Stacker 830 window mod...

jcazes

Limp Gawd
I'm in the process of swapping out the mesh in my stacker 830 evo with a window, and was wondering if anyone had any pictures/comments. As you can see HERE, there is a raised/elevated portion of the panel I want to emulate, thus the difficulty... Now, I probably won't be able to get the pitch as steep for that elevated portion of the window, but I'm going to look for an architecture student/teacher to help me out :D. Other than that, there seem to be some screw sets already in place on the panel frame (although the mesh insert does not utilize them; it utilizes some tabs, as seen by the slots near the screw set in the image), so I imagine I will just need to drill some holes in the window and get my own screws.

I'm also going to be giving it a paint job with my boss's professional paint gun, using some polyurethane or just urethane with some clear coats (what they put on cars). From my initial examination, the surfaces seem fairly smooth (brushed aluminum, but very smooth), so I probably won't need to sand much, right?

A ghetto way to do it would be to cut out the mesh along the edges to keep the form intact then get a large piece of plexi/lexan and place it on there. Then, use a heat gun around the areas that are molded (just remember to go back and forth so that it loosens evenly) and WITH GLOVES press the plexi/lexan so that it molds to the same shape as the mesh is. If you need more help understanding what I just said (I think it's coherent but I'm kinda tired) just ask and I can draw out the steps.

I haven't molded plexiglass in a while but if I remember correctly the parts that have been molded will not be as translucent as the flat pieces but it should still look acceptable. I suggest trying to mess around with some scrap plexiglass and the heat gun before actually attempting it and remember to get a piece of plexiglass LARGER than the area needed as you will lose some while molding.

There is probably a better way to go about this task but it's the best that I can think of right now. Good luck and I hope to see your finished work.

That was actually my plan :D. I didn't see any other way besides putting the acrylic/plexi over the mesh and making the molds match. I'll probably try to get my hands on some scrap like you said and see what happens (unless I find someone who's confident he/she can do it, for a reasonable fee).

Yeah, just make sure to wear those gloves. Once I though "Hey, it's not THAT hot I'll just use a rag in between my hand and the plexi"... BAD idea.

After you get the plexi molded and make sure you can attach it remove it and then paint it. I think it would look amazing with either a Piano/Glossy Black finish (as you said you'd be using professional paint equipment and some polyurethane should be too hard) or you could always go for something louder, just remember that if you have colored LEDs / LED Fans to make sure that the colors work well together.

Get some pictures up either in the process or the finished product and I'll do the same; I have to add a blow hole to the top of my LAN Box (1x90mm intake and 2x60mm blowing out isn't cutting it with OCing too) so I'm using it as an excuse to add a window and then stick a 92mm as exhuast on it. We'll see how that goes as my skill at creating straight lines with a dremel are quite bad.

a place in Florida has a great custom window mod for the stacker 830 that looks WAY better than what you can do and you can get it done for 70 bucks just send them the panel in themail.

website: www.performance-pcs.com click on cases, click on coolermaster modified cases to see an example of their professional work.

a place in Florida has a great custom window mod for the stacker 830 that looks WAY better than what you can do and you can get it done for 70 bucks just send them the panel in themail.

website: www.performance-pcs.com click on cases, click on coolermaster modified cases to see an example of their professional work.

Well but that is $70 and takes the fun out of modding for the OP. Also I did browse through it, and it looks like they just did a flat one, without the groove the OP wanted.

two things: they don't sell the window separately--I emailed them about this and asked when they will start offering this "swap-in" you speak of and they said "very soon" (like July-ish), but someone else on the forums said they said the same thing a few months ago. Also, the window on their modified cases is simply flat. Yes, it looks pretty hot (as they seem to have removed the mounting area on the frame part of the side panel and mounted the window on the backside), but if I can find someone who can help me pull off the bend with minimal blurring in the window, I want to shoot for that

Maybe I'll talk to a custom body shop that works with cars.

Back