How do you disable certain keys on a keyboard?

why? what key do you want to disable? theres several solutions to this, btw.

I have a feeling windows key :p More seriously, why the hell would you want to disable a key? Other than scroll lock (which i only used last 8yrs ago) there is not a single other key I don't use.

nono its not the windows key i already have winkey assassin :p but at the top right of my kb where there is usually prnt scrn and scroll lock and pause....i have power, sleep and wake. these keys are nothing but a pain in my ass and id like to disable them completely.

http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_windows_key/

You don't use scroll lock? I use it hundreds of times a day... I guess you only have one computer? Or you're using a sw kvm.

One computer only. I used scroll lock when I learnt programming in basic and from when you opened a large directory in dos without the /p.

To the OP try this. (I would have typed this but copy paste was the lazy way out)
"Disable the computer's ACPI feature

If you wish to disable all three of these buttons, you can disable the computer's ACPI feature in BIOS / CMOS. Additional information about how to enter the BIOS / CMOS setup can be found on document CH000192.

Once in BIOS / CMOS setup, you can disable ACPI in the power category. The location of this option is almost always different between all BIOS manufacturers and versions of BIOS.

Change the power option within Windows

Microsoft Windows XP users

By default, Microsoft Windows XP will prompt you what to do when the power button is pressed on the keyboard. If you wish to change this setting, follow the below steps.

1. Click Start / Settings / Open the Control panel
2. Within the Control Panel click Power Options
3. In the Power Options Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Power buttons, click the down arrow under "When I press the power button on my computer" and/or "When I press the sleep button on my computer" and select the action you wish to perform when pressing the key."

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000735.htm

An easier way to "disable" those power / sleep / wake keys on a keyboard (the person who though of putting them there should be shot) would just be to rip them out with a screwdriver. You'll NEVER screw up then.

Heh, no need to disable them in the BIOS... the advanced power settings is what you're looking for.

Alternatively, take keyboard, throw out of window, purchase new keyboard without said buttons :)

Much can be said for a SIMPLE keyboard design :)

This reminds of grade 9...way back when, about 9 years ago.

Our teacher was mad that all of us were playing games in our computer class. So first he disabled most things in windows using software solutions. However, we figured out how to get around them. So then he glued (YES GLUED!) down the alt, windows, and esc keys to prevent us from taking advantage of other getarounds.

Hilarious.

If you are really needing to disable keys (but without the glue), is it possible to simply take apart a few keys and place an object under them to prohibit them from being depressed?

I've disabled my caps lock key because it serves no purpose (Windows.) I'm currently looking for a way to disable it in *Nix.

Back