Any FREE service for port aliasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperG

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is any service out there that offers free port redirection to get around a blocked inbound port by the ISP. For example, if I wanted to run a webserver on port 8080 or something, is there a service, that when my www.hostname.com is typed in, it is resolved and sent directly to port 8080 on my machine, but without having to add that to the end of the host name. Obviously this service would also need to be able to do DNS resolutions for non-static ip addresses. I have already checked out dyndns and no-ip, and both obviously have the DNS resolution for free, but both seem to charge for the port aliasing service. Any ideas on a free service like that, or other ways around the blocked inbound port 80. Thanks in advance.

SuperG

If you read the entire post he mentions he already checked dyndns and supposedly it's not free. I don't know as I don't use them much any more.

wouldn't you set that with your hostname provider when you tell them your primary and secondary dns servers. Then you would configure the :8080 on your dns server. I believe this is how major webhosts do it. They may have a few ip's with 20 or so websites on it but the header information tells them what port to go to.

Did it back in college so I know it can be done. If you are using IIS you just configure the host header to use FQDN and specify the port.

This is kinda vague but it's a start. Look up IIS virtual servers and Fully Qualified Domain Names(FQDN) if your are using IIS that is. If not your web server of choice should support it.

DNS doesn't do much of any thing when it comes to port numbers (except in the rare case of SRV records). As such the Fully Qualified Domain Name does not include the listening port. By default any browser will simply attempt to connect to port 80 for HTTP or 443 for HTTPS unless other wise specified by the user. The only other way around this is to have some sort of port or HTTP redirection to get the browser in the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back