Arcygenical02 Redux

Arcygenical

Fully [H]
Whenever I get my system the way I like it, it will, without question, fail. Arcygenical02 has the uncanny ability to commit suicide literally 5-10 days after I get it the way I like it. It really enjoys the theatrical approach to ending its life; preferring sparks, fires and sending tiny MOSFET's flying across the room. When it breaks, I upgrade. This diabolical cycle continues for years on end (as it has since I started working with PCs, too many months ago) fating myself into draining my bank account, over and over again. But... I digress. If you're reading this, it's to see my worklog, not hear my complaints about forever-failing hardware. If you're here to see a worklog, then by damn! You'll get a worklog!

I'm not going to be changing any system components (other than getting a new motherboard from Asus), but I've come into possession of a beautiful Lian-Li PC-V1000B Plus 2 (I think Lian-Li is taking a page out of ATI's naming convention book!) and cleaning out my closet, I found a few assorted radiators, fans and cold cathodes. I decided to order a triple BIP Xflow radiator for the top, along with an AC Ryan Radgrill.

The main goals for this project will be, in this order:
  1. Noise Level
  2. Overclockability
  3. Cable and Tube Routing
  4. Overall Style

If any of you know me, which you don't, you'd know that a new project can easily consume every last cycle of brain power I possess. What better time to do an upgrade than the day after school ends, and I await the return of my pre-exam marks. As I eat, sleep, and breathe this upgrade process, you can imagine how hard it is to wait for my parts.

I can't.

And so, I break the cardinal rule of beginning to cut and solder my cables, before the case even reaches my door. Armed with (the larger versions of) these four images

resources.jpg

I begin my work.

First off, I hate wires. I HATE wires. Therefore, I'm going to be routing a few of the cables out the side of the PSU. You can see the 1" hole and 3/4 ID rubber grommet I've used for this task (PSU warranty what?). The single cable is lonely right now, but I can assure the hole will be populated with a few 4 pin molex connectors. Since the time of this photo, I've straightened out that 4pin connector, but I don't really care because you can't see it anyways.

psumod.jpg

Next up (images to follow in a minute or two) I'm starting my wire terminals. My cables live by the rule, "If you can't hide them, show them off," so I'll be employing a nice wire terminal for my sunbeam rheobus. Here's a quick (read: blurry) snapshot of the Blue connectors (sigh) that had to be painted black. Vinyl dye to the rescue!

terminalconnectors.jpg

After painting... They look identical, but black. I'll let you all visualize that one, rather than taking another picture ;)

Up next, we've got a beautiful photo of my radiator fans, lit only by the 7am sunlight. They're all soldered, heatshrink and sleeved. Yes, I was up until 7am to take this pic, and no I don't sleep... Ever.

fansunlight.jpg

Lastly, until I get the case in, I've got a pic of the beginnings of my wire terminal. From top to bottom (of the terminal) we have:
Radiator fans
CCFL set 1
CCFL set 2

The last 4pin connector on the rheobus will be reserved for something else, that I may or may not do, as time permits.

terminalcontroller.jpg

I've got some nicer heatshrink coming in to re-cover those 3 pin connectors... Not like anyone's gonna see them or anything. Also, yes, they're hot glued in. The last thing I want is for a pin to pop out (these are all self-crimped) having me to re-do the ENTIRE cable.

Update, 10pm Wednesday. 60 hours remaining.

What's with the time limit? Well, let's just say I've got the girlfriend coming over this weekend... And I'm not too sure that a room like this (see below) would fly with her ;).

lolmess.jpg

And... What do we have here? I got a nice package in the mail tonight, my new baby!

newbaby.jpg

Anyways... on to the update :)

First off, we've got more work done on the cable terminal, which I'll be (endearingly) referring to as "the squid." All the cables are cut, soldered, and put into place, ready to be bent into their proper positions, zip tied and mounted to the case (Cmon Fedex!). You can see the body of the terminal strip here.

fullsquid.jpg

Once again, I've got good heatshrink coming in to fix those tails, but it won't be arriving for at least 2 weeks (yay ebay :eek:).

