Official Dell 2707WFP Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Yet another review where they don't test any inputs other than DVI or verify whether HDCP actually works on this monitor. You'd think that after all the problems with the 2407 that review sites would really put this new monitor through an exhaustive set of tests, but this seems not to be the case. At least there doesn't seem to be any color banding this time (over DVI at least). But what about input lag? Component input quality? HDCP? Unfortunately it seems that the only way we learn about these types of problems is from disappointed customers.

I really hope this monitor fixes all of the 2407's flaws. I expect this price to drop drastically to compete with the Samsung 27 inch, and then, knowing Dell, it'll probably be possible to get some really great deals on this, maybe even comparable to some of the other 24 inch models on the market. In any case, I'm glad to see bigger monitors becoming more mainstream -- at the very least, I'd expect to see the huge difference in price between the 22 and 24 inch models drop drastically over the next year.

At the Whirlpool.net Forums, someone called Dell Customer Support to confirm resolution modes, and this is what he was given:

VGA DVI Component
480i No Yes Yes
480p No Yes Yes
720i No Yes Yes
720p No Yes Yes
1080i No No Yes
1080p No Yes No

There's also a menu option, as revealed in the online manual, which allows the selection of 1:1 pixel mapping - has the 1080p problem with the 2407s been resolved? It's hard to say, given that information, but for $1400, it had better...

It's too bad that ExtremeTech review is so undetailed - we really need confirmation on a few of these topics.

Here's another review at PCWorld.com - even more vague than the ExtremeTech review, but they still gave it a very positive score.

As I've said in other threads, I'm perfectly willing to buy this monitor - I'm just waiting for confirmation from someone that 1:1 pixel mapping is indeed available on all resolutions, and that there aren't any major glitches or bugs.... oh yeah, and a $400 price drop (Wake the hell up, Dell).

Can we expect there to be a $300-400 pricedrop by the time those Samsumg 27" LCDs hit in Feburary? 'Cuz, uhh... I'm kind of getting a bit antsy... I've waited a really long time for this set.

VGA DVI Component
480i No Yes Yes
480p No Yes Yes
720i No Yes Yes
720p No Yes Yes
1080i No No Yes
1080p No Yes No
So, according to this chart, there's no way to connect an Xbox 360 to this monitor over VGA at either 720 or 1080? That's going to disappoint a lot of Xbox fans, I'd think, unless the component inputs on this monitor are stellar (which was apparently not the case for the 2407).

Can we expect there to be a $300-400 pricedrop by the time those Samsumg 27" LCDs hit in Feburary?
I'd certainly hope so. $1000 would be much more reasonable, given the $999 retail price for the Samsung. I was hoping to see this monitor retail around $1000 -- in that case, with the usual Dell discounts, I'd expect to be able to get this monitor for around $800, which would make it a killer buy (assuming that there are no glaring flaws).

Will the Samsung have a 92% color gamut like the Dell 27" and the NEC 26"? I didn't see it mentioned in announcements of new Samsung displays, which focused instead on 3,000:1 contrast ratio. If not, I'd guess the Dell might come down some in price but remain more expensive than the Samsung.

Will the Samsung have a 92% color gamut like the Dell 27" and the NEC 26"? I didn't see it mentioned in announcements of new Samsung displays, which focused instead on 3,000:1 contrast ratio. If not, I'd guess the Dell might come down some in price but remain more expensive than the Samsung.

I highly doubt it will have 92% as its priced allot lower.

is contrast ratio and brightness are more important than size or resolution?

VGA DVI Component
480i No Yes Yes
480p No Yes Yes
720i No Yes Yes
720p No Yes Yes
1080i No No Yes
1080p No Yes No

So VGA supports no resolution at all? you'd hope it would support 1280x768 through the VGA but this suggests it doesn't... Ahaha, if that's true, Dell have really shot themselves in the foot there. Also no 1080p through component, oh dear! I wouldn't touch this monitor if it was the same price as the 24", if this is the case.

