How to turn off all the VISTA's security messeges??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SX2233

Gawd
I'm really sick and tired of it, asking everytime if I wanted to rename a file or move a file. Does any know know how to turn those messeges off? Please help

This is called "UAC" -- to get rid of it do the following:
> Start
> in search, type "run"
> when run dialog comes up type "msconfig" and press enter
> tools tab
> scroll down to "Disable UAC" and click once on it to hilight
> click "launch"
> a command prompt window should come up with the message "The operation completed successfully."
> close the window and reboot. Done.

Please note that you will theoretically be more prone to malicious programs and the like, but so long as you run up to date antivirus and firewall software and do occasional spyware scans (like you should anyway) you should be fine.

It will only ask you about those files if they are system files such as applications, Windows files and the like.
Which leads me to ask- what on earth are you doing with those system files that it prompts you enough to prompt a posting?

It is rather exaggerated saying "Every time".

It will only ask you about those files if they are system files such as applications, Windows files and the like.
Which leads me to ask- what on earth are you doing with those system files that it prompts you enough to prompt a posting?

It is rather exaggerated saying "Every time".

Maybe your Vista is different than my Vista because everything I do pops up one of those messages :mad:

Just add your user to the ACL on those folder(s).

I'm really sick and tired of it, asking everytime if I wanted to rename a file or move a file. Does any know know how to turn those messeges off? Please help

That is part of Vista's new security solution. Basically, whenever something that could mess up the computer is attempted, Vista asks you to confirm that it was you who started the action and not a malicious program.

You can disable it by following the steps in the first reply, but you will lose most of Vista's improved security.

Maybe your Vista is different than my Vista because everything I do pops up one of those messages :mad:
Defintiely time you RTFVM then, methinks. Or at least learnt a bit more about the new operating environment before jumping in to do stuff. XP it ain't!

I'm fairly certain that moving or *renaming* your own files (the ones in your /users/<yourname>/ directory) will not cause a UAC prompt. Renaming root or system files (the ones in /program files, /program files (x86), /windows...) will cause a UAC prompt.

if you attempt to move or rename a file in the program files directory UAC will promt you. Vista likes to protect files in there since thats where a majority of the programs you install go to.

I initially kept it on, but ultimately i turned it off. Too much of a pain in the ass.

I do my own protecting now. And it works better for my style of computing. :D

I figure as long as I know how to replace said protection, it doesnt need to be on..

I initially kept it on, but ultimately i turned it off. Too much of a pain in the ass.

I do my own protecting now. And it works better for my style of computing. :D

I figure as long as I know how to replace said protection, it doesnt need to be on..

So does your method protect your computer when you are away from it then? Interesting, please elaborate...

So does your method protect your computer when you are away from it then? Interesting, please elaborate...

If I am not on it, It is turned off. But I have anti spyware running, virus programs, etc.

I have my firewall that is also active, and never run anything without my software firewall prompting me first. But it doesnt prompt me to open device manager. :D

I knew you'd find your way here :)

I happen to disagree, but then I don't feel like I'm a 'Joe' ;)

Good, then I won't need to waste my time defending you. :)

The info is relevant regardless of whether you're a relative of Joe Average, consumer that happens to own a PC, or not. While the old saying "Knowledge is power" is absolute rubbish, it really shines when you put it properly and say:

"Applied knowledge is power..."

It doesn't matter what on earth type of anti-anything you run. Stuff still slips through.

UAC, on the other hand, stops everything in its tracks before it has a chance to screw your system over. It's your last line of defense.

Not to turn this into something that explodes...but

I respect bbz (him because I know him as a strong advocate) and his decision about UAC. I'm just saying for me, (yes, even if stuff DOES slip through), I'd rather not use it. For me, fixing a problem when it comes around is less of a deal than having to mess with UAC all the time.

Like I said, that's me. My opinion is certainly not that of everyone.

What does all the time mean? Are you telling me/us that every stinkin' time you start an app on your machine or do anything at all you get a UAC prompt?