Here we have the other end of the squid, complete with the ball snap connectors for the main rad fans, and another set of un-finished wires for the 2nd front radiator.

squidend.jpg

An up close shot of my horrible shrink-wrapping job (how DO you solder to those connectors?! The outside just melts, forcing Arcy to cut them off, and try to melt them back together when the wire's on).

buttonconnectors.jpg

Here you can see the dimmed cathodes (full brightness bleached the CCD on my camera :(). There will be 2 inverters, one for 4" red and one for 4" white, but I don't have the other one crimped yet. Yes, I do have another colour scheme in the works too. Some UV cathodes for late night gaming and benching. Wow, all that rust in my sink is from the vinegar that was in my rad! It's amazing how fast vinegar oxidizes the surface of stainless steel. Ew!

dimforeffect.jpg

And now, tonight, I leave you all with an up-close and personal shot of my radiator, equipped with 3 running 1200rpm yate loons. Ready to do it's cooling job, begging fedex for my case.

fansareon.jpg

(oh, and my dishwasher! Er... I mean "glass rinser")

Stay tuned, I've got lots to show you!

Update, 6pm Thursday. 40 hours remaining.

Wellll.... A bit of bad news and a tiny bit of good news. My case won't be arriving until MONDAY. I could drive over to British Colombia myself and pick it up faster than fedex can ship it to me, but I guess that's just the way things go. I DID get some goodies in today (as evidenced by my horrible picture below).

IMGP0971.jpg

What you're seeing is a HD mount, some rubber fan silencers, some silencing foam (for the look, not the noise benefits), some extra tubing and an AC Ryan radgrill. Now, I LOVE the grill and all, but damn... I think my girlfriend's 15 year old brother can spraypaint better than AC Ryan did! There's pits and valleys, some bumps, and it definitely doesn't look like it was sanded too well! I might fix it up tonight, as I've got nothing else to do :(.

Anyways, up next, we've got another radiator, a BIX 120 to be precise. It's going down by the HD cage. Beside it is my freshly painted pump, which you can see in the 2nd picture.

2ndrad.jpg

pump.jpg

Well, I guess that's it until (MAYBE) tomorrow... or probably monday. I might post some pics of my freshly repaired radgrill, as I'm fairly certain painting and sanding it will be next on my list.

Sigh... At least this gives me time to work on my other (less lucrative, but equally difficult) hobby... Growing things. Here you can see some romaine lettuce growing in a new growbox I made. Romaine is a great plant as it needs exactly the same amount of light as "other" plants, grows quickly, and is relatively impossible to kill. It remains bright green until you cut it, which makes for a pretty household plant.

2ndhobby.jpg

Update, 7:10pm Thursday. 38:50 hours remaining.

Alright, so... yeah. I'm definitely doing the radgrill tonight :). It's sanded and painted. it's currently drying on my "paint mat"

First coat's up. Light coats are the key with this spraypaint... Along with curing in an oven. Tremclad rustpaint: Avoid it if you can't control overspray (I swear the paint comes out of this can like maple syrup early in the morning... IE: all the fuck over your table and plate... Maybe that's just me :confused:) but damn does it dry nicely. Looks exactly like anodized aluminum when sprayed with a nice clearcoat.

firstcoat.jpg

And now, a pic of the airquality right after spraying. See, this is how committed I am to case modding. I'm willing to breathe in this painty smog (without a paint mask) to get the job done. Someone this committed deserves a job :) (anyone?)

airquality.jpg

Now, at first I thought that this radgrill was the product of a kindergarten fingerpainting class, but upon trying to paint it... I can understand the poor finish. It was HARD to find a primer that would really ahere to the aluminum... Must be some alloy that I've never painted before (never had a problem with the 1xxx and 2xxx alloys). After switching out the spray knob of my rust-paint to a wide conical spray (the stock one was shit, and not in the "B-A-N-A-N-A-S" sort of way) I finally got good adherence!

After 3 tries of sanding and painting the various primers and rust paints, the piece is FINALLY curing in my oven. Woohoo. Now, if only Fedex would come with my case. Sigh, I guess that's asking too much now isn't it?

Arcrygenical doesn't sleep. He waits. :p

Good work so far. What are the specs of the system?

Arcrygenical doesn't sleep. He waits. :p

Good work so far. What are the specs of the system?

95B-deluxe
E6300 (soon to be a Q6600)
8800GTS
1gb of OCZ platinum RAM (soon to be 2gb).
Water loop, etc.

And yes, I'm waiting... Waiting for fedex to stop being a prick and send my my radgrill / Case!

Good work Rory :)

I like what you've done with the place :)
Cant wait to see more pictures. And yes. You never do sleep.