Most wont care but I just read that it’s actually heavier that the 3007 30” LCD. :( I really wanted to put two of these on me LCD arm but the 30” are just a bit too heavy and I was thinking that the 27” would be a little lighter. :(

first 2707 image.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/staffordo3

i've had problems uploading pictures so it will take some time to get the rest up.

Answers:
1.sorry don't have an xbox, can't check it.
2. DVD's looked pretty good, will post image asap. I'll also have a blue ray player with 1080P media next week.
3.I checked for Input lag and couldn't see anything noticeable, running a clock side by side with a 2407 produced the same result.
4.Panel is a Samsung

gotta get some work done this week ;).

isn't pixel pitch too big when sitting close to screen (50cm)?

Someone on the widescreengamingforum.com noticed a very short blurb 'review' of the 2707 on another site. Here's the link:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=561568&p=8

Here's a quote of that post:
Arrived No dead pixels, No banding, text is sharp so that's a good start.

Pro's
- You can really tell the difference in the range of colours, anyone using photoshop will appreciate it.
- Easy setup- Out of the box i didn't have to do much calibration
- 1:1 Aspect Scaling works perfectly
- Video Resolution support 720P, 1080P though DVI looks awesome, 1080i component is ok.
- Style & Usuability - It looks great and is height adjustable and swivels.
- All the usual connectors usb,9-2 media reader, component, composite, svideo,dvi-hdcp and vga. btw, vga playing video worked fine.
- A cloth to clean the black glass base " they thought of everything" lol.

Cons
- No hdmi connector so i bought a Belkin- DVI-HDMI cable for $30 from Dell. I haven't got a PS3 but the word from the Dell monitor forum is it works and looks great.
- No Pivot landscape to portrait - i guess it's tough when your monitor is 27"

I highly doubt it will have 92% as its priced allot lower.

The Samsung 275T will have 92% color gamut, since both the 275T and the 2707WFP use the exact same Samsung S-PVA panel, the LTM270M1. The only difference between them in terms of panel features is that the 275T will have dynamic contrast (up to 3000:1) while the 2707WFP does not.

What kind of panel is this thing?

Both the Samsung 275T and the Dell 2707WFP use the Samsung LTM270M1 S-PVA panel.

but NEC will have smaller pixel pitch?

The 26" (25.5") NEC LCD2690WUXi has a pixel pitch of 0.2865. The Samsung 275T and the Dell 2707WFP have pixel pitches of 0.303. All three have a native resolution of 1920x1200.

Right now I'm planning on purchasing the Samsung 275T as soon as it's available next month. I want it over the Dell 2707WFP because I want the dynamic contrast feature. Plus, I think the 275T is more attractive than the 2707WFP.

The Samsung 27" has the swivel base over the Dell but, does it offer PIP support where all the inputs can be displayed in the PIP? I wish it would come out sooner so..I can see it first hand so..I still have time to return my 24". At 27" I'd be content at that size.

Looks like these monitors showed up at costco.com. I had hoped the prices would have been better there, but Costco is asking $1400USD.

Looks like these monitors showed up at costco.com. I had hoped the prices would have been better there, but Costco is asking $1400USD.

I saw this last night and was excited at first sight but then amazed that its still going for that rediculous price. Guess I gotta wait a month or so. Hopefully I can still buy it through Costco then...I'd much rather pick one up from them in case something's wrong with it.

So VGA supports no resolution at all? you'd hope it would support 1280x768 through the VGA but this suggests it doesn't... Ahaha, if that's true, Dell have really shot themselves in the foot there. Also no 1080p through component, oh dear! I wouldn't touch this monitor if it was the same price as the 24", if this is the case.

Sounds like something to do with Vista Premium Content Protection. :rolleyes:

Good to know the Sammy has 92% as well.Didnt think it would,I stand corrected.What was your source on that info darklight_tr ?

Good to know the Sammy has 92% as well.Didnt think it would,I stand corrected.What was your source on that info darklight_tr ?

