Max RAM supported by Windows 98??

plasma

Gawd
I was wondering if anyone knows how much RAM Windows98 will support? I'm trying to help someone out that only uses it for CAD programs, and doesn't want to deal with upgrading and replacing all the software

98 supports a maximum of 512MB of memory. If you install more you run the risk of getting random "Out of Memory" errors. Go figure.

That website says to edit the win.ini file, which is wrong, it's the system.ini file you edit.

plasma said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how much RAM Windows98 will support? I'm trying to help someone out that only uses it for CAD programs, and doesn't want to deal with upgrading and replacing all the software

I'd take a look at what programs they are using. If the program are compatible with win 2k, win xp or vista I'd more him over. The reliability improvements alone are worth the switch, not to mention the security. Besides, anyone doing CAD work should be able to afford a few thousand for new software.

The most I could ever get to run stable was 1 gig,and even that was a little flakey. 768mbs ran rock solid with the MS workaround .

AutoCAD 2000? it will work just fine in 2000. 98's Memory managment flat out sucks.

BIGDADDY51 said:
The most I could ever get to run stable was 1 gig,and even that was a little flakey. 768mbs ran rock solid with the MS workaround .

Same here

BIGDADDY51 said:

add another to that list, i run 768mb on a 1gig P3 coppermine for a 98/Dos gaming machine.

Back