MSI Board: weird problem SATA/IDE

tripex

Gawd
Hello friends,

I have a stupid problem i need to solve, with your motherboarding help.

I'm running Windows XP from a SATA hard drive.
I have only one hdd on my computer.

Now, sometimes, friends bring their own hard drives to copy stuff, regular IDE ones.
If their hard drives have an operating system, my computer will boot from it, instead of my own sata drive.

And thats not what i want!

I have tried connecting the other drives as slave, secondary slave, to no avail!
It always boot from the IDE drive.

I checked all the settings on the BIOS but cant find anything relevant to make it always boot on the SATA controller.

Motherboard is MSI MS-7060 (661FM2) .
I have the latest firmware 1.20 (according to msi.com.tw ).

What can i do?
This is weird...

There should be an option in the BIOS to change the boot order of your drives, though you may have to set this each and every time someone brings a spare hard drive round.

In my BIOS it's under Boot -> Hard Drive Boot Order.

I dont have such a thing.

I do have the generic BOOT ORDER, but its like the SATA disk doesnt even count on that.

When my mobo boats, it doesnt show the SATA drive.

When the RAID LOADER loads, the SATA disk is shown there.

There must be someone who is able to help me on this one.

The [H] has never failed me before :(

Ok so i had this ingenuous strike of geniousity

Since the SATA drive is not being detected as a IDE drive at all, i thought, why not disable all IDE drives from the BOOT ORDER and ENABLE that option that says BOOT FROM OTHER DEVICES... and guess what.. it worked!!

I have two drives connected right now, my SATA drive and a friend's IDE drive, both have an operating system in them, but my computer is booting from my SATA drive as i expected.

Nice.

I had a similar, if not the same issue. It was an older version of windows on the HD i was trying to migrate some data from onto my XP machine, which the main drive was sata. I changed all the jumper settings I could, tried setting the boot priority different but it would not let the sata be first no matter what.

Not sure if updating the bios would help or not. In addition, the drive may have been bad. I ended up just getting a usb ide/sata drive adapter.

edit: good idea, that had not even crossed my mind, as i was in a bind for time : )

Ok so i had this ingenuous strike of geniousity

Since the SATA drive is not being detected as a IDE drive at all, i thought, why not disable all IDE drives from the BOOT ORDER and ENABLE that option that says BOOT FROM OTHER DEVICES... and guess what.. it worked!!

I have two drives connected right now, my SATA drive and a friend's IDE drive, both have an operating system in them, but my computer is booting from my SATA drive as i expected.

Nice.

There should be an option there to say boot from SCSI device in that list as well, that should force it to hit any PCI sata/ide cards or on board secondary sata/ide controllers.

Simple solution:
Award and AMI BIOS both have facilities to select a boot device on the fly.

At the post screen try pressing the ESC (Escape) key and you should get a boot menu that will allow you to select which device to boot from.

(If that doesn't work try pressing F11 at the post screen)

Back