Well, the only 27" panel Samsung makes (LTM270M1) has 92% color gamut, so it would be hard for the 275T to not have it. :)

Ironically, none of the news sites mention the 92% color gamut despite the fact that the 275T has it. DailyTech comes the closest by referring to the panel that the 275T uses:

Samsung 275T @ DailyTech

Does anyone know when it will be released in Europe and at which price ?

this may well be quite sad of me to notice, but it looks like the new 2707WFP featured on 24 last night!

612782726aq.jpg

pdvd0042dh.jpg

lucky old Bill Buchanan with the first model! :pCTU seem to use a lot of Dell's, looks like they got a nice advanced release

this may well be quite sad of me to notice, but it looks like the new 2707WFP featured on 24 last night!

lucky old Bill Buchanan with the first model! :pCTU seem to use a lot of Dell's, looks like they got a nice advanced release

I bet they got it for free too.

We got ourselves some user impressions...(From Whirlpool.net Forums)

Here is a long awaited review – took me an hour to write – thanks for the patience!
I think I have read quite a bit of other people reviews on various monitor – especially you Casper! Now I can contribute to the forum.

From purchase to delivery is 68 hours - surely close to the record! Well done to Dell.

Setup :

Unpacking the monitor from the box is actually quite tricky. Better done with two people than one. Basically with the new Dell monitor stand design there is this big hinge arm on a rotatable base. The base is quite substantial - giving sturdy support to this 27” monster. I seriously didn’t have a clue to which way you are suppose to lift this giant out of the box. Lifting it from the two side worked for about 5 seconds before I felt the arm start moving up and down, while applying uneven force to the side made this monster baby to rotate. Anyhow after 5 minutes or so of cautious manoeuvring I managed to wiggle it out of the box.

The monitor came attached with a good old VGA cable – basically the default input is on VGA and that’s why there is a piece of paper to tell you to connect this blue VGA adapter to your computer first – before switching to DVI.

I don’t know why this step is needed as I am already connected via DVI to my old monitor. I guess Dell is being conservative and going for the lowest denominator. I followed the instruction anyway but it meant that I had to switch to my laptop display to see my Windows, switch my video card to output VGA and then back to DVI!

Inputs: (Tested so far: VGA/DVI/Composite)

The PQ when connecting the monitor via VGA is not very impressive – I can clearly spot some mis-colouring (sort of too yellowy/orange tints) at the edges – In any case it doesn’t look natural. Switching to DVI resolved the problem. So my recommendation is to connect this via DVI at all time and don’t bother with VGA. You may want to turn down the brightness of this monster as even at 50% - it’s very bright – especially white.

To test out the composite input - I connected my Wii to it. If you view the monitor sitting right in front of it – you will be disappointed. I wouldn’t say this monitor is making any effort in upscaling the image (Is there any comp monitors out there that do upscaling?) . You can clearly see all the rough pixels. Worst still is the flickering – most noticeable around the edges. Switching between 480i/60Hz and 576i/50Hz doesn’t make much of a difference to the flickering but the PQ is slightly better at 576i/50Hz. I don’t really know much about the difference between the two except I think one is PAL and the other one is NTSC but then again the Wii is always outputting PAL signals so I am a bit confused on this point. I don’t have the EDTV cable yet to test the Component in from the Wii but given that it says the resolution is 480p I don’t expect much improvement in PQ (perhaps it will help reduce the flickering).
So what to do? Stand 2-3 meters back – that made the pixilation less pronounce but I could still detect a bit of flickering nonetheless. Anyway if you play the Wii – you want to give yourself as much room as possible and make sure the controller doesn’t accidental slip and make a big dent into this little precious baby.

PIP/PBP:

These are fun features to have but probably won’t be very practical to use. One point to note is that there seem to be a bug in the PBP mode. If you are in that mode and disconnect the analogue source – there seems to be no way of getting out of PBP mode as no matter which key you press it will have a OSD message saying no signal is detected and force you to select between the 3 analogue sources (S-Video/Composite/Component). So make sure you get out of PBP model before switching off your Wii/VCR/DVD, etc. I guess this is a minor blemish on an otherwise “fun” feature.

