Trouble overclocking E6300 on Biostar TForce 965PT

ioan

n00b
Hello Everybody

I got a brand new E6300 + Biostar Tforce 965PT + Corsair TWIN2 XMS 2*512 DDR2 800Mhz (4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V) and I am unable to break 352Mhz on the FSB.

If I go beyond
- 352 Mhz w/ memory 5-5-5-15 and 800Mhz
- or 400 Mhz w/ memory 5-5-5-15 and 533Mhz

-->memtest always fails in test #8

Then I tried to bump voltages:
- bump CPU voltage from 1.325v to 1.4v
- FSB termination voltage from 1.2v to 1.4v
- MCH voltage from 1.25v to 1.45v

Even tried 400 Mhz w/ memory 6-6-6-18 and 533Mhz

I also upgraded to the latest Biostar Bios

Still no success

Any help will be highly appreciated - I really wonder what's wrong

Thank you

Ioan

I assume if you run at stock settings that the RAM passes memtest overnight? True?

Corsair has a reputation for making highly overclockable but somewhat voltage-hungry modules. I would suggest that you give your RAM 2.2v and see if that improves your results. Try 2.3v too. (I personally wouldn't go higher than that, but some would differ.) I'd keep the timings at 5-5-5-15 or even "Auto" during testing just to eliminate a few variables.

Also, most 965-based boards have a well-known "FSB hole" in the 340-399 range. I would say you should start your testing at 400 FSB or a bit above (like 405ish). Hope this helps, and good luck.

Hmm, try only doing +.1v on the FSB and MCH

Try pushing your CPU voltage to 1.5 (not necessarily to run for any extended period, just to see if it will be stable)

Also, you didn't mention trying to up the memory voltage at all. Try 2.2 or even 2.3 volts on the memory. (If you do 2.3 volts make sure theres some air running over the heatspreaders)

From the sound of it, your memory isn't performing at its rated speeds... That board should be fine for overclocking, at least Anandtech loved it.

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to your questions:
- memtest runs fine at stock speed
- the memory if already at 2.2V (cannot go beyond) - BIOS reports 2.16v

I am reading more and more that this board is very picky to memory --> I start wondering if Corsair is a good fit for this specific board

Any other thoughts guys?

Anyway, thank you for your help

Also, another question: if I run the FSB at 400Mhz and the memory at 1:1 (533 in the BIOS), the memory should not even be overclocked because it will run at 800Mhz --> that is why I wonder why I should bump the memory voltage
Does this make sense?
Ioan

Also, another question: if I run the FSB at 400Mhz and the memory at 1:1 (533 in the BIOS), the memory should not even be overclocked because it will run at 800Mhz --> that is why I wonder why I should bump the memory voltage
Does this make sense?
Ioan

that's why i was saying that it looks like your memory isn't performing at its rated speeds... i think your best bet would be to try and get some different memory :(

I already payed $150 for the pair - I can't afford changing ... I really thought Corsair was the right memory to go with :confused:
What memory would you recommend?
Ioan

I really like my Buffalo Firestix, but when all was said and done it was about $100 more than your Corsair for a 2gb set. I can clock these up to 550mhz on the FSB (although I run them lower than that at tighter timings)

Let me ask you something else - as it is not working at FSB 400Mhz and RAM 800Mhz (1:1), why would the memory be an issue and not the board itself? After all, the memory works pretty well at stock speed - which is also 800Mhz
See what I mean?
Ioan

While I dont like the sound of memtest failing, I wonder ? ....

Are you using the latest memtest+ (use the beta if you have to )

Does it post and load windows at say 410 FSB memory 920MHz 5 5 5 15 ?

Run Orthos

My concern is you mentioned only one very specific test for your testing. It would be strange but there could be some memtest <-> biostar voodo going on.

Thats good memory,

going to google memtest test 8 and see what I get,

That didnt take long :D lots of posts about rigs failing test 8 on perfectly good memory.

I would ignore it, set timings to 5 5 5 15 vcore 1.4 or less memory to 1:1 and starting from a known stable FSB start raising the fsb slowly till it wont load windows or post.
clear cmos as needed to get back up, set FSB like 30MHz lower than the no-post get in windows and run orthos and coretemp and really start to tweak/stability check.

Keep notes, it helps. ;)

Plan on scrambling the windows installation at least once :eek:

This is interesting: http://shsc.info/Memtest86

Thanks Bill for your answer.

I do not use Windows, but Linux (yes I know, you will make fun of me - like many others do - but I really enjoy my Ubuntu :D and I don't think I will switch back to Windows).

I can boot and the system works pretty well at FSB 400Mhz. I then ran some stress tests - obviously not the same used in Windows - basically, I ran simultaneous compilation of kernels and other software (using GCC) - and then I noticed random errors - which I never had before.

I tried to tweak many things (changing voltages, etc ...) but an FSB of 352Mhz is the best I could get w/o compilation errors - and this matched memtest results.

Now, I liked memtest because it doesn't include any southbridge operation (network, sound card, etc ...) so it is great to test only processor & northbridge.

I will double-check your link (thank you by the way). I have also been told that Linux is much more memory intensive than Windows is - so it could be one of the problems.

Thanks again - any thoughts / help is welcome :)

Ioan

Noooo, don't say such things. I am recieving an Biostar P965 and E6400 Core 2 Duo tomorrow and will be pairing it with the cheap G.Skill 2x1GB DDR800. Making me scared :( .

You should not be scared - your memory was used in many tests - this is what I should have bought myself. It is a great board, I am sure it will work great :)

I have an e6400, biostar 965pt and 2x1gb g.skill gbpk. and i thought i was having trouble OCing mine, it wouldn't go past 330, and i then it was untstable getting a 1:1 divider, i was doubting the biostar board, but it turns out it was my crappy OCZ modstream 450 PSU. After removing some unneeded thigns i was able to hit 400 fsb with ease

What BIOS version are you running? The 2 best BIOS versions are the 914 and 921 rebels haven versions. I would advise against running the newer 103 bios. You can find the 914rh BIOS here.

For help with the motherboard, check this forum.

My Biostar P965PT has been running 7x443 since early December. Some users get theirs up to around 500MHz fsb. Most are able to achieve 450+.

Do not increase the MCH voltage!!!!! Set memory voltage to 2.2v using the jumper. Increase CPU to 1.4v or so. It shouldn't need any more than that. Step it down once you're stable. Most likely the BIOS versions you're running have Spread Spectrum hidden and thus enabled. Also, disable C1E and Thermal Throttling.

This board is great and I'll take it over the DS3 any day of the week (JMicron JMB363 support in linux is horrible and the Marvell onboard ethernet uses a broken driver that has been in EXPERIMENTAL phase for over a year). Biostar P965PT on the other hand uses Via VT6410 for PATA and Realtek GigE chipset that _just_works_ in linux.

Thank you Jeenam for your input.

I use the latest official Biostar Bios. I tried the one you told me & deactivated all the new funcky processor features - no more luck - whatever I do, I am stuck to an FSB of 352Mhz.

I also unplugged all vents, unused drives, etcc (I have a 425W Enermax) - the test still failed (later on, but still failed).

I am trying to return the RAM (bought less than 1 month ago at Zipzoomfly) - hope that will work

Any other thought is welcome :)

Thank you to all of you for your help

Ioan

Back