What is wrong with gamespot?

Grahf

Weaksauce
[rant]
Ok yeah I know, i understand marketing and they are going to sell their souls to highest bidder, but this shit is just REDICULOUS. Gamespot has placed a VERY annoying 360 ad on only the ps3 and wii pages, i don't know how long this will last but i'm boycotting gamespot news till they get rid of this crap. I feel like i'm looking at a god damn magic eye book or something trying to find the text... can't they at least TRY to be subliminal... jesus

ps3
ps3.jpg

wii
wii.jpg

[/rant]

Grahf said:
[rant]
Ok yeah I know, i understand marketing and they are going to sell their souls to highest bidder, but this shit is just REDICULOUS. Gamespot has placed a VERY annoying 360 ad on only the ps3 and wii pages, i don't know how long this will last but i'm boycotting gamespot news till they get rid of this crap. I feel like i'm looking at a god damn magic eye book or something trying to find the text... can't they at least TRY to be subliminal... jesus[/rant]
I think that means they want to you to become a paid subscriber.

Must...purchase...360.

It's just marketing, like you said. Who knows, it may actually change some minds. Little Johnny could be looking at games for the PS3 or Wii and BAM, smacked in the face with Microsoft marketing. I know it's a foolish thought, but you never know.

It'll be gone soon. Advertisement like that doesn't last too long. In the meantime, just ignore it...or at least try to.

I thought it was pretty funny. It made it basically impossible to read. Of course, the Xbox360 page is completely without such ridiculousness.

If I were GameSpot and MSFT wanted to do that; I'd have done it too.

gamespot sucks.

but there are some nice firefox extensions that take care of that xbox360 junk quite nicely

;)

I say they should keep the ads. That is too damn funny.

I can understand, I bet M$ paid them huge bucks for that.

MrSneis said:
gamespot probably made some serious money off that deal
yea, but it really damn annoying, they need to calm down on some of the shit they are doin on that site

My Solution: Stop going to Gamespot.

Seriously, that site isn't worth shit, hasn't been for some time. Their reviews are half-assed and half of them seem designed to irritate rather than inform, and any news you find there can probably be found elsewhere, without gigantic seizure-inducing ads.

ManCannon said:
My Solution: Stop going to Gamespot.

Seriously, that site isn't worth shit, hasn't been for some time. Their reviews are half-assed and half of them seem designed to irritate rather than inform, and any news you find there can probably be found elsewhere, without gigantic seizure-inducing ads.
I find their reviews to be quite accurate. They often times are close to what I think of the game.

www.gt.tv is my personal fav. IGN and Gamespot are too cluttered, and I don't trust their reviews to represent a game. Really just extended product info.

GameTrailers doesn't update as fast on new stuff but will go in deeper about the game and show video proof of what things are like(often in HD) so you won't look at a screenshot and think it's great, then find out everything clips to hell as soon as you move. Clunky gameplay is put right up front instead of hidden behind stills. It's the only site where I'll let a review influence my decision. Otherwise, I just read reviews for more detailed product info, and use forums for opinions.

After their reviews of Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Deus Ex, and Twilight Princess, I stopped caring what they had to think.

Einhanderkiller said:
I find their reviews to be quite accurate. They often times are close to what I think of the game.

Me too, of all the sites I usually agree with the Gamespot one the most. Also I find the organization of the site better then the other ones.

1up is a close 2nd but gamespot is my main site to go to for information about games.

kelbear said:
www.gt.tv is my personal fav. IGN and Gamespot are too cluttered, and I don't trust their reviews to represent a game. Really just extended product info.

GameTrailers doesn't update as fast on new stuff but will go in deeper about the game and show video proof of what things are like(often in HD) so you won't look at a screenshot and think it's great, then find out everything clips to hell as soon as you move. Clunky gameplay is put right up front instead of hidden behind stills. It's the only site where I'll let a review influence my decision. Otherwise, I just read reviews for more detailed product info, and use forums for opinions.

I'm with you on that one, the few reviews I've seen by them have been great and I really like their format. They really don't get enough recognition for the reviews they do.

Gamespot has ads?

I have flashblock installed so anything that's flash based doesn't play till I tell it too, great for 56k browsing :p

<edit> o.0 I've finally reached teh status of "Gawd"

FYI EVERYONE BLOCKING ADS HERE is about an hour away from kyle seeing this, he will ban you for blocking ads and charge you $1000+ to be unbanned.....it has happened in the past, and I would hope you remove this post before you fall victim to his ego.

You need to just live with it.

23) Any discussion of AD BLOCKING software or instruction for using ad blocking regarding this forum or any other discussion in general of attempting to block advertisement will result in a no questions asked permanent ban on your account. This is not done lightly, rather deliberately to deny access to those who choose to utilize this forum, but not support our sponsors. It takes money to finance the cost of bandwidth, especially a forum of this size and if you don't care enough to support us through our advertisers, then we don't need your business. This will be the only warning with no discussion.

Gamespot is part of cnet which was founded by Paul Allen (of Microsoft fame). You do the math.

