Anyone here into 3D modeling?

J3ph_42

Weaksauce
I'm looking for tutorials on making characters for games. Specifically, I want to make characters for UT2004 with 3DSmax (any general info about just making 3D models for games is welcome).

i'm creeping up on the level of professional 3d guy...well sort of, i might be able to point you in the right direction but i would ask to come up with some more specifics as to what you are looking to know.

have you ever played wc3 frozen throne well ive played some maps where people modeled units for their map some of them were really good i looked into it then i realized it was too much work/skilled work for me

nice, i probably would have sent him to tutorialized but thats a good one too

also the joan of arc tutorial if you can find it is THE tutorial that tought me character modeling, however for ut2004 you most certainly do not need that level of detail

i'm creeping up on the level of professional 3d guy...well sort of, i might be able to point you in the right direction but i would ask to come up with some more specifics as to what you are looking to know.

I'm starting from scratch with this, I am having ref images made (and remember enough of from my technical drawing classes to know what I need there), and have done simple models (a few years ago plus some map making experience, am using the tutorials that come with Max to refresh my memory), but basically I have not previously modeled something like a person, with clothes, hair, joints, etc.

That looks useful, thanks.

have you ever played wc3 frozen throne well ive played some maps where people modeled units for their map some of them were really good i looked into it then i realized it was too much work/skilled work for me
what

nice, i probably would have sent him to tutorialized but thats a good one too

also the joan of arc tutorial if you can find it is THE tutorial that tought me character modeling, however for ut2004 you most certainly do not need that level of detail
I have never heard of it, but it can't hurt to look it up. Also, a lot of models that I have seen for UT2004 suck, from either a an artistic standpoint, a technical one, or both. I would have expected more with all the other usermade content that exists for that game. I've seen some stuff on tutorialized, but the site layout is so claustrophobic that it's hard to easily read anything. Assuming it isn't a dead link.

tubrosquid.com

best way to learn is to grab a free model, and just look at it. Starting with the tutorials for myself was confusing, and boring. So i pulled in a already made model, and try to reproduce it, and learned alot. When you run into any issues, use the help references, if you think there would be a tool or a modifier to do something, there probably is. I have been doing 3d modeling for two years now. And I am also learning something new, so don't get overwhelmed, start simple. Cheers, goodluck

tyrant

<3 the joan of arc tutorial

here's the linky =)

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Though a warning, it's been translated from French, so some of it takes a few moments to really get what the instructions are. Then again, I do the bulk of my modeling on the verge of falling asleep, so I'm sure that doesn't help any. =P
Thanks, I'll take a look.

tubrosquid.com

best way to learn is to grab a free model, and just look at it. Starting with the tutorials for myself was confusing, and boring. So i pulled in a already made model, and try to reproduce it, and learned alot. When you run into any issues, use the help references, if you think there would be a tool or a modifier to do something, there probably is. I have been doing 3d modeling for two years now. And I am also learning something new, so don't get overwhelmed, start simple. Cheers, goodluck

tyrant

I'll try that. also, Hi Shane!

Back