DVD/SD Video Playback:

After watching a DVD/SD Video on this monitor – you would have convinced yourself it’s time to go out and purchase a HD-DVD drive or Blu-Ray drive =) Enough said!

On a side note:

Vista doesn’t seem to like RPC-1 DVD drives - at least when it is combined with WinDVD8 or Media Player Classic. I kept getting Region Lock Error. But Windows Media Player was able to play the DVD. Strange. I wonder what Vista will do to HDCP movies as I don’t have an HDCP enabled video card =(

WMV HD / HD H.264/AVC Playback:

It would have been impressive.
No ghosting detected. Colour reproduction is no doubt very impressive. Since this display is not 16:10 you get a bit of black bar on either end (just under 3cm each end) I guess it’s acceptable – but would have been nice if the display is truly 16:9.
-- now - except that my comp can’t keep up decoding the video – dropping frames left right and centre. I got a Pentium-M 750 (1.86GHz) and a Geforce GO 6800 – can anyone suggest a way to make sure my comp is able to keep up with decoding 1080p/i materials?

The materials I tried so far:

Step_into_Liquid_1080 (WMVHD) – Both sound and picture are jerky.

Dolphins_1080(WMVHD) – 50% watchable. The blue sea and sky are rendered very nicely by the monitor. And the occasional bright sunshine that get shown through was displayed with perfection. Seem like the sun is really coming out of the monitor!

nasa_shuttle-r_m720p (AVC) – 70% of video is smooth. Some stuttering now and then.

bbc-r_m720p (AVC) – Watchable. Still a bit jumpy when changing scene. Should get this one to show the vivid colour this monitor cam reproduce. Simply stunning!

Channel 7 - HD showcase (MPEG2) – hmm more like SD showcase to me @ 1024x576. Enough said.

Conclusion:

I think this is an excellent monitor – think Dell had fixed up the issues they had with the 2407, but still a bug here or there that they can fix up for rev01 I guess
As to the .303 pixel pitch. I am fine with it – got bad eyesight anyway – so the bigger the merrier! I am sitting 1 meter from this monster – but yeah seem to be only able to concentrate at the middle of the screen (or the portion of area I am looking at) At this distance I didn’t have to move my head from side to side (as suggested by some people) – But it will give your eyeball a workout if you are watching a tennis match on it.

Some users in the thread asked for some input lag details, so I hope he fills us in :)

I got my 2707wfp in yesterday. I don't have time to write a full review now, but I really like this monitor. I upgraded from a Sony SDM-P234/B (great monitor for its time). Games are amazing and I don't have to strain reading text.

I got my 2707wfp in yesterday. I don't have time to write a full review now, but I really like this monitor. I upgraded from a Sony SDM-P234/B (great monitor for its time). Games are amazing and I don't have to strain reading text.
So no discernable lag that you've noticed so far? How do first-person shooters play?

I've played BF2 for about three hours. Very immersive. No lag or ghosting. I came in first about four out of ten games (about par for me). I played Medieva 2: Total War most of today. Looks great and plays great. Again, no lag or ghosting. I'm running two 7900GTX in SLI, E6700, 2Gigs of RAM.

The text is noticably larger but very clear and crisp. Photos look amazing and games look amazing. In my opinion the dot pitch does not look bad at all. I was concerned about this, but I am now very pleased with my purchase. Remember, Dell has a 21 day return policy for all of you on the fence. Dell told me that they would refund the difference if the price went down during that period.

Definitely want one of these. But not a chance in hell am I paying 1400 bucks for one. I hope the other 27"ers come out soon so the price wars can begin.

The only attracted feature for me about this dell is the new design. I hope they will implement it on their other models as well. IMO, all their monitors look cheap because of the stand, except for this one.

Back