I don't believe you, and I wish people would stop saying all the time when that is such obvious bullshit it's barely conceivable.

When I used UAC, I found it to be a highly frequent annoyance. I didn't say anything about every time I open an app or anything of the like.

Like I said, NOT FOR ME. I realize it (obviously) IS for you, I don't see why it can't be reversed.

I'm not saying it IS for you, I'm saying you and others like you that choose not to run Vista with UAC enabled should find a better way to explain yourselves if asked why you choose not to keep UAC enabled and if you choose to respond at all, that's what I'm saying.

If you come out and say "I don't use UAC on my machine because <insert legitimate reason that you can back up with facts here>" that's cool and I have no beef with it.

But when people say "It pops up all the time" or things of a similar nature that is obviously bullshit, and anyone that knows anything about UAC and how it works - even those of you that know how it works and still choose not to enable it or go and disable it - will tell you "That's bullshit."

So have the courtesy and decency to respond with a legitimate answer other than "It pops up all the time" since that's incorrect. That's all.

If you hate it with a fuckin' passion, say so, I can handle it. If you simply don't want it around, I can handle that too. But don't say "It pops up all the time" as the reason for not using it because that's untrue. Get it?

People see that "It pops up all the time" and then believe it regardless of whether it's true or not, so stop spreading outright lies about UAC. It doesn't pop up all the time, it's not that intrusive and we all know it. If you don't, then perhaps some more research would come in handy.

This isn't personal, it's just that a lot of people read these forums so why bother giving them inaccurate or bogus highly tainted personal opinions when what they want and what they need are the cold hard facts and the fact is:

UAC does not pop up all the time.

'Nuff typed.

Things that "pop up all the time" are (one would think) inherently annoying. Like I said, I find it annoying. I'm sorry, I didn't think this was something I needed to fully explain myself on. Things I find annoying I avoid, as anyone would.

I didn't mean to give the impression that UAC is bad/wrong. As before, it's just not for me.

just remember disabling it can cause odd errors, such as when installing acrobat 8:

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50556

and apparently power dvd wont activate

i've seen the acrobat error first hand, i figured it was a problem with vista 64, and not with UAC which i had already forgotten about. so even people who hate it now have to hate it while its disabled :p

But when people say "It pops up all the time" or things of a similar nature that is obviously bullshit, and anyone that knows anything about UAC and how it works - even those of you that know how it works and still choose not to enable it or go and disable it - will tell you "That's bullshit."
The phrase, "all the time", is rarely used in a literal sense. It's almost always a rhetorical statement, not intended to be taken literally. Clearly UAC is not literally popping up "all the time", or else it would literally be impossible to use the computer (due to a pop up being focused on "all the time"). This exaggeration is common usage of the phrase.

Generally, the speaker of the phrase is trying to convey that the action in question is occurring at a rate significantly higher than normal, and/or than desired.

When I drink a lot of coffee, I have to piss "all the time". Having mentioned this to people on occasion, I have not once been accused of slandering the coffee companies. In fact, despite only having to use the washroom several extra minutes a day, which is not even remotely close to "all the time", people are able to figure out what I mean.

I'd encourage everyone to interpret posts accounting for everyday colloquialisms, etc., rather than reading them literally.

I would think after bzz's post, you would either post a legitimate reason for not using UAC (like he just stamped into the forums with such force I'm still having repercussions ;) ), or you would drop off due to not being able to provide one.

You didn't do either. You still maintain it does it "All the time" and it is annoying. Jimmy- we are not morons. I think anyone reading these forums, as well as bzz, know good and well that "All the time" is not literal.
Edit- after reading your next comment: The problem we are stuck on is wether it is very literal or extreemely blown up- UAC just doesn't prompt that much at all. Period.

Let me ask you a simple yes or no question. One word: Yes, or No.
Have you used UAC past initial configuration at all?

What I mean by that, is did you just install Vista, start installing applications, configuring settings, and customizing appearance and think "It is too much"?
Because people who base their whole experience on initial configuration are well... illogical.

