To Buy Or Not To Buy??

shivang222

Limp Gawd
XPS 710 Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 (4MB L2 Cache,2.93GHz,1066 FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
Keyboard Dell USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard
Monitor 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Video Cards 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive (10,000RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive or Media Reader Included
Mouse Dell Optical USB Mouse
Modem No Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
Optical Drive Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Sound Cards Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
Security Software Norton Internet Security™ 2006 Edition 15-months
Warranty and Service 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service
XPS Specialized Support XPS, Specialized Support
Internet Access Service 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
SYSTEM DETAILS 2.5MM aluminum thickness Chassis with front & back customizable LEDs
SYSTEM DETAILS 7-slot, BTX design motherboard
SYSTEM DETAILS 750-watt Power Supply
SYSTEM DETAILS Tower Six-heat pipe, Copper base Heat Sink with aluminum fans
SYSTEM DETAILS Two 120mm x 38mm front fans
Upgrade to Windows Vista No Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Selected
Dell Digital Entertainment No preinstalled software

Should i get quad-core?? any other suggestions? should i change something or is that a good choice??

If you are willing to spend this much money on a system, why not build your own for much, much less? If you are knew to it, get advice here.

If you absolutely much stick with a Dell, only get 2GB of RAM, or even the cheapest option then pick up 2x2GB sticks to replace them. It is better to have 2 sticks than 4. You are also missing speakers, unless you already have a nice set. Quad-core will become more useful in the coming years, so if you don't plan on purchasing again soon go ahead and get it. Oh and be sure to get a copy of the Windows XP cd so you can reformat as soon as you get it and reinstall without all the bloatware. I noticed a huge increase in performance after removing all the crap on my notebook.

That's a nice rig you have listed there.
I'd go for some faster RAM, 800Mhz maybe, and it could easily be dropped down to 2GB; what are you planning on using the system for?
As for quad core, personally i believe it's pretty useless at present, considering the cost. When quad core is needed the current quad processors will be outdated, so i think its best to wait for before you go quad.

That's a nice rig you have listed there.
I'd go for some faster RAM, 800Mhz maybe, and it could easily be dropped down to 2GB; what are you planning on using the system for?
As for quad core, personally i believe it's pretty useless at present, considering the cost. When quad core is needed the current quad processors will be outdated, so i think its best to wait for before you go quad.

I was only suggesting to go quad if he wasn't planning on buying a new system for many years.

Also one other thing, you might as well get an express upgrade for Windows Vista, because you will have a nice computer for it as well as a DX10 graphics card.

yea well i have nice speakers and i got vista already...im confused with the quad-core..
as for memory it turns out a lot more expensive getting it seperately since im gettin like 30% with the whole system... do you still think i should get it?

That is a nice build, but I still think you should buy all the parts yourself and build your own machine, it will be faster and cheaper. :p

If you built it yourself, it would be more worth your money, since you'll be able to OC. I don't believe you can OC with that XPS, and these intel chips are so easily overclockable, it would be a waste if you couldn't OC it. If you don't want to build it yourself, go for a Velocity Micro system instead of an XPS.

Like the others said, you'd be much better off either building it youself or choosing an alternative retailer to built it for you.
In my opinion Dell systems are way too overpriced, offer minimal expandability and virtually no overclockability.
So it might be worth trying out some other companies and see what they have to offer for similar prices.

And the worst part about Dell is all the bloatware.

And I think that system might be a bit overkill for a 20" widescreen, you'd be better off with a 24" at least, if not 30" if you can afford it.

i have to get from dell since i can build a lot of a better system with it and im gettting like 30% off.... also does the screen size matter? what do you mean a 20inch screen is not enough for that system?

That processor and graphics card can easily give you great frame rate and image quality on a 24" screen and possibly even a 30".

Sure a 20" will work, but it'd look better on bigger. :-P

So what's your final price for all of that? give us the price you're getting it for, and we can tell you if its worth it.

If it's $3500+. I wouldn't buy it and still build one and get a bigger screen. No sense spend that much when it's going to get outdated in no time. Plus, an E6600 C2 can easily match the X6800 at a fraction of the cost.

it is like LESS THAN $3,200!!!! ITS GONNA GET OUTDATED IN NO TIME?????

and i tried building it and it was more expensive.....

it is like LESS THAN $3,200!!!! ITS GONNA GET OUTDATED IN NO TIME?????

and i tried building it and it was more expensive.....

Its pretty obvious you just priced the most expensive machine and posted it, because theres no way you have use for this stuff (unless you are doing cad work or something else like that), and if you were you'd go for a quadro video card.

Yeah, its a great machine. So what? BTW, those dell coupons aren't anything special. They get much higher then 30% and theres a new one every minute.

PS- Media center edition can't even use 4GB memory... it can only address like 3.2GB RAM in a 32bit OS.

Way to waste money.

The benefit of an X6800 is its unlocked multiplier, for extreme overclocking. The Extreme Edition chips used to have more cache, but as you can see, the lower chips have the same 4MB cache, too. Since its a dell, you wont be able to OC the X6800, so there really is no point in getting one in a dell xps, lol. Most C2D chips can reach the same speed, so unless you're going for the max, watercooled overclock, an X6800 isn't worth its price.

If you build it yourself or go with a better OEM, you'll have the ability to OC past the X6800 stock speed -- quite easily, I might add. Also, most of your parts will have at least a 2-3yr warranty instead of Dell's 1yr warranty.

One expensive system to last many years isnt as good as several less expensive systems built throughout the years. Why? because you can't predict the future.

try to get them to upgrade you to Vista... no sense spending all this money and not upgrading the OS

Back