Microsoft's ties to the mass media run deep and, combined with a huge advertising budget, this is what you get.

That is funny.

But I have been a complete member for longer than I remember so I never see any ads other than the few on the front page when the site makes me resign in like every two weeks.

Anyone know of good, regularly updated gaming sites? Without much ads?

Teh huge ad banners hurt my eyes.

zooraf said:
Gamespot is part of cnet which was founded by Paul Allen (of Microsoft fame). You do the math.

Microsoft's ties to the mass media run deep and, combined with a huge advertising budget, this is what you get.

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/reviewguidelines.html#questions
"I've seen a lot of advertisements on your site from specific game companies. Does advertising affect your editorial mission in any way, shape, or form?"
Absolutely, positively not. Never in GameSpot's history has money changed hands with regard to a review, nor have we ever altered our verdict about any game due to advertiser pressure. We accept advertising from game publishers so that we can continue to provide you with free, high-quality services. However, GameSpot's business model is founded on the concept that if we provide our users with consistently trustworthy content, then they will visit us often and in great numbers. It is this large, dedicated audience that advertisers wish to speak to. We have operated on these principles for years and will continue to do so.

Einhanderkiller said:
"I've seen a lot of advertisements on your site from specific game companies. Does advertising affect your editorial mission in any way, shape, or form?"
Absolutely, positively not. Never in GameSpot's history has money changed hands with regard to a review, nor have we ever altered our verdict about any game due to advertiser pressure. We accept advertising from game publishers so that we can continue to provide you with free, high-quality services. However, GameSpot's business model is founded on the concept that if we provide our users with consistently trustworthy content, then they will visit us often and in great numbers. It is this large, dedicated audience that advertisers wish to speak to. We have operated on these principles for years and will continue to do so.

Indeed. And fox news is "fair and balanced". :rolleyes:

Judge by the reporting, not PR statements. Personally, I don't see much bias by gamespot, though they do ave alot of sensationalism.

Einhanderkiller said:

Bullshit.

:p

But FWIW I like gamespot, I visit there daily. I have never found the ads that take up the page background all that annoying and actually some of them are done quite well. PErhaps the OP just has his panties in a wad for the mere fact that there are XB360 ads on the Wii/PS3 pages? Hell... I dunno....

And as for their reviews I've found most of them to be spot on. There is the exception now and then, for instance I think Zelda: Twilight Princess deserved at least a 9. :)

Not only is Paul Allen a key benefactor of cnet (which owns gamespot), but Paul Allen also purchased ZDTV from Ziff-Davis. When reading about Zune, xbox, Vista in the "popular" press, follow the money.

Blue Falcon said:
But FWIW I like gamespot, I visit there daily. I have never found the ads that take up the page background all that annoying and actually some of them are done quite well. PErhaps the OP just has his panties in a wad for the mere fact that there are XB360 ads on the Wii/PS3 pages? Hell... I dunno....)

The OP has a legitimate complaint. Look at the screenshot, there's less than 1/3 the page left for content. That's f*ked up.

I haven't trusted gamspot since they went subscription based years ago.. I sent them an e-mail in 1990 something telling them they were sell outs and haven't been back since.

Gamespot is my main source of gaming information. I like the site, reviews are normally reliable. On the silly side bar adverts, it does make the site look cheap. It's been this way for a while, most big games get the treatment. I remember Company of Heroes took over the whole screen as have a few other games

I have to go buy a 360, the 360 remote, the 360 camera and a wireless 360 controller right NOW! :eek:

I find it hillarious that all those accessories are included in the ad as well. Buying the console
is obviously not enough.

I personally don't like the way the navigation is set up at Gamespot. I tend to like the layout of IGN better. But I can't stand the way either site does reviews. I swear the way games are reviewed these days is on a 6-10 scale (I know there are a few exceptions). Maybe games are just getting better. I think an 8 should be a REALLY good game, but it seems now that 8 is slightly above average. An average game should be 5, but now that means a game is pretty horrible. Any recommendations on sites that fully utilize a 1-10 scale (or 1-100 or whatever) ?

Gamespot does this kind of ad for many different games. In a week it will be a different ad for a different product. Advertising is part of our world, get over it.

I personally like Gamespot a lot more then any of the other ad-ridden sites with all sorts of tabs and click here crap like IGN. Gamespot has a very effective layout and I could care less about some ads on the sides when all I'm doing is reading a review. I also believe they have a very good review system. They show the weaknesses of games and I like that.
All you people that think they suck seem to have something in common, one of your games got shot down. Or your just an asshat and say their site is shit and thats all..

XSNiper said:
All you people that think they suck seem to have something in common, one of your games got shot down..

Yeah I mean not like that would be an entirely legitimate reason not to like their reviews, you know if all they did was shit on games you found to be incredible.

Why exactly would you care about the opinion of someone you've never agreed with?

The four games I mentioned were all top-quality to me, and the rest of the gaming press and most gamers agreed. I simply find Gamespot to be out of touch far too often, and their idea of a good game is not in sync with mine, so why should I bother caring what they have to say?

Back