Everyone here would agree when you are doing your initial configuration you get prompted very often. You are installing programs left and right,and making changes, which you don't change again! They are one-time changes!
Those are the keywords. You are basing your entire experience on items that are irrelevant once you start your daily use of the product. Anyone legitimate around here (As bzz stated- and we are quite fed up with the Vista BS going around- there are way too many anti-Vista or misinformed exaggerators out there) will tell you that Vista's UAC is hardly a problem day to day.

I get one prompt- if that- a day. I'm almost down to one every other day. I'm a power user. I change stuff all the time, and install new apps frequently. Yet I won't say UAC sucks just because I have to hit Continue when an installer wants permission to change some system files.

I will close with once again restating what was asked before. Give some examples of how it is prompting you "All the time".

Personally I use UAC. I don't find it particularly annoying myself and think the added protection is useful.

You seem to be reading "all the time" as a literal statement, when it is almost always not intended to be one. See my above post for clarification.

In a literal sense, it obviously isn't occurring all the time (this would literally prevent the computer user from doing anything at all on the machine). In a colloquial sense, it is very easy to see why someone might use that phrase to describe its behaviour.

Them some might big words there, son. Geez...

Joe Average, consumer that happens to own a personal computer, when seeing another Windows user say "Oh my god, that damned thing pops up all the time" is going to take that as a statement of fact, period.

So it irks me to no end to see people keep saying "all the time" whether they're being totally honest or completely facetious. It doesn't matter; what matters is that if they're going to speak up about why they don't run with UAC enabled, they should also say precisely why.

As I said, if people fuckin' hate it to death, that's a reason to me.

If they say they simply don't want to, that's a reason to me.

But when they use those words "all the time" in reference to the UAC permissions popups, people take that literally.

Think I'm being facetious myself? Go watch that Apple commercial where they are counting on Joe Average's average intelligence to accept that what they're saying ("Allow or Cancel... Allow or Cancel... Allow or Cancel...) is the truth and that running Vista is a fuckin' nightmare of permissions popups.

So, it comes down to people expressing opinions which is fine:

"I think UAC sucks, so I don't use it." End of story, nothing more needs to be said here.

or...

"I don't use UAC because I get sick of seeing those permissions popups all the time" which becomes a statement expressed as a fact to others. The person making the statement is saying the popups occur all the time when he/she/it uses the computer, hence giving the impression that fits right into the Apple commercials hope you'll believe:

That everytime you go to do pretty much anything under Vista the OS is going to ask for your permission.

And that's where expressing a statement as fact crosses the line because it's simply not true.

So express opinions all you want, I could care less. But when you express a statement as fact as I just explained, people will read it and say "Wow, that guy really can't stand UAC because of the popups, I guess I'm going to dislike it myself" and the damage is done.

I don't give Joe Average, consumer that happens to own a personal computer, much credit because I've dealt with Joe Average for 30+ years almost on a daily basis. I don't have much faith that Joe Average will ever really understand computers, and so I consider it my duty to make sure he/she/it at least learns something when I deal with him/her/it so they don't come back the next day asking the same questions again.

"Do it right the first time, or don't fucking do it at all."

Joe Average, consumer that happens to own a personal computer, when seeing another Windows user say "Oh my god, that damned thing pops up all the time" is going to take that as a statement of fact, period.
You honestly believe that someone reading a user opinion stating that UAC pops up "all the time" will believe that a UAC popup is appearing literally all the time? This would require them to believe a window is popping up at literally every moment in time.

Nobody is going to take that as a literal "statement of fact" as you have suggested. "All the time" is a hyperbolic phrase used to convey a point. I would wager that everyone who speaks English as a first language knows of its meaning.

Just like my example of having to use the washroom "all the time" from a previous post, people are well aware that it is a very context sensitive rhetorical phrase.

You give people too much credit, but that's fine, you're entitled to your opinions.

My experience says otherwise. Apparently, so does Apple's demographics. Go figure.

God forbid someone run their machine the way they want. :rolleyes:

and this thread has just derailed into the land of threads that end up locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back