risk, fine, but I don't trust anywhere based on how long they've been in business alone. Maybe if they were known for building very high end gaming machines, but extremely high quality PSUs aren't nearly as important in basic surfing/music/word processing systems.

I have a 450w OCZ Modstream and it works perfectly fine with my system. I dont have a 8800gtx though

How about a Corsair 520HX? I'm torn between getting a GTS and a GTX, but don't want to have to pop for a power supply at the same time if I get the GTX.

How about a Corsair 520HX? I'm torn between getting a GTS and a GTX, but don't want to have to pop for a power supply at the same time if I get the GTX.

A 520HX is fine for a single GTS/GTX/Ultra, but will not be enough for SLI.

any good 450+ psu will work i have a PC Power and Cooling 510 a gtx 4 hdd and a dvd burner never gave me trouble

Not to offend, but looking for a PSU based on looks is a dreadfully stupid idea. Also, don't plan to pay less than $100 for a quality supply to run that hardware.

Yeah, it's a Raidmax. Total hunk of shit. I would /not/ attempt to run an 8800 GTX off that thing. It could easily die and take the machine with it.

QFT. That's just asking to blow something up.

It's amazing how much completely useless info they can give in all those charts.

Thanks for the entire ATX 2.0 spec pin-out, MSI... too bad that's the same on everything and you give absolutely no info on the supply's output capabilities...

Yeah I know, sheesh

corsairhx520w will power q6600/gts/gtx/ultra but not sli

thats your best bet

you could probably go with the lower 450w model they have also

they are just seasonic m12 units and act as a single +12v

Corsair 620W is what I run and like. Don't buy Seasonic b/c of their terrible customer service. Corsair is seasonic with good customer service.

I think Seasonic Customer service is as bad as any I have ever, ever experienced. I rma'd a psu to them and at first they sent it back IMMEDIATELY after taking my info out of my box. I called them and resent it and it friggin dissapeared and they said that there was no record of the rma? lol

Anyway the Corsair is a fine psu despite it's Seasonic origins. They make a great power supply but the other aspects of that company are comical at best.

Why, oh why are people willing to shell out money for high end components like motherboard, ram, video card.. then then totally skimp out on a decent PSU?

A quality PSU can make or break your system, especially with overclocking. If all your going to do is surf the web, and play java games.. pfffft.. who cares, save some money.

If your going to game, and try to push your components with overclocking, then DON'T ski

On a different note, I have an OCZ 600W ADJ SLI that I'm probably going to part ways with. If your interested, just send me a PM.

Why, oh why are people willing to shell out money for high end components like motherboard, ram, video card.. then then totally skimp out on a decent PSU?

I'm not the one who decided to put a skimpy PSU in my case so it's not my fault so there :eek:

It's not that it takes /that/ much power... it just needs to be stable power. Also, most lower quality supplies put a bunch of their rated wattage on the 5 volt rail, which is pretty much useless. Modern machines require high amperage available on the 12v rail(s).

Any good quality 500 watt unit should be able to handle a quad, an 8800 GTX, and a few hard drives without issue.

I have a 460w Enermax that I'm very happy with (it's the only PSU I've owned for more than a year that hasn't died). I'm going to order a BFG 8800 GTX soon, and instead of replacing my PSU, I'm going to augment it with that Thermaltake video card PSU I posted above. This way the video card will have a dedicated power source that won't be affected by the demands of other hardware, and the power eating monster that is the GTX won't interfere with the rest of my system's power usage.

I'll reply here and let you know how it works out after I get it installed.

IF you get a FSP PSU of 450w and you'll be fine. Around $50. You might need to buy an addition connector for the 2nd plug on the card. My core 2 system pulls no more than 370 watts at 4ghz with the GTX (high vcore too)

I had 8800 GTX hooked up on my 500W NeoHE. Worked great.

I wouldn't trust a Raidmax (or MSI for that matter esp when they don't give ANY hint as to the actual power distribution of the PSU) farther than I could punt it. Function first, then looks - it's just not worth it to put lots of high dollar parts on the line for saving a few bucks. Next time, if you *must* have a shop build your PC, I'd suggest either buying one elsewhere and give it to them to put in the build, or at least ask what they use and decide (or ask somewhere like here if any good).

Anyway, ~450w is fine for a GTX, if you have a quality PSU. If you must save some bucks, try the Corsair 450VX - ~$70 [$75, $65 AR @ Mwave; $76, $66 w/ Google Checkout @ Buy.com]. Not that the FSP is a *bad* PSU, but I'd say it's most definitely worth it to spend the extra $15-20 for the Corsair..Far better efficiency, great (from what I've ever seen around here w/ bad RAM) customer service, and the typical Corsair 5 year warranty. FSP on the other hand is probably 1, maybe 2 tops. If you can spring for another ~$15 over the 450VX, you can usually grab a 520HX (AFTER rebates) - same warranty, slightly lower efficiency (IIRC), same 5 year warranty, and modular cables.

Back