Cant wait for more updates, and thanks for the constant advice / help .

Update, 9:00am Friday. 25 hours remaining.

Alright, So... I managed to get the radiator painted tonight. Let's look at some before and after comparison photos here ;).

Before:

radcame2.jpg

radcame1.jpg

Now... I know AC ryan makes some pretty good stuff... So, I'm sure this was just a fluke. But seriously, I'm pretty sure this grill was found at the bottom of a swamp, after sitting there for about 6-7 decades.

Now, onto the FINISHED photos.

raddone2.jpg

Mmm Mmm. Much better. A total of ONE drip mark, compared to the factory default of 11 drips, that makes me 91% better than a professional modding company. Wicked.

Here we have the rad sitting in the oven, curing overnight. It was heated to 300f, then closed and left to cool overnight. The next morning (aka 5 hours :eek:) it was still warm, which is a good sign.

radbaking.jpg

Ill be following this closely, may need to re-read how you did the fans, it certainly looks a lot cleaner.

Lol, you got paint all over your floor. I guess i can stop complaining about having to take my work onto the back porch to do the cutting and painting. ;)

Ill be following this closely, may need to re-read how you did the fans, it certainly looks a lot cleaner.

Lol, you got paint all over your floor. I guess i can stop complaining about having to take my work onto the back porch to do the cutting and painting. ;)

That's actually ALL paint dust... I'll upload a "clean" pic of my floor after Im don cleaning it all up. That paint just goes EVERYWHERE. It's a great finish, but you get a veritable mushroom cloud of dust :S

can't wait to see this build get finished up, gotta love working around the gf, i gotta find time to work around mine to install ball joints and outer tie rods on my car :eek:

btw sweet mouse, what model is it?

you might want to spray in a different location or cover up EVERYTHING (walls, floor etc) with something, spray dust gets everywhere. Trust me. I spray painted a lot in my kitchen, and when I moved the table I could not believe the colour differece between the part where the table foot stood and the rest of the floor. Since it builds up gradually you never notice until it´s to late to clean.

you might want to spray in a different location or cover up EVERYTHING (walls, floor etc) with something, spray dust gets everywhere. Trust me. I spray painted a lot in my kitchen, and when I moved the table I could not believe the colour differece between the part where the table foot stood and the rest of the floor. Since it builds up gradually you never notice until it´s to late to clean.

Normally, a very wise suggestion... But in my case, it's totally not needed. Since I've got a tile floor, the allmightly power of bleach + lighter fluid + 2000 grit sandpaper will take off ANY spray. Also, the mirrored backing to my hall can be cleaned with said concauction.

Since I have to re-paint the walls before I move out ANYWAYS, I don't particularly care if I get a blotch here or there.

as I said, i'll upload some "cleaned up" pics later :p. Bleach + lighterfluid cleans EVERYTHING. A veritable cleaner of the gods.

:eek: Nice find!

Yeah... I'll bet it was stolen. :eek:

Looks about the same as the Frozen-CPU one. [link]

I ask this because I want to find a fan controller I can mod into the tray of the Antec900, keeping it low profile enough to put a flush modder's mesh cover over it =).

Looks about the same as the Frozen-CPU one. [link]

I ask this because I want to find a fan controller I can mod into the tray of the Antec900, keeping it low profile enough to put a flush modder's mesh cover over it =).

It is the same one... But this one is substantially cheaper. You can de-solder those heatsinks from the PCB, and epoxy some RAMsinks onto the main chips. Keeps them cool enough, and buys you a few mm ;)

Update, 3:30 Friday. 12 hours remaining.

Up next I'm taking you all on a trip, as I don't get the case for a few days... Might as well take this chance to culture you on the downtown Toronto Technology epicenter.

Here, we have the pride and joy of our entire nation. Canadian Tire. That's right, this is the ONE store where you can run around blindfolded, grabbing random items off the shelves, and still be amazed by the wonderous contraptions that make their way into your cart.

ctire.jpg

Sadly, however, I got in trouble by the security guard for taking pictures inside the store :(. Hrmph.

Anyways, on the way back, I ran into this

LN2.jpg

A BIG vat of LN2. I HAVE to get me one of these.

Back at home now, I'm starting to work on a nice new circuit... This will control something nifty (if you know your electronics you'll understand it right away) that I'll be adding in when I get some cash (hint: it's expensive for what it is, but a damn fine piece of machinery).

beginning.jpg

And now the (ugly) finished project.

circuitdone.jpg

Stay tuned! Monday will bring some epic updates.

Looking hot! So are you going to school for Electrical Engineer, or are circuits just a hobby?

Nice liquid nitro photo!

Looking hot! So are you going to school for Electrical Engineer, or are circuits just a hobby?

Nice liquid nitro photo!

It's just a hobby... One i'm terrible at. Seriously, this is one of the first circuits that actually worked :p. I think those 9c PCB's are utter crap. I'll be uploading a video soon.

What have you got in that growbox man:p

Growbox? WHAT growbox :)

I'm GLAD I'm not the only one who loves Canadian Tire.

Also, did you buy the case from NCIX, by any chance?

I'm GLAD I'm not the only one who loves Canadian Tire.

Also, did you buy the case from NCIX, by any chance?

Yep, How did you know?! NCIX is great, but purolator (I've been calling them Fedex as lots of my american friends don't know what purolator is!) is taking their sweet time :(

LoL Rory. You bought it from ncix? You told me differently ;) hahaha

I live at Canadian Tire. ACtually just got back from there :p

I just picked up a Jigsaw. $15. I didnt need anything fancy. Yes it is jobmate :( but the amount of times I will be using it... $15. ;)

The RadGrill actually looked like that when you received it? That is odd.

and why does a tire store sell electronics parts and tools?

The RadGrill actually looked like that when you received it? That is odd.

and why does a tire store sell electronics parts and tools?

I know. I was seriously dissapointed with the grill. it looked like someone tried to paint it, then reboxed it and shipped it back to performance-Pcs... My 2nd order with them, both were bad experiences (although this was just a bit more work, nothing major).

And haha, Canadian tire sells EVERYTHING. It's like, a "backwoods" version of Lowes :p

very nice man ;)

Thanks, the best part has yet to come though :p

On a personal note, I'm over my food poisoning, so... I think I'll get the rest of my cables done today :)

I've been curious about the wiring of the fans for the RAD with them going into a RHEO. The fans I have are 1500rpm and since you end up wiring them in a series(correct me if I'm wrong), is there any effect on their max rpm?
Obviously, I'm planning on dailing mine down to shush them up a bit. I'm just curious as this is the first modification I have really ever done that doesn't involve cardboard & duct tape :D ..

/subscribed

I've been curious about the wiring of the fans for the RAD with them going into a RHEO. The fans I have are 1500rpm and since you end up wiring them in a series(correct me if I'm wrong), is there any effect on their max rpm?
Obviously, I'm planning on dailing mine down to shush them up a bit. I'm just curious as this is the first modification I have really ever done that doesn't involve cardboard & duct tape :D ..

/subscribed

The fans are actually all in parallel... Wiring them in series would lower their rpm values, but motors don't work like other electrical devices, so you can't assume they'd be 750rpm.

If you want to lower their speed, either use a rheobus (and run them in parallel) or use a 1w resistor :)

[Newb Question]
Okay, help Mr. Stupid here please :)

My assumption was that fan1 is spliced into fan2, which is spliced into fan3 which has the lead to connect to the rheobus & speed of all three are controlled there. Therefore all three fans are spinning at identical speeds.

Looking closer at the wire terminal, I could see how you extend the wires for each fan to the terminal as well now :confused:
[/Newb Question]

Sorry for the threadjack !!!.. you are giving me a bit of inspiration & I'm also getting a bit more inspired to do something maybe worthy of a worklog.

My assumption was that fan1 is spliced into fan2, which is spliced into fan3 which has the lead to connect to the rheobus & speed of all three are controlled there. Therefore all three fans are spinning at identical speeds.

__________________....+
...|.............|.............|
FAN1.....FAN2.....FAN3
__|_______|________|....-

is how they're hooked up. They're in parallel. I think we're on the same page here ;)

Looking closer at the wire terminal, I could see how you extend the wires for each fan to the terminal as well now :confused:

Not sure what you mean here... Mind clarifying a tiny bit?

Sorry for the threadjack !!!.. you are giving me a bit of inspiration & I'm also getting a bit more inspired to do something maybe worthy of a worklog.

:D Make sure to PM me if you do (or have any questions) I'd like to watch.

I assume that's a 555. homemade pwm controller?

Nooope. It's an optoisolation circuit revolving around the 4N35 IC. it'll pulse my front power LED while my computer is on standby :D

Well, as an update, I'm actually 90% done now. I got the case at 11am, and I worked until 3am. Now i'm exhausted, covered in aluminum filings, burnt, hungry, cold and tired. my bed is COVERED in aluminum, but I don't even care right now :D Gnight [H]ardforum.

Update, 2am Monday. 14 hours since Purolator stopped sucking, ponied up, and did their job

I think I can speak for everybody that's ever been in my situation... ABOUT FREAKIN TIME!

I got the case in, thank GOD... and I'm ready to dive right in. I'll save everbody (and my photobucket account :eek:) from the unboxing shots, as your good friend can easily help you out there. Yes, it's a beautiful case... I'm familliar with it's bigger brother, and the quality between the two is practically identical. There are a few design flaws (Lian-Li, ever heard of the 6-32 thumbscrew? No? orly...) but all in all, I'm very happy.

Alright, first up, the fan controller...

I took the normal front plates, drilled 4 (properly sized of course... read: haphazzardly guessed) holes, and attached the fan controller. Am I brilliant or what?
fancontrollerfront.jpg

And to think... Certain online stores want 30$ for one of these :p
fancontrollerinside.jpg

Here it is, installed into the case (note the messy work area. I've got about 2000sqft of stuff, in a 700sqft place. Go figure).
fancontrollerinstalled.jpg

And then, here's the squid... Installed and ready to go. It fit PERFECTLY into the drive rail screw-holes. I couldn't have asked for a better fit, No drilling required! It's looking really good (if I do say so myself).
squidcloseup.jpg

Now... the part I've been dreading for the last 4 days or so. Cutting the top for the radiator. I hate doing this... I've always hated doing this. I don't think anyone ENJOY's hacking the crap out of a 300$ case... But it has to be done. First, I'll drill all the holes.
radgrilldrilling.jpg

Then I trace her...
radgrilltracing.jpg

And hey... It actually didn't turn out so bad! (I've done this before yknow... at least 6 times now. I always hate doing it though). Yeah, those are my feet, awesome.
radgrillfinalcut.jpg

Yes, I have a thing against modding in socks. I hate it. Here's a test fit of the radiator and radgrill combo. Works pretty good, except for a few holes that need enlargement.
radgrillinstalled.jpg

Note my AWESOME ability to take a straight picture in that last shot... Yeah, I'm extremely talented, I know.

The rad, installed and perfected. Phew, time to clean up a bit.
radinstalledside.jpg

ALRIGHT! Time for some more updates :D

First of all, since I'm using an Xflow radiator, I've got to do a little bit of a hack to get water from the exit of 1 rad, to the entrance of the other... Thus:
radexitgrommet.jpg

You can see, a 1" hole with a rubber grommet installed... I'll route a tube down here, and through to the bottom of the case.

This is what I'll be using to get the water from the rad, outside that grommet. They're 5/8OD barbs (fun to put 7/16" tubing over them :eek:) so they won't hurt my flow-rate that much.
radexitpiece.jpg

Here, you can see the piece actually installed. It looks really good in person, and it fits within a mm of my measurements ;).
radexitinstalled.jpg

Next, since my D5 pump is loud as hell, I'll be zip tieing it into the bottom of my case. On the bottom of the pump, I've added a layer of rubber, the neoprene pad, and some silicone grommets to help decouple it from the case. It's also sitting on some sound absorbant matting.
pumpzipped.jpg

Here it is, feeding straight from the radiator and my Tline. Not the prettiest setup yet, but there's noting else I can really do... unfortunately. Wow, looking at this pic, you can see how poorly that BIX has been kept... Paint chipped everywhere, it's a total mess!
bottomradandpump.jpg

The next thing I had to do, was drill a hole for some of the cables to go behind the motherboard. a 1" hole for my p4 cable. Overkill much? I've covered it with electrical tape, as I didn't want to waste a precious grommet on something no one would ever see.
P4insert.jpg

Now... lets see if the board fits in properly...
boardtestfit.jpg

She does! That's great! The only problem is there's not enough clearance between the radiator fans (at the top) and the connectors for the power switch, HDD and PWR led... No use doing the mod if I can't get those connectrs attached ;). I managed to fix this by snipping and bending them 90'. They JUST fit...

That tube to the left, beside the squid, isn't going to stay there. It was an idea I had, that just didn't work out. Oh well :eek:

A bit closer look at the board with my camera's flash on.
boardcloser.